Qsc18r2- Pictish Warrior Insanity - Player signups

cracker

Gil Favor's Sidekick
This Quick Game will be a Monarch or Regent level game played on exactly the same setup as Gotm18-Celts with the exception that the Barbarian intensity setting will be increaased to Raging and the A/D/M settings for the Pictish Warrior barbarians will be increased to settings determined by the player pool. The starting save file will be released in either Civ3v1.29 and/or PTW formats depending on player requests.

This quick game is open to all players and the number of slots in the game will be technically unlimited.

Player participation requirements will include short summary timelines (a paragragh or so) for each 30 turn block of time with specific details required for dealing with any barbarian activity. The game will end 30 turns after the second civ in the game has entered into the middle ages. Play will begin on a date defined by the players who register but sometime after April 20th, 2003.

Objectives
1) provide a little bit of wild barbarian diversion and excitement
2) facilitate some key event comparisons between two levels of barbarian intensity on the same map.
3) facilitate a closer discusion of specific barbarian behavior differences between PTW and Civ3v1.29.

Please post a message to this thread if you will be interested in participating in the game. There are three elemenst of the game setup that you may want to address when you indicata that you would like to signup:
1) can you play Civ3v1.29 or PTW or either one?
2) what would you suggest for the increased A/D/M values for the barabarian warriors ?
3) would you like the map maker to do something to increase the rate of technology progression so that the game will go a little bit quicker?

We will also need two players to volunteer to sort of facilitate the flow of the game progress and timeline reporting, so if you would be interested in volunteering please indicate so when you register.

I would be interested if I'm good enough.
I can play either Vanilla or PTW (1.14).
I think barb ADM at 212 would be plenty difficult enough. I think 2 movement is important, as a choice will be made as to whether horsemen or UU would be the unit of choice and both have movement = 2.
I really don't mind tech rates being low. If the game is regent this should speed it up a bit anyway.

I'm not sure that I have the experience to be a facilitator. But if you can't find anyone better then I'd be pleased to volunteer.

I'm interested. I can only handle 1.29f; I don't have PTW.

I think it would be interesting to have to face the equivalent of Barbarian Swordsmen and Barbarian Knights; alternatively, you could just add 1 to the movement (making the warriors move at the speed of horsemen, and the horsemen move at the speed of cavalry).

I don't think any faster technology would be necessary, though I wouldn't object to it. At Regent/Monarch level, that would tend to help the AIs more than the human, though, wouldn't it?

Gazza666: Your suggestion smacks of masochism. I'm up for it. :)

Yes, tech progression will be quicker at higher difficulty levels. I misread crackers post. I realised my stupidity as I closed my laptop lid and just haven't bothered to correct it.

So thats' two. If cracker needs me to coerce (sp?) a few more players just say so. I don't think this thread/forum is widely known.

@mad-bax: seems you already started, I got your PM.

I just submitted GOTM18, so I do have some time. Moreover I need some fighting experience (again a 'peaceful' win this month...), so this could be a chance to practice a bit. I can play both CivIII and PTW, although my PTW experience is limited. I only find time to play the tourny and GOTM and I use CivIII, which I know and love, to have some chance of keeping up with you guys/gals.

Count me in!!

This sounds like it will be right up my time restrained alley.
I've got both van civ and PTW with lastest patches.

Just a quick question about the objectives.

"1)provide a little bit of wild barbarian diversion and excitement"
How about celtic warriors or hoplites as the barbs? The celts are the best offense and the hoplites the best defense in the first era. That would be a challenge. Or perhaps more than 2 types of land barbs?

"2) facilitate some key event comparisons between two levels of barbarian intensity on the same map"
I dont understand what you mean by 2 levels of barb intensity.
Do you mean the same map with 2 different barbarian settings played on different saves?

I've never played on regent before so it should be a real eye opener.

I've just read through the andyhandy game. Will this game be along the same lines as that one was?

I PM'd half dozen or so people. Because of the holidays and stuff I don't know if some of them have even visited the forums lately.

Raw Power is being a bit of whimp and pretending he's busy. Pity, he's a decent player. I can tell he wants to play tho'.

I'll be ready to play after Easter. Athough there are only four of us at the moment we could make a start anyway. I would be ready to start Tuesday onwards.

Sir Eric and A space oddity, what ADM points do you want for the barbs? Gazza666 wants knights. Me, I'd prefer a shot at building a second City. so 212 or 222 for me, but I'll go as high as you like.
Hoplites are 131 AFAIK, is that as high as you'd go Sir Eric?

Also Cracker wants to know if you want tech rates artificially accellerated. He PM'd me and explained why it might be a good idea because we'd get the end of era uprising earlier in the game. If he thinks it's a good idea then it probably is.

Will someone else PM Raw Power please, just to give him a push?

Styler1 will probably play too. He doesn't post though, he is just a lo life lurker. (I work with him so I'm (nearly) allowed to say that). :cool:

Isn't this group a little bit too small to start? If I understand correctly there need to be two groups to compare notes. We need to use CivIII if we want Gazza666 to join (and we do!). That would make 4 of us. I'll PM Raw Power, but that leaves us at best at five, seems to be a bit meagre (sp?) to spread over two groups.

Anyways, like I said, warring is not my strong point (yet ;) ), so 212 and 222 is scary enough, but like mad-bax, I will try to handle anything that's thrown at me.

There is no real minimum size for the groups. The idea is to let you have a little fun with the GOTM games either as an add-on or as an introduction to the process.

I also want to encourage you to live a littel and experiment. Things can be lots of fun when your perspective lets you let loose a bit and "Carpe Diem". ;)

Count me in as well. I just fell into some sparetime for the next weeks so I will soon be looking for some action with my GOTM18 coming to an imminent end in the next day or so.

Wether I live and let live or die and let die I look forward to some spicy barbaric action.

Originally posted by mad-bax

Sir Eric and A space oddity, what ADM points do you want for the barbs? Gazza666 wants knights. Me, I'd prefer a shot at building a second City. so 212 or 222 for me, but I'll go as high as you like.
Hoplites are 131 AFAIK, is that as high as you'd go Sir Eric?

Also Cracker wants to know if you want tech rates artificially accellerated. He PM'd me and explained why it might be a good idea because we'd get the end of era uprising earlier in the game. If he thinks it's a good idea then it probably is.

212 or 222 is good for me. any higher and it might be a little too hard in the beggining. With the barbs on raging that means that there will be a lot more of them so having the settings higher would be almost suicidal.
Maybe hoplites would be a little too hard to have right at the start especially if all we've got is warriors.
I think having the warrior barb at 212 and the horseman at 222(or maybe 223?) would be enough of a challenge without being TOO much of a challenge.

What about the ocean going barbs? I once had battleships as the default barbs ship instead of galleys. It was played on a small archipelligo map so I didn't loose too many galleys. Although that may be a bit of overkill (again), so how about frigates?

I WANT ARTIFICIALLY ACCELERATED TECH RATES!!!:)

With so much emphasis on building military units early on to counter for the barb onslaught, with an increased tech rate it wouldn't take as long to research other units that could stand alone against the barbs and therefore leave the city and go out and explore the map. But with the increased barb activity and hit points then exploration will be put off until defenses are adequate enough to protect the capital so an accelerated tech rate may off set this slightly (hopefuly).

Can you or cracker explain what the "end of era uprising earlier in the game" means? Are you talking about changing gov's? Or is it something that happens on regent level? I've never played regent or monarch so I dont know if it is a level specific thing or not. Thanks.:)

:crazyeye:

OK, Count me in, (Thanks Mad Bax, now they all know!). I'll check back more often to see what's happening.

Si

I posted a comment to this effect in the regular spoilers, that is make them 2/1! That nice art should have an equally useful nice attack. ;)

I'm downloading it now, is there anything else special that needs to be done? I can play either version, but prefer PTW (for the UI improvements mostly).
I think what turned out (I'm posting a bit late.) works out fine, 2/1 and 3/2. Improved movement doesn't amount to much for barbs since they aren't campaigning, just appearing. However, changing them so they go after actual military units would be a much bigger effect. Attacking a city when you are broke and not building anything is uneventful.

Sir Eric,

I think that once 2 Civs reach the industrial age each barbarian camp will spawn a set of 8 or 22(?) horsemen depending on setting. So in this game if there are say 15 barbarian camps on the barbarian peninsula you can expect around 300 or so barbs coming your way.

The above comment is only what I think will happen.... I'm nearly always wrong.

I didn't see one barbarian camp in the main part of the map during GOTM tho', so I will be uncorking the bottle just for the heck of it.

Originally posted by mad-bax

I think that once 2 Civs reach the industrial age each barbarian camp will spawn a set of 8 or 22(?) horsemen depending on setting. So in this game if there are say 15 barbarian camps on the barbarian peninsula you can expect around 300 or so barbs coming your way.

This could be the shortest game yet.:eek:

Top Bottom