No Modern Transports?

arfalk

Chieftain
I must profess a little ignorance here, as I have yet to play out the entire game. My wife is currently playing it and she's in the modern age. She asked me how to transport units across water and I told her to use a transport. We looked, and we could not find one!

So my question is this, does the Cruiser and/or Battleship double as a transport in this game?

Pardon the ignorance. ;) And thank you!

Any naval unit except submarines transport in Rev.

and one naval unit, aside from subs, can transport every military unit you own in a single trip.

Park a fleet of battleships off the coast of a city and you can attack the city with practically anything and still win the battle. Naval power takes on a whole new definition in this game.

Thanks guys. Thats just so different from previous Civ games; I'm not sure I can wrap my mind around it! :lol:

Quite a bit in Civ:Rev takes an old time Civ player like me to get used to. But I like it, and will continue to play while looking forward to the updates that our favorite developer always gives us.

Although any naval unit, save the sub, will transport all of your units, I think it's best to not put all your eggs in one basket incase you get attacked and you've a bunch of built up army units in a galley or something...

This is of course coming from a Noob of all Noob's, so I could be totally wrong. However, I've lost Galleon's at sea, and I'm glad they were empty at the time...

Cheers,

Mark

One thing I've noticed is that naval units make great bridges for water gaps only one tile wide. It takes a whole turn between putting them off the boat and then moving them to the other side, but it can make a huge difference if you have cities that are a long walk from each other because of water tiles.

What is the advantage of submarines over cruisers?

Submarines have twice the attack rating of cruisers. Subs are 12.2.2 and cruisers are 6.6.5. Notice however, subs only have a 2 defense and even worse have only a 2 movement. I haven't had much luck with subs, they take forever to get anywhere. Subs are also a lot cheaper to build. According to the CivFanatics unit table a sub costs only 25 hammers whereas a cruiser is 40 and a battleship is 80.

Subs are good attacking Cruisers but if the cruiser attack first... GG because the sub defense is very low.

Top Bottom