Where to from here?

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
I'm sure everyone has noticed my time for C4C modding has been cut drastically in the last few months. Real Life has had a habit of really taking off for me.

However, I hope to get one last patch out (maybe a 2nd depending on the bugs still left in 1.11) before hanging up the towel. :)

Here's what I have to do for 1.11 so far:

Code:
1.11 ToDo List:

- Turn off "Advisor Popup Menu" to fix MP oos bug.
- Slow down AI expansion.
- Expansion plateaus halfway through game.
- AI galleons appear too early.
- EuropeScreen patch by Koma13.
- AI too peaceful.
- REF too strong at higher levels.
- Fortress canon fire doesn't work.
- First colony have basic buildings.
- Map calendars are funky.
- Turn off Pirates.
- Pasture has 2 workers when should be 1.
- Blacksmith Shelter should have 1 worker output 2, not 2 workers output 3 (which is same as next level up).
- Turn off ship selling.
- OOS when buying shortfall.
- Check gun prices.
- Repeatable CTD.
- A surprise.

Is there anything else that you can think of that needs fixing in 1.10? :)

A surprise? And chocolate too?? :p

Will pirates be ai only, or absent entirely, and will the code be still in there in the latter case??

Edit: Saw your post in the Playable Natives thread. Cheers :)

Glad to see you back, Dale! I totally understand about the life thing. :)

Did you see the private message that I sent you about John Harvard? I'm sure that you probably get more than 1 private message, so if you missed it, I can try to send it again. I basically tried to describe the crash we get with John Harvard and putting students in universities. I didn't want to clog the forum up with potentially long and useless info, hence the PM.

For anyone reading this please tell me, what is CTD? Forgive my ignorance, most of the abbreviations I can figure out, but haven't gotten this one yet. Thanks!!

Thanks again, Dale for fixing this wonderful mod that you've created!! :goodjob:

:)

@Dale: It's good that you're going to address the outstanding issues. :)

CTD is a Crash To Desktop. It's when the game completely crashes. I remember being confused by that one.

Good stuff coming I see. Thanks for all your work Dale and others.

I would like to see a listing of how long until a free colonist learns the profession he is currently working on. Say he has been fishing for a while and you click on him. It would say something like "22 more turns until expert fisherman". As well this would be great if it applied to indentured servants, natives etc and listed how many turns until they became free colonists.

Right now the only thing that jesuit missionaries do is spawn natives to join you. The original Colonization also had jesuit missionaries improving relations with that native tribe over time. This would be a nice feature to implement. It would be slow but over say 50 turns it would give +1 relations. Not much effect if you spread your missionaries among a few tribes. However if you concentrated them on one tribe then that tribe could become a solid ally. This has historical prescedents.

Thanks in advance

@Dale: It's good that you're going to address the outstanding issues. :)

CTD is a Crash To Desktop. It's when the game completely crashes. I remember being confused by that one.

Thanks! I thought it was probably something like that. (I was guessing Crash Til DEATH har har). That's one of those "oh duh" things... sheesh. :crazyeye:

thanks again!

....before hanging up the towel.
I think you'll never hang up the towel, and so it is good.
Civilization/Colonization needs modders like you...

Its the same to me, sometimes I havent time to play or mod Civilization, or I am doing something other. But everytime I return to Civilization. This game never lets go real fans :)

Welcome back

First off thanks Dale for all the work you've put into this. This is one of my favourite old time games and the version firaxis originally put out butchered it. Your work pretty much saved the game, as no other mod even comes close.

That said, two issues I think might need to be added to the list:

1) When you're training guys in schools, moving the mouse over them tells you what they're training in, but it's always incorrect. Training a veteran soldier, and it'll say you're training a master weaver or something... of course you end up getting the correct unit when it's done. Also the train times stated are not always accurate (maybe they're just estimates?)

2) This might not be a bug, but if you destroy all the REF's war galleons and they still have troops, they don't surrender... you have to kill all the man o' wars too, which can be annoying because after a few turns they seem to end up randomly dispersed across the globe. They should give up fighting after they have no means to transport troops.

I think you'll never hang up the towel, and so it is good.
Civilization/Colonization needs modders like you...

Its the same to me, sometimes I havent time to play or mod Civilization, or I am doing something other. But everytime I return to Civilization. This game never lets go real fans :)

Welcome back

When I say "hang up the towel" I mean for Civ4/C4C. :)

I took a 18 month break between CTP2 modding (which was three years of modding for CTP2) and starting the Civ4 project, and I'm starting to feel a bit burnt out with Civ4/C4C. Some people forget that the time involved includes the time on the beta team, which means for me I've been constantly modding Civ4/C4C for four and a half years now.

I just need a break before the next one (and I'm sure there will be a next one) and find some other game to entertain me for a year or two. :)

First off thanks Dale for all the work you've put into this. This is one of my favourite old time games and the version firaxis originally put out butchered it. Your work pretty much saved the game, as no other mod even comes close.

Thanks, it's nice to hear things like this. :)

That said, two issues I think might need to be added to the list:

1) When you're training guys in schools, moving the mouse over them tells you what they're training in, but it's always incorrect. Training a veteran soldier, and it'll say you're training a master weaver or something... of course you end up getting the correct unit when it's done. Also the train times stated are not always accurate (maybe they're just estimates?)

Sounds like the counter is one off what it should be. That's going on the list. :)

2) This might not be a bug, but if you destroy all the REF's war galleons and they still have troops, they don't surrender... you have to kill all the man o' wars too, which can be annoying because after a few turns they seem to end up randomly dispersed across the globe. They should give up fighting after they have no means to transport troops.

That's how I intended it as the REF gets galleon transports for free. I haven't heard anyone else complain about this, so I'll probably leave this as it is for the time being.

That's how I intended it as the REF gets galleon transports for free.

Ah, that explains why their ship count practically doubles when you declare independence.

Not a big deal, it's not normally worth trying to win a naval battle anyways. You need dozens of ships of the line, and even then can only win because the comp is not good at guarding their war galleons.

Edit: Correction, you only need dozens upon dozens of ships of the line if cannons don't fire from fortresses :p...

That's how I figured it. 99% of the time you don't even consider naval win being a chance due to the MoW numbers. Plus, building a navy was mostly pointless for the REF anyways. However with galleons as transports you have a fighting chance to take out some of the REF before it lands (and the MoW's catch you). I found in testing I was looking forward to a few rounds of naval strategy before the MoW's made it too hard.

Made all those promoted privateers and frigates from the mid-game useful for a few turns. :)

Good stuff coming I see. Thanks for all your work Dale and others.

I would like to see a listing of how long until a free colonist learns the profession he is currently working on. Say he has been fishing for a while and you click on him. It would say something like "22 more turns until expert fisherman". As well this would be great if it applied to indentured servants, natives etc and listed how many turns until they became free colonists.

Right now the only thing that jesuit missionaries do is spawn natives to join you. The original Colonization also had jesuit missionaries improving relations with that native tribe over time. This would be a nice feature to implement. It would be slow but over say 50 turns it would give +1 relations. Not much effect if you spread your missionaries among a few tribes. However if you concentrated them on one tribe then that tribe could become a solid ally. This has historical prescedents.

Thanks in advance
I like all of your idea.:goodjob:

When I say "hang up the towel" I mean for Civ4/C4C. :)

I took a 18 month break between CTP2 modding (which was three years of modding for CTP2) and starting the Civ4 project, and I'm starting to feel a bit burnt out with Civ4/C4C. Some people forget that the time involved includes the time on the beta team, which means for me I've been constantly modding Civ4/C4C for four and a half years now.

I just need a break before the next one (and I'm sure there will be a next one) and find some other game to entertain me for a year or two. :)

This is a really long Civlife that you've lived... Than lets hope that Civ5 will be released after your Year of break :D

This is a really long Civlife that you've lived... Than lets hope that Civ5 will be released after your Year of break :D

I might go try my hand at CitiesXL when it comes out last quarter. I made a heap of buildings for SimCity4 and I've been waiting for a worthy successor since. I hope CXL will be it. :D

I can even make 3D buildings in Maya now, so I'll probably end up modding there.

I don't know whether fantasy is your thing, but Elemental looks like it's going to be a good modding platform:

http://www.elementalgame.com/journals.asp

They have said they want it to be so modable that you could do any kind of mod with it.

If possible, it would be great if the hotseat (or probably general MP) trade bug could be fixed for the last version of AOD II...it's in since version 1.00 of the vanilla game...it occurs whenever you try to trade goods with another human player. You enter his or her settlement, you call up the trade screen and make your offer, but when the other player has his/her turn, only the gold part is on the screen, but the goods have vanished (so it's effectively like making a demand/gift in the end).

Save (with AOD II 1.10)

1. Enter trade negotiations in Santo Domingo
2. Offer Tools or Gun for any price of Gold and offer the deal
3. Click through the turns until Spain (Simon Bolivar) has its turn
4. See the upcoming trade screen without the goods

Attachments

• AODII1.10-hotseattradebug.ColonizationSave
    190.8 KB · Views: 78
OOS when buying shortfall.

What does OOS mean? I've experienced a bug with shortfalls, maybe its what you're describing. What I've seen is that when I'm producing a building that requires 100 tools, but I only have 30 tools in the city, I'll be charged the 100 tools shortfall cost AND the 30 tools in my city will be removed. What should happen is I should keep my 30 tools and pay a 100 tools shortfall cost OR I should lose the 30 tools but only have to pay a 70 tool shortfall cost.

Another item that I think might be a bug. When I build a printing press, both the newspaper and telegraph buildings become available. Shouldn't I have to build a printing press and a newspaper before the telegraph becomes available?

For my pie in the sky suggestion- Improve the import and export management. Currently you can set a limit of how much of an item you will need to store in a settlement before you export that good. I suggest you add a limit for imports as well. You could set a limit of 200 lumber imports, causing wagon trains to stop shipping lumber to that settlement once it has 200.

The workaround that I've been using is setting lumber to both import and export. I think this method uses a lot more wagon trains though.

OOS is called Out Of Synch. It happens in MP games only when one or more players' games are not in synch, in other words some game state has different results than the other. Since the CIV engine operates on purely P2P there is no HOST - CLIENT relationship so it simply breaks the game.

Top Bottom