[MOD] Age of Discovery II

Yeah and I might just use those too. :D Thanks!

I'll be adding other nations to the mod. :)

I haven't tried this mod yet, but an idea--how about adding in techs and a 'research' category of points?

No-brainer: universities generate light bulbs on top of liberty bells. A research tab of the Founding Fathers page reveals a Civ4 type tech tree. Dale's first AoD mod for vanilla Civ4 as the inspiration for the tech tree.
Possibly at least one new building to make light bulbs: an observatory, and maybe an Edison-esque laboratory.

Also, have you thought about adding new, non-militaristic victories? I know there are some mods out there that add Conquest and Domination back in, but I'm more of a peaceful player...

I was thinking about:

Religious Victory: Establish a Mission in at least 60% of native settlements, produce X crosses.
Diplomatic Victory: Gain a voice in Parlament by being loyal to the king and appealing ot the aristocracy.
Dominion Victory(Independence/Domination Hybrid) Control 33% of the land mass and population - obtain 50% Rebel Sentiment(No WoI required)

Yes, I have plans to expand both those ideas. :D

Dale,

How is the Devout trait working out? What's its benefits and drawbacks compared to Tolerant? I was just wondering because I'm trying to create my own Portugal mod and I was leaning towards something along the lines of Devout, but was not certain what percent to add because I was wondering if +25% would step on the toes of Tolerant (-25% crosses for immigration) since the production bonus to crosses has increases potency once you declare the WoI since crosses are then also added to either LB or Production.

Thanks,
Joseph

Works well, and it is a clear difference in trait. Tolerant is very useful early on making immigration faster, and cheaper, whereas Devout works great in getting religous FF points.

With firebrands in churchs/cathedrals, both countries will create immigrants at the same speed, but it's the difference between the early benefit of faster immigration before churchs/cathedrals are built (generally the first 100 turns) and faster religious FF production and later cross conversion in WoI (generally the last 100 turns).

It's my experience they're fairly accurately balanced. :)

hi dale... i really enjoy the new version. it works fine... but is there a way to disable the pirates as long as this feature is more an idea than a full player power? most of the times they are getting killed really fast by the natives or they are killing my fleets all the time... i really get annoyed by early pirate ships cruising around and hunting my fluyts... ;)

@macondo

One thing you can do is to open the World Builder on the first turn before you move and delete the pirtate ship then close the WBS without saving. They will dispatch another ship from Europe but it gives you a few turns of peace to get started. Not to mention the other civs because I find it pretty frustrating to see the compitition wiped out on the first few turns.

Works well, and it is a clear difference in trait. Tolerant is very useful early on making immigration faster, and cheaper, whereas Devout works great in getting religous FF points.

Good to hear that its a clear difference... ;)

With firebrands in churchs/cathedrals, both countries will create immigrants at the same speed, but it's the difference between the early benefit of faster immigration before churchs/cathedrals are built (generally the first 100 turns) and faster religious FF production and later cross conversion in WoI (generally the last 100 turns).

Interesting... so Tolerant is a solid early and mid game trait, while Devout gets better and better as the game goes along... I can live with that.

It's my experience they're fairly accurately balanced. :)

Cool, then I think I'll stick with Devout since the history of Portugal at that time lends itself to proclaiming the faith. I'd love to have something with missionaries and conversion (since that was a heavy focus for them), but I'm not certain if the overarching trait for the civilization should be so narrow.

I even considered having a missionary on the first ship, but I thought that might be a disadvantage and there are only two slots in the starting ship.

Thanks,
Joseph

PS: I would also suggest you look at Dom Pedro II (Dom Pedro I is a FF), because he was the second emperor of Brazil and would make a great leader. I only mention it because I noticed in the civipedia entries all the other leaders are revolutionary figures whereas your leaders for Portugal are more of the founding fathers of Portugal's colonies.
PSS: Do you know if there is a way to add FF to the game? I was thinking of adding Sousa, and a few other Portugal-based FF if I could.

macondo, if you want to disable the Pirates without having to open WorldBuilder every game, go into the AoDII folder \Assets\XML\Civilizations and open CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Next, find <Type>CIVILIZATION_PIRATES</Type> (It's the last civilization entry in the file)
Under that, change
Code:
<bPlayable>[B]1[/B]</bPlayable>
<bAIPlayable>[B]1[/B]</bAIPlayable>

to
Code:
<bPlayable>[B]0[/B]</bPlayable>
<bAIPlayable>[B]0[/B]</bAIPlayable>
and save the file. Now you don't have to worry about the pirates anymore.

Also, have you thought about adding new, non-militaristic victories? I know there are some mods out there that add Conquest and Domination back in, but I'm more of a peaceful player...

I was thinking about:

Religious Victory: Establish a Mission in at least 60% of native settlements, produce X crosses.
Diplomatic Victory: Gain a voice in Parlament by being loyal to the king and appealing ot the aristocracy.
Dominion Victory(Independence/Domination Hybrid) Control 33% of the land mass and population - obtain 50% Rebel Sentiment(No WoI required)

I think the religious victory would be more interesting if it were also a pro-native victory. Perhaps make it like 70% of the native settlements at the start of the game. Otherwise destroying native villages would just up your percentage. So if it is based on the original number of native villages then you'd have to defend the natives from being wiped out by other powers.

Then again the natives can start new settlements, so... it may be tough.

Is it possible to have the natives not spawn randomly around. Tupi was based in brazil/amazon were they not? I have had them pop up on west coast of north america. And the apache was in brazil. Kind of wrong if u ask me.

I though people had fixed these issues by now. Except from that it is a great mod and a nice bunch of fixes.

It's a shame that the mod contest is US only, you'd be a solid lock if it weren't, Dale

Is it possible to have the natives not spawn randomly around. Tupi was based in brazil/amazon were they not? I have had them pop up on west coast of north america. And the apache was in brazil. Kind of wrong if u ask me.

I though people had fixed these issues by now. Except from that it is a great mod and a nice bunch of fixes.

That's an extension to the regions concept I've added. That natives appear in their hemisphere on the map too. So if the map has north and south america defined in the scenario then north natives appear above the halfway line, south natives below, and natives with both define appear in the central belt (like Aztec for instance). But that's for a future version. :)

It's a shame that the mod contest is US only, you'd be a solid lock if it weren't, Dale

There are other competitions. :)

Age of Discovery for vanilla Civ4 won E-Games & Entertainment Expo 2006 for instance. :)

thx cassius for your help... i will disable them now. but i hope they will be a full player power soon. :)

You could always use my map. It has all the natives placed correctly.

Dale,

Can I use your AOEII files as a template for my Portugal mod? This is my first mod and I think I'd do better working off of a starting template and then changing things to see what works and what does not.

Thanks,
Joseph

PS: I just put together a list of historical cities founded in Brazil in mostly chronological order (31 so far)... If you'd like to have the code for AoDII let me know and I'll post it here. ;)

Top Bottom