Changes for v1.10

Prinz, I tried what you'd asked, playing on Patriot and seeing if you could beat the comp to DOI... I went right to 1792 and the comp actually never declared independence at all. Kind of odd... what made it more odd was that by about 1630 any of the other euro colonies were probably capable of it but just didn't do it. I'd long since given up before 1792 and just pressed enter through each turn... if I didn't do that I theoretically could've won but it would've been a crappy victory as any of the comps could've long beat me to it, they just would've 'let' me catch up and win.

Ridiculous how fast the computer expands on Patriot. By the early 1600's most of their numerous colonies are double digit in size, and have stacks of 10+ military units in each. Plus they seem to have an endless fleet of frigates. And they seem to have no trouble with the natives... in the beginning the natives seem perfectly happy to let them build settlements like crazy all over their land :p

Cool. Really it's weird it didn't trigger DoI.

When a declaration happens surprisingly their King has a ridiculously small REF.

Thank you very much for what you did. Now you may realise, I am not crazy. :)

I haven't been paying attention to the size of the AI REFs, but if it is significantly smaller then I find that to be counterintuitive, since the AIs seem to prioritize bell production. I have to ramp it up pretty quickly to keep up with them, which of course gives me a rather large REF to struggle with.

first of all, thanks for the great mod.

second, this is my first post. hello all.

im test running the 1.10v. two runs (huge, fairyweather, marathon) and got following bugs:

1) played portuguese and no other "major" europeans appeared, only china/russia/australia and pirates.

2) played english, got economic victory on turn three. barely discovered the new world and.. bang! im the champ.

1) so it randomly selects between all nations with the maximum of civs on a map being 5?

edit: figured it out

in the mean time. try three.

disabled australians and set pirates as comp only (changed respective values to 0 in civinfo xml, that should do it right?).

started a game with the english as george washington... and the first ship that hails me is john adams in nifty orange colors. is this supposed to be (didn't find this in the original forums)?

edit: think i found the answer here.. its the defaultplayers in civ4worldinfo.xml file isnt it? btw, i think it is actually pretty cool to have all the leaders on the map at the same time. ill try it out.

edit: tried it. pretty ok, aside from the colors. also there is no way you can recruit any of the founding fathers this way.

also, as pointed out by others before, the ai expanding is ridiculous. they just drop their stuff at random places. and might i say, im playing explorer/conquistador difficulties atm (noob).

edit: try four with all the leaders. turn 100, i got two colonies, carefully planned, closest ai has five colonies. my first one is bigger than theirs, but the biggest still belong to ai and are twice as big. hope this made sense. i'm not saying that i'm surprised, but still... can't the ai be a little less... inhuman?

another thing i have noticed, is that ai seems to get a (bunch) galleon(s) real quick. is this a bug somehow? it just seems as if the start out with a gold bonus or something (explorer difficulty).

Tried running a game on conquistador yesterday. Got to 1652 and declared independence... one of the AI euro colonies won an economic victory the next turn. Pretty early for an economic victory I'd say. Especially since by then I had only traded 30,000 goods myself vs their 100,000.

On conquistador, while the euro colonies grew faster than me and plopped down lots of cities quickly, it was not ridiculous. Until the final version of 1.10 comes out, it's a good level to play on (with economic victory disabled).

I've been playing (with v1.09) at patriot level and things seem to go pretty well. the AI expands a lot, but they are still manageable.

In the early game, I destroyed two AI colonials nearby, then a third that was quite far away on the main continent by mid-game. Sending combined forces with infantry (for the added defense bonuses in woods and hills), canons (to reduce city defenses) and dragoons (to destroy enemy units) was essential. In the late game, I went against the Netherlands which had 8 very large and well-defended cities on a separate island. my first force of six soldiers was wiped out on the turn after landing. I sent another force of twelve soldiers (half veterans) just after getting the FF who gives defense bonuses for woods & hills, and they survived. After adding several boatloads of canons and dragoons, I was able to take out their cities one by one. I then sent the entire force against the English who had a similar empire on a different island at the other side of the map, which left me as the sole colonial empire on the map.

Sadly, since I've been playing on a sub-spec laptop, my game always crashes before reaching independence - too many units, too many cities. So I still don't know how the WoI would have gone. Well, I think, as I had two dozen Ships of the Line and well over 50 veterans in good defensive positions, and loads of canons.

The Netherlands and English had been very effective, and had "stolen" some dozen high-level FFs that I would have liked to have, but that's the game, eh? Making choices and competing with the AI.

If in newer versions (v1.10+) of the mod the AI is even more effective at higher difficulty levels, that would be good. It shouldn't be easy to win at higher difficulty levels. That's the whole point of scaling difficulty levels.

Great work, Dale.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Is there anyway to remove the base camp thing?

Attachments

• col bug.JPG
    col bug.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 125
Do you mean just remove the start building? Yes you can do that (but dont forget to change that the next building does not need it).

i've been toying with the idea of increasing the number of starting units. it should add a whole new dimension to the starting tactics and might be bit more realistic (columbus had three ships if i recall correctly..).

anyways, i was thinking about throwing in two-three caravels (or equivalents) at start and wider selection of units: the traditional soldiers and pioneers, but scouts seem tempting along with some master units depending on civ (a firebrand preacher for the english to represent the puritans etc). no more than 6 units though.

maybe 2 ships on large and 3 on huge. i only play huge myself anyway.

oh and independent of the previous idea i've currently played a game where i've given civs slightly different starting units than vanilla:

*french and dutch stayed as they were
*english got a colonist/soldier and preacher/pioneer (for affore mentioned reasons)
*spanish got a veteran/soldier and a veteran/pioneer (bloodhungry reconquista vets)
*portuguese got a colonist/scout and a colonist/pioneer (not a seasoned scout as i was afraid it would overpower them somehow. it actually didn't).

another thing i have noticed, is that ai seems to get a (bunch) galleon(s) real quick. is this a bug somehow? it just seems as if the start out with a gold bonus or something (explorer difficulty).

this is quite ridiculous. ill try and get some screenshots of the AI with three colonies and 4-6 galleons around 30 turns into game.

the earliest AI galleon i have seen is on turn 19 (!) on explorer/marathon/huge.

I did notice (RC version of 1.10) that the AIs seemed to have a plethora of galleons very early. However, I just attributed this to a presumed starting gold bonus. I figure they must start out with some cash and they use it on galleons.

I finished a game yesterday and again my king won by economic victory before I could do anything.

Top Bottom