Less known facts about armies

Well, when the Crusader unit was introduced with the C3C release in 2003...

You are totally kidding me. Questions:

• Is there a 'build fortress' button?
  • Is is a regular fortress like thrones workers build?
  • Can they also do the other thing that improves the fortress, the name of which escapes me?
  • How may turns do they take?
  • Can they build a fortress in enemy territory?

I love dotting fortresses all over the place so I'm hoping the answer to the fourth question is: one turn, because I shall make building the Knights Templar a top priority in my next game.

Wow.

You are totally kidding me. Questions:

• Is there a 'build fortress' button?
  • Is is a regular fortress like thrones workers build?
  • Can they also do the other thing that improves the fortress, the name of which escapes me?
  • How may turns do they take?
  • Can they build a fortress in enemy territory?

I love dotting fortresses all over the place so I'm hoping the answer to the fourth question is: one turn, because I shall make building the Knights Templar a top priority in my next game.

Wow.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, only the first stage in fortress building
4) as long as a worker needs for a fortress. Solution: Use a lot of Crusaders! ;)
5) That should be possible, but I have not tried it yet.

Also the KI will never use it to build fortresses as they are not marked as terraforming unit in the editor (which is impossible to do with the Firaxis editor, as they are unable to do all workers task. Solution: Use Quintillus Editor.).

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, only the first stage in fortress building
4) as long as a worker needs for a fortress. Solution: Use a lot of Crusaders! ;)
5) That should be possible, but I have not tried it yet.

Also the KI will never use it to build fortresses as they are not marked as terraforming unit in the editor (which is impossible to do with the Firaxis editor, as they are unable to do all workers task. Solution: Use Quintillus Editor.).

Thanks. Geez. Another new one on me! How many more?? :cry:

One more: crusaders benefit from the Industrious trait and Replaceable parts. So after replaceable parts, even a crusader will drop his 1500 years old crusading shovel and grab a "made in Taiwan" plastic one. :lol:

Yikes :confused:

Oh, I have a 'newbie' question. On the naming of cities. You know how it is, the empire grows to satisfyingly large proportions but as a consequence you lose track of which name signifies which city. So, do people rename their cities and what system(s) for doing so do they use?

As names are for taste only i usually let AI build enough cities which names i simply keep even if i change the position of a city by 1 tile or more. That way the names represent a great variety of cultures. :)

Yikes :confused:

Oh, I have a 'newbie' question. On the naming of cities. You know how it is, the empire grows to satisfyingly large proportions but as a consequence you lose track of which name signifies which city. So, do people rename their cities and what system(s) for doing so do they use?
What I've started doing in my Random-Emp games is to add a number before the city-name on founding. So my Cap becomes '001 [default Capital-city name]', the second-founded city becomes '002 [default second-city name]', etc. Although I could just use the numbers on their own, I like to see the names as well. I also then don't get all the 'New [City] [number]' name suggestions, the game just keeps cycling me through the default list of city-names for my Civ.

This way, all my founded cities end up at the top of the F1-list in order of founding, followed by any captured cities (ordered by date of founding). If I wanted my conquests sorted by date of capture/extortion instead, I could number them in order of acquisition, but prefixed with 'c' to keep their numbers separate from those of my founded cities; alternatively, founded/captured cities could be designated as farms (and sorted into a separate group in the F1-list) by prefixing the number with 'f'.

If you wanted to put even more effort into it, you could name each city after its location, landmarks, resources and/or purpose (like 'Oasenstadt' and 'Kolossusstadt' in our German SG last year). Though I have to say, that got a bit tiresome after a while, especially once we'd captured and ICS'd our whole continent and I was scrounging for yet another name for yet another tundra-farm...
Spoiler :
Plus, my limited knowledge of languages isn't up to doing that 'properly' for all the Civs in the game. For English, sure, German and French, maybe; but certainly not for Latin, Greek, Russian, Hindi, Kiswahili, Mandarin, ancient Babylonian, Aztec, et al., which offends my inner anal-retentive...

That said, one of the less harmful CivDOS-habits :lol: that I imported into Civ3 was 'corrupting' the names of captured cities, according to whichever Civ I was playing. For some reason known only to my subconscious, this was especially good fun when playing as the Chinese: London and Washington would become Rong-dong and Hwa-zhing-tung, etc. (Not that that really helps with the OP -- and probably not very PC either, but I'm not playing for anyone's amusement but my own...) ;)

I have exactly the same problem, and it's one of the many reasons I much prefer smaller empires with peaceful victory conditions.

The main problem is the civil unrest issue. Edit: Same with Pollution.

At the beginning of your turn the game gives you pop-ups of all your cities that are in civil unrest, but refuses to zoom-to-city like with other info-dumps at the beginning of the turn. So you have to memorize the list of names for when your turn starts proper and then scroll over your entire empire to find the visual clue of smoke over a city.

You could micromanage each city before your turn is over to ensure there is no unrest, but even this can get disrupted in a big empire war game as your troops die to something or other.

I'm not sure if this is something civassist helps with as I've never used that.

So I began experimenting with city names that helped to ease this problem of memory + location finding unrested cities in a large empire.

I'm sad to say, nothing seemed to work. I tried numbered systems, calling each town 1, 2, 3, 4 etc etc, I tried locational/numerical, calling each town Egypt 1, Egypt 2, Egypt 3 etc etc and a whole host of other ideas, but none of it really had any beneficial impact, I still found myself scrolling over my entire empire at the beginning and end of each turn, and, obviously, raging when I occasionally forgot to do this because I'm, alas, human. :lol:

I have exactly the same problem, and it's one of the many reasons I much prefer smaller empires with peaceful victory conditions.

The main problem is the civil unrest issue. Edit: Same with Pollution.
*snip*
I'm not sure if this is something civassist helps with as I've never used that.
Yes it does.

And not only can it be set to tell you which cities are currently rioting, it can also warn you one turn before, which cities will riot during the next IBT (due to e.g. pop-growth without sufficient Luxes/LUX%, or war-weariness), so you can pre-emptively fix it. The (soon-to-be-)rioting city-names are listed in the 'Alerts' pop-up, and by clicking on the name, your map will be re-centred over that city.

CAVEAT: the 'imminent-riot' warning is based on the gamestate at the auto-save, which (as far as I can tell) is generated just before the game hands you back control of your units. So if during the active phase of your turn, you then e.g. lower the LUX%, you won't get the warning.

The Alerts pop-up can also tell you if there are polluted tiles on your territory. It just numbers them, but again, clicking on the number will take you to the blotch.

And CAII can do all sorts of other useful MM-type stuff as well, like telling you where a build is going to waste shields, or which cities are wasting food (i.e. Pop-limit reached, but no 'Duct or Hospital), or starving, or when you're going to overrun your beaker-target, or or or...

(CivAssistII! Gettit Today, Special Offer, Half-price! ;) )

But if you flag both, the AI will use the Crusader for either terraforming, or for attacking. Not both, if I understand correctly.

But if you flag both, the AI will use the Crusader for either terraforming, or for attacking. Not both, if I understand correctly.
It seems that is not the case.

In my current game I observed the indian War Elephants (marked as offensive and terraforming - limited building options) building railroads next to Bombay.

After Ghandi declared war by accident on me (stupid River Steamboat tried to move through my anchored Battlefleet for whatever reason :confused: ) all War Elephants aborted their construction work and joined the invasion of Skandinavia.

India is now a small island country. :D

That said, one of the less harmful CivDOS-habits :lol: that I imported into Civ3 was 'corrupting' the names of captured cities, according to whichever Civ I was playing. For some reason known only to my subconscious, this was especially good fun when playing as the Chinese: London and Washington would become Rong-dong and Hwa-zhing-tung, etc. (Not that that really helps with the OP -- and probably not very PC either, but I'm not playing for anyone's amusement but my own...) ;)[/SPOILER]

You shall be dragged to The Hague in chains for re-education--oops, I mean "sensitivity training.";)

Are you sure its armies and not great leaders that you want to say.

In Play the World, both can finish Wonders and improvements. In the Test of Time scenario, it is possible for some civilizations to build Leaders from the start of the game, which can finish Wonders, city improvements, and units. I have a thread about it in the Creation and Customization forum.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=548065

In Play the World, both can finish Wonders and improvements. In the Test of Time scenario, it is possible for some civilizations to build Leaders from the start of the game, which can finish Wonders, city improvements, and units. I have a thread about it in the Creation and Customization forum.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=548065

Well then maybe that's true for that particular scenario.

Well then maybe that's true for that particular scenario.

It is definitely true for that scenario. It appears that if you change "Leader" to "Leaders", and set the new unit to both "Build Army" and "Finish Improvements", you get around the hard-coded limitations on the "Leader" unit. I was going to experiment a bit with different units to see if this is the case. However, the "Scientific Leader" in Conquest, while it cannot build an Army, can complete all of the City Improvements, not just Wonders.

Top Bottom