The Deity Challenge Line-up #16 - China

T176 Domination Victory

Faster than my Mongol win!

Went Liberty, Honor (did not finish Honor, I had a pretty weak culture output, only did the left side, and the first from the right side).

Spoiler :
I started the game with the idea of a Domination Victory using the UU. I did some mistakes early. I did not build sufficient units and had some trouble with barbs. I did not settle in the best positions, having one city (Nanking) boxed between 3 CS was a mistake, since I was at war with at least one of them since I began warring till the end of the game. But my biggest mistake was building the Mausoleum of Halikarnassos. Having some time until I got the Collective Rule, and having beelined Masonry because of all the quarries around, I decided to build a wonder. Pyramids would have been a much better choice, considering the amount of time I wasted while waiting to build roads especially around the Swedish capital (which I attacked from the north, as it was controlled by persia then ant they already started colonizing land between Swedes and the Dutch ) and the Iroquois Capital (also attacked from the north, with lots of jungle).

I got a religion because of Stone Circles: Tithe, Pagodas, and Asceticism (I actually needed it). I only enhanced when I build Pagodas in all 4 cities. As an enhancer I chose something unique for me: Just War. I used the 3rd prophet to get my religion in the Iroquois Capital for the 20% bonus, which saved me at leas turn I believe.

After the 4 cities, I started building Archers, then CBs. Beelined Machinery, and when I was getting close I started my war campaign. I used my finisher for a GE, the idea was to get Petra in Guanghzou, but that was gone, so I got Machu Pichcu to at least get some reduction in the road costs.

The first to attack were the Songhai. I captured one city with CBs but then was delayed because of their UU. I waited until I got to Machinery, and it was easy from then especially since I brought some reinforcements now that I had a road built. I got their capital, then split my army.

One part attacked the Dutch, the other continued with the attack on Songhai. In the mean time my 3rd army was attacking south of my territory, capturing Orleans which was also a Songhai puppet, and was blocking me from getting Paris. The Songhai did not give it to me in a peace deal even when their current capital was at 0HP. So I waited to get Orleans before I made peace with Songhai for all their GPT and lump gold. The dutch fell pretty easy. I used a citadel for Amsterdam.

By "army" I mean 4-7 ranged units accompanies by 1-2 melee units. I used Spearmen against Songhai, but Swordsmen for the rest of them. Because I mainly beelined the lower part of the Tech Tree, I got Pikemen quite late so Swordsmen were the main option. I bought Iron in the beginning since I did not have any.

Then I unified my first and 2nd army and marched south for Sweden (technically Persia since they wiped out Sweden). My 3rd army (which got some fresh reinforcements) was used to get Paris, and in the mean time I was building units to march towards India. I already citadel bombed them once since they had the GW, and had another GG to plant a second citadel once I DoWed them. I waited to capture Paris and get my army back to start attacking India, but I guess I could have started sooner, since India did not put up a fight.

Meantime on the Western front, I razed one Persian City, got the Swedish capital, freed the Swedes, and was already having a lot of ranged Cho-Ko-Nu's so the Persian Capital was a piece of cake. The only downside was getting my army to Stockholm and building roads to capture the Swedish cities, since they were in relatively rough terrain. I had to be careful as reinforcements in that area weren't really an option.

On the eastern front, India fell easily, and after I took 2 cities they offered me 2 more in a peace deal, one was near the Iroquois border. I took the deal and started building roads towards the Iroquois. In the mean time having researched Chemistry I built 3 cannons.

Once I declared war on the Iroquois, something strange happened: Songhai declared war and they actually had enough military to recapture Gao, but they did not have time since I captured the Iroquois capital 2 turns after the Songhai DOWed me. I think Gao would have lasted one more turn, but if it hadn't, my reinforcements were far (2 turns distance) and this would have delayed me at least 4 turns, so maybe Just War wasn't useless.

Attachments

• 2015-07-26_00005.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 237
  • 2015-07-26_00006.jpg
    2015-07-26_00006.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 2015-07-26_00002.jpg
    2015-07-26_00002.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 2015-07-26_00003.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 241
  • 2015-07-26_00004.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 237
Somehow my image uploads got messed up. I posted right before the forum was shut down the second time, so this may be the cause.
Anyway, here are more screenshots if someone is interested.

Also off topic, is there any way to upload more than 3 images on a single post?

Attachments

• 2015-07-26_00005.jpg
    2015-07-26_00005.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 2015-07-26_00004.jpg
    2015-07-26_00004.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 2015-07-26_00003.jpg
    2015-07-26_00003.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 135
T230 Domination. Had knowledge of this map as I previously watched parts of Acken's LP to learn domination. Clearly still have much to learn as I needed artillery to end it.

Writeup lacks details since I finished it last month but failed to make enough savegames to make up for the poor memory.
Spoiler :

Couldnt ask for a more glorius start: Mountain, 2x stone, 2x marble, and cocoa. Found 2 religious CS and took faith from quarries; with stoneworks those 4 tiles powered Beijing like crazy.

Went for 4 City Lib and Askia was kind enough to donate many workers to the cause; my scouting suffered as 1 of them was busy pillaging caravans. I think I got 3 out of him as i never made peace with him.

Built the Oracle to finish liberty; picked a GS since production was awesome in Beijing for the NC.

Decided to go for a CKN push and machinary was fnished around T100. Goa fell at T 113, and pushed on to Amsterdam. couldnt figure out how to get around the hills so 3 CKNs were lost to take the city in T122. Double fire cross bows vapourise armies but are very fragile...

Wanted to go for Delhi next but Gandhi had the Great Wall so i gave up as i couldnt see another easy next target. Decided to tech to Education and then to artillery.

50 turns of infra building (including Machu Pichu) and Oxford-Dynamite was obtained on T170. In the meantime Sweden founded the WC and Gandhi built the FP so no proposals were done. Around T150 France killed the Songhai so i declared on France and resurrected the Songhai to reduce some of the warmonger hate.

Upgraded cannons and newly built military units move east towards Delhi but Gandhi decided suicide was perfered and declared war on me at T180. His army was minced and Artillery-Calvary take Delhi at T194. Hiawatha's capital is the next to go since he was just to the south.

Another army was built and Paris, Persepolis, and finally Stockholm were taken by Artillery/Cav with late bomber support. Only persia ever got an airforce but it was too little too late.

Wonders: Oracle, Machu Pichu. Prora was 1 turn away...

Social Policies: Full Lib, Trad (aristoracy), Comm (wagon trains), Rat (secularism), cant remember how many in Autocracy but it didnt matter in the slightest.

Religion: Quarry Faith, Pagodas, Tithe, RC, RT. Life was made easier by William the Heretic who reformed with Jesuit Education. He also built Borobudur, Hagia Sophia, Stonehenge, and 3 captured GP provided all the faith i ever needed.

WC: nothing of importance. WF was proposed towards the end but never finished.

Pictures: Settler recruited with help of Barbarian archer, Stockholm falls T230, Chinese homeland

Attachments

• 2015-07-23_00001.jpg
    2015-07-23_00001.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 2015-07-25_00002.jpg
    2015-07-25_00002.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 2015-07-25_00003.jpg
    2015-07-25_00003.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 170
Could someone post the initial save for this map? It seems that it is missing from the OP.

Heh. It would seem that consentient has reached the limit of his attachments, so they clear themselves out

Here's the file

Attachments

• DCL #16 - China.Civ5Save
    513.9 KB · Views: 145
Thanks, then I'll just download a bunch at a time and play them when I have time to get to them.

T212 Dom V
Classic 3 city NC honor-commerce, didn't get to ideology before final civ was conquered. Waited until CKN to attack first civ, and conquered 6 civs with it before getting artillery to finish the last one.

Spoiler :

Stole workers off Songhai, and Jerusalem which was used for xp farming until it was conquered since it was on the way to Songhai. Songhai conquered 2 dutch cities including capital, so they were obviously first target. Started attacking once Machinery completed around T110.

Gao T125
Amsterdam T131

Next was double DoW from India and Sweden, both were weak as Sweden already lost cities to Persia. Also DoW Persia as they were in the way but only after bribing them to attack every neighbor. Main army on Persia + Sweden, then France, 2nd eastern army on India.

Stockholm T153
Delhi T158
Persepolis T166
Paris T191

Eastern army took a break until industrial era since Iroquois land too hard to take with CKN alone. French land was flat and wide open, so easy even with CKN past 160.

Onondaga T212

Both armies pushed toward Iroquois land with range Gatling/Artillery, with frigate support. Eastern army reached capital first since terrain was much easier.

Doubt anyone is interested in this topic anymore but I give it a go :)

T137 Dom V

Went Cb Rush on India (around t70) and Iroquois (around t90).
Then, after beelining machinery|(t 95 with GS from liberty finisher) and constructing second army, marched on Askia, France, Netherlands, Persia and Sweden.
Ive played this map like 2-3 times so I've had pretty extensive map knowledge. Really fun one :)

Top Bottom