Trolled by Disease

Is having a floodplain within the BFC (or even only touching the BFC) enough to trigger disease? So far I thought that one of the town's citizens actually needs to work the floodplain tile, in order to have any risk of floodplain disease?!

Working a disease tile will do it, yes, but I believe that having an adjacent one will do it too. I also believe that settling on a jungle removes the jungle, but, alas, settling on a floodplain obviously does not remove the flood plain, and that may continue to cause disease hits as well.

Totally unfair! I demand justice for the human player!! Justice!!! :(
And a hardboiled egg, maybe...?

(THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST... ME)

Exactly! :goodjob:
Like the fact that the AI can see the entire map (including the location of all your units) right from the start. They were probably too lazy to implement a "separate map" for every AI, so they just use the "total map" for each AI and only have a restricted map for the human player.

It's interesting that you say this. Firstly, if it was total exposure, why do they prize my World Map so much when there's a lot unexplored but offer nothing when it's complete? How is that programmed?

Secondly, I regularly see AIs wandering around places for no apparent reason other than to explore - is this just for effect? In my last game I had a Rights of Passage with someone and they sent a Horseman into my lands just to look around, what were they looking for? Was that just for effect?

There's more to it than meets the eye, the Resource founding is the only indication we have that they have all-seeing-eye is it not...?

The AI has access to map data for strategic reasons, i.e., as suggested, to settle near as yet undiscovered resources, like coal.

The AI also, though, for game-play purposes, knows which parts of the map it has not yet explored, and has been given orders by the powers that be to explore.

Also, while the AI knows where resources are, it DOES NOT know how to get there unless that part of the map has been explored. This is hard to tell on most maps, but play on Marla's world map enough and it is very identifiable.

The AI also knows where your units are. AI will go to great lengths and distances to hunt down one of your pirate ships*, or attack your city with the fewest defenders, bypassing heavily fortified cities to do so. I suspect there is an equation that sets the value of each city for conquest, - strength of defense, (with a small random variable if the programmer was halfway decent), and then sends the troops in.

For example: City Size 12 = Value of 12, + Rubber in fat cross (+10) = +22, - 8 (2 musketeer defenders) = conquest value of 16.

On the other hand, I have seen Germany, for example, bash its head on a stack of mine fortified on a hill, behind/inside a fort. My stack was in my territory but inside Germany's fat cross, so that may be a factor as well (threat value). Sharing a fat cross with the AI drives them insane. If I were a programmer, I would also set an overall random factor of, like, 4%, to set a completely random target for a war's effort.

*although in my current German game they are leaving my stacks of pirate ships alone... probably out of fear.

There's more to it than meets the eye, the Resource founding is the only indication we have that they have all-seeing-eye is it not...?

As agonistes already mentioned, we have strong indication that they have exact information about our unit locations. In fact, this can even be exploited to the human's advantage: there are many games on record here, where the human player has used this to make the AI's units go around in circles in war time, until his own defenses were ready. For example, if sharing a long front line with the AI, just leave a town on the left-most wing unprotected. All the AI's units will march towards that town. (The AI simply cannot resist this easy prey...) Then, when the AI stack has almost reached that town, move a few strong defenders into it and remove the defenders of a town on the right-most wing... Rinse and repeat...
Of course if the AI has fast moving units like Cavalry, the implementation of this tactic is a bit more difficult, you need a strongly defended first line of defense and then use towns in the second line as "decoy"...

As agonistes already mentioned, we have strong indication that they have exact information about our unit locations. In fact, this can even be exploited to the human's advantage: there are many games on record here, where the human player has used this to make the AI's units go around in circles in war time, until his own defenses were ready. For example, if sharing a long front line with the AI, just leave a town on the left-most wing unprotected. All the AI's units will march towards that town. (The AI simply cannot resist this easy prey...) Then, when the AI stack has almost reached that town, move a few strong defenders into it and remove the defenders of a town on the right-most wing... Rinse and repeat...
Of course if the AI has fast moving units like Cavalry, the implementation of this tactic is a bit more difficult, you need a strongly defended first line of defense and then use towns in the second line as "decoy"...

Well, if that's the case, why can't they time their Settlers to reach somewhere 1 turn before you do?

Top Bottom