The Celts

sputttnik

Chieftain
>> The Ancient Celts <<

Features:

- Two new Celtic units; Druid and Tribe
- New improvement; Hill Fort
- New leader; Brennus
- New promotions for unique units; Ritual of Mistletoe and Oak, Celtic Charge.
- New leader trait; Celtic Animism
- Unique Celtic Tribe names
- New civilopedia text for all the above

- 2D artwork; icons, leader portraits, unit flags, map, loading screen etc.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Code:
Install Instructions:

-Extract downloaded file with Winrar to C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS.
-Alternatively search 'The Ancient Celts' from the browse online mods from the game menu.

PLEASE NOTE! REQUIRES INSTALLATION OF ALL DLC 01-04​

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Stage Info:
Code:
Version 1
- Balance Testing / COMPLETE
- Civilopedia Text Entries / COMPLETE 
- City Names / COMPLETE
- Tribe Names / COMPLETE

Version 2
- Adjustments for AI control / COMPLETE

Version 3
- Improved AI flavours / COMPLETE
- Celt AI more competitive / COMPLETE
- Druids built by AI controlled Celts / COMPLETE
- Tribe built by AI controlled Celts / COMPLETE
- Settlers now upgradeable to Tribe / COMPLETE
- Hill Fort now causes 2 damage to nearby enemies / COMPLETE

Version 4
- XML terrain correction (TERRAIN_HILL) / COMPLETE
- Fixed for [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=436912"]IngameEditor[/URL] thanks to DonQuiche

Version 5
- Fixed city name text entry 'Vaerlamion' / COMPLETE
- Fixed units for World Builder / COMPLETE
- Tribe unit now quicker to build / COMPLETE
- Changed civilopedia entry / COMPLETE

Version 6 & 7
- Fixed Settler availability after Steam Power / COMPLETE
:mad:
Firaxis: Fix your tools and give us leaderheads!

I really hope your 7/1/12 date means January 7th and not July 1st. The Euro/American date thing is always confusing.

Are those custom graphics for the Hill Fort? Or is that an unused asset in the game?

looks very good!

I really hope your 7/1/12 date means January 7th and not July 1st. The Euro/American date thing is always confusing

Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. its 7th Jan but progress has gone really well and I expect to release the mod tomorrow ;)

Are those custom graphics for the Hill Fort? Or is that an unused asset in the game?

The Hill Fort is from DLC04 Scenario, Motte and Bailey asset. I haven't played the scenario so I don't know if it is used or not.

Looks really nice but what are the stats for the UU?

Sure :)

Leader Trait - Celtic Animism (melee units get +15% bonus when within 2 tiles of animal camp, also +15% bonus against fortified units.

Druid - Great Person (non-combat) scout +1, medic 1, causes fear 2 tiles, forest double speed.

Tribe - Settler/Worker combo, has combat strength 7, can build limited improvements including Hill Fort, gets a unique Celtic tribe name.

Hill Fort - Maintenance 2 Gold, Defensive bonus 35%, damage enemy -1 within 1 tile, provides +1 culture +1 production.

Check here for more info:

Spoiler :

How do Druids spawn then? Does the ai understand how to use either unit? Multirole noncombatant units always seem to have head smacking moments

How do Druids spawn then?

Druids are recruitable,

Does the ai understand how to use either unit? Multirole noncombatant units always seem to have head smacking moments

The mod was developed with a player controlled Celtic faction in mind and I have only tested one quick paced game with a Celtic AI faction.

To be honest, Im not sure how the AI will treat the new units and Hill Fort improvement. The faction certainly seems to function well and is competitive enough although I have not yet noticed it using Hill Forts or the new units. I dont know if the AI recognises that new additions are available or that it just chooses not to build them. Obviously the AI can still take advantage of the Leader trait and because I have not replaced any units for the Celts the AI controlled faction will not be at a particular disadvantage.

Maybe if these units became replacements then the AI may be 'forced' to build them? trouble is I would not want to replace the Great General with the Druid.

Please note this is not to say that the AI wont build or use these units, more testing of the Celtic AI will be required to determine this.

Certainly if there are problems with the AI using the new units I will be glad to to improve on this for a v2. I didn't pay particular attention to a Celtic AI controlled faction as the mod was developed primarily because I was bored playing the other vanilla factions and always wanted to play Civ V as the Celts.

It would be great to get some feedback regarding the gameplay of the mod so I can get a better idea how the AI uses this faction and the new units.

May I make a suggestion? If the Druid is a non-combat unit, then make them have the great General AI. That way, the AI will still use them as medics and possibly the combat penalty. If you make them scouts and they can't defend, then the AI will just lose every druid they use.

For the Tribe, give them the settle AI so that they'll use them for settling. That's more advantageous than them using them just to work tiles.

You can set more than one AI, but I believe one is default. Set the default to settling and then give them both settling and working, that should make them use them properly.

Hopefully. XD

For the Tribe, give them the settle AI so that they'll use them for settling. That's more advantageous than them using them just to work tiles.

You can set more than one AI, but I believe one is default. Set the default to settling and then give them both settling and working, that should make them use them properly.

How are the Spain DLC conquistadors set up in the AI? They can settle.

Cheers for the suggestions :)

How are the Spain DLC conquistadors set up in the AI? They can settle.

Conquistadors are set up as melee units for AI. The Tribe is already on settle AI as the 1st and worker 2nd. The problem is/was that the AI wouldnt build them. Besides, I have a new method:

- Celtic Settler is a new unit that is basically a settler for Celtic civ, only difference is that it will become obsolete with Bronze Working, that leaves only the Tribe as a settling unit for the AI. This works. In my test game the AI is now using them to build settlements when Settlers become unavailable, although I doubt that it will use them for much else.

I will give Celtic workers the ability to build Hill Forts.. that should help.

I don't think AI Conquistadors will settle. The AI is not set to settle as them. Which I think is best for the AI. They'll move Conquistadors to a spot 4 hexes from a city, to where they think they should build them, but since it's on the same continent, they won't be able to settle. Then they'll idle like a city-state would if you block their initial city placement. That's bad for the AI. That's why the AI conquistadors don't settle.

The AI will build units as long as they have a flavor for them. They don't know/care what the unit does or how it behaves, as long as they have a flavor.

Now, if the AI unit is set to settle and their flavor is expansion, they will only build the unit when they want to expand. But um...I think there are some flags that need to be set as well, special to a settler only: "CIVILIAN_ATTACK_PRIORITY_HIGH_EARLY_GAME_ONLY". You are setting up a unique settler unit that can also work. This will be inherently troublesome for the AI. It's just a given just from the nature of the unit. XD

Good luck. :p

The AI will build units as long as they have a flavor for them. They don't know/care what the unit does or how it behaves, as long as they have a flavor.

I thought as much, I am testing this at the moment to see if I can get the AI to build Druids, I have set the defence flavour pretty high.

I think there are some flags that need to be set as well, special to a settler only: "CIVILIAN_ATTACK_PRIORITY_HIGH_EARLY_GAME_ONLY ". You are setting up a unique settler unit that can also work. This will be inherently troublesome for the AI. It's just a given just from the nature of the unit.

AI is now using the Tribe effectively to settle and I have set as:

Code:
<CombatClass>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</CombatClass>

with no problems.

EDIT

I have changed AI flavors and the computer now builds Druids.

Top Bottom