The Deity Challenge Line-up #18 - Babylon OCC

Nickytootricky, to upload saves, you simply attach the civ5save file (from your saved games folder). To upload screenshots, just upload the bmp without zipping it.

Any more problems, just send me a PM. :)

SV T279

Spoiler :
Interesting game, I have never played OCC before. A few highlights from the game:
Germans were really annoying, settled a city very close and then covet my lands. I had to bribe others to DoW them since they denounced me a few times and they were ready to attack me.
The 1st WLTKD resource was spices which I got only around T150 or so.
The first vote for +33% artist generation and -33% scientist generation was sadly passed.
I got 2nd place in WF and IG which was fine by me.
Ideological pressure was not a problem despite Freedom being chosen only by me.
After T200 the world became a mess, plenty of wars and denouncements left and right from AIs towards each other. I stayed friends only with Inca.
I also build a few nukes otherwise Americans and Germans would DoW me for sure. Before that only bribes stopped them. But for the whole game it was impossible to bribe them to DoW each other which would help since we are on the same continent.
I bought all space parts and in the end I took a loan from Inca but did not really need it. They had like 45K in their bank.
I had a few waves of RA with Inca and America, and once with Assyria.
No AI even started building space parts, wars were helpful to slow them down.

Wonders:
From early wonders I got only Oracle and HS. From renaissance Pisa, Sistine and PT. And all the usual ones from later eras.

Policies: Full Trad, Rationalism, Aesthetics opener, A few in patronage and commerce.
Ideology: Freedom
Religion: Pantheon +1 faith from salt; +1 gold for every 4 followers, 15% growth; wonders +2 faith and messiah.

Thanks for the map.

Attachments

• occ_baby_sun.jpg
    occ_baby_sun.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 555
@consentient

Cheers ;) I think the issue was I've got a new big screen and that print screen just happened to be more than the (2mb?) limit... the other game I played yesterday was fine. Thanks!

[obsolete]

So many culture wins already :lol: I hope consentient is satisfied...

I'm going to play the Austria game first (as now I know CV is probably easier than even in normal games in this start)

consentient: the key to any win is to grow... (and I feel a lot of the cities are quite small for OCC... you have all the gold you could wish for, so why not WLTKD, why not work all those farms... why not buy those two stupid floodplains tiles near the CS for more farms, etc. etc. once hydroplants come online you can hard-build any wonder you want)

Me satisfied? Very. YOU'RE the one who said it was probably impossible. :p

I may even POSSIBLY be able to add my name to the list. Am replaying the map and it COULD end in a victory, not sure yet.

[EDIT: T318 CV - I am happy it's possible, and happier still that this game is finished, but I still don't understand why I suck so much at peaceful play :(]

Spoiler :

If replays count, I don't really know. Don't really care that much about record times.

A completely different game now. Japan killed France and Zulu, and Germany and America went for culture rather than science. I went whoring all the "good" wonders this time, got

Temple of Artemis
Hanging Gardens
Oracle
Pisa
Porcelain Tower
Big Ben
Neusch
Statue of Liberty
Eiffel
Redentor
Broadway

Most of which I built out of spite because I missed Alhambra by 1 turn. It turned out Germany was pissed because they wanted all that so he invaded me at one point, his Riflemen were kind of embarrassed by my Infantry. Ashur DoWs as well but his units never really take off to my continent so that was a dud. In the end I just took many many gold from Incas and paid them all to vote for me. Also I obviously bribed every CS on the map :)

I had much more GSs now and I probably would have launched within 300, but I figured, let me try this instead.

Oh and, I forgot to mention one thing. Germany proposed the CS embargo. Why would they deliberately gimp themselves??

Attachments

• diplo.jpg
    diplo.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 74
Spoiler :

Great starting location, took the observatory/hill/river location. 3 salt, the magical luxury resource. :p

Planted the first GS on horses by accident, because I got the GS before Animal Husbandry. :lol: Did not appear that Great Library was possible on my playthough, went around Turn 30.

Allied 2-3 Maritime CS most of the game, one culture CS, 2 faith CS mid-game onward.

2 Worker Steals from Germany
6 Academies
2 Faith Great Scientists

Heavy focus on Research agreements (had 5 going at one point, seemed like that was the limit in my game, due to wars between AI).

Tricky diplomacy with Bismarck the whole game, paid him to attack Washington first, then Assyria, then denounced Assyria after RA went through. Also denounced France when he was dogpiled. America also went Freedom, but had to deny Friendship requests late-game to avoid hate for him transferring to me.

Religion (never enhanced):
Fertility Rites
Tithe
Swords to Plowshares

Wonders:
Big Ben
Forbidden Palace (diplo victory was a backup plan)
Hanging Gardens
Temple of Artemis
Leaning Tower (Picked GS)
Oracle
Porcelain Tower
Statue of Liberty
Taj Mahal
Hubble
Oracle

Did NOT get Chichen Itza. Too bad, it would have turbo-boosted the game :sad:

I unlocked the OCC achievement, so obviously no experience playing this game type at all. No way I was going to try culture on my first OCC playthrough though. :crazyeye:

Part of my last GS bulb was wasted, so I am certain at least a sub-250 science victory is possible on this map for someone with more OCC experience. No idea what the correct number of academies is, but 6 seemed to work pretty well.

Played the game pertty quickly, compared to most games. Probably about 1% of the clicks of my China DCL playthrough. :D

Purchased 4 spaceship parts, built 2.

Diplomatic Victory - Turn 312
Spoiler :

I was initially going for a SV, but it was going too slowly and I had control over most of the City States that I decided to end it via DV.
This was my first Diety game - I normally play Emperor. Decided to register just to post my victory (didn't have many other screenshots as didn't think I would win)

Hey Jcakes, welcome to the DCL. There's a problem with the image, though. Can you attach it to your post?

Well, i had guessed DCL 18 would be Babylon but didn't consider OCC. Never played OCC Deity before so it might be interesting. Will have to try it out.
Also this one came early? I thought it would come at the end of this week.

The schedule changed, Bob. It's every 10 days now. :)

Yeah that works fine. Congratulations on your first Deity win! I hope you'll stay and play the other games in the series :)

Yeah, I got hooked definitely, up to 3 now with Mongol and Swedish next in line.

Also, it's mad how everyone's game on the same map and settings ends up differently!

Yeah, I got hooked definitely, up to 3 now with Mongol and Swedish next in line.

Also, it's mad how everyone's game on the same map and settings ends up differently!

Seeing as how I posted the slowest SV recorded thus far, it's pretty telling. I had the smallest capital I've seen. Population might be even more important than I've been giving it credit for……..time to re-think my strategy on CS alliances.

Shark_Diver - Next science game, I am going to go after Maritime CS more agressively. This is the first tme I have ever had some many Maritime alliance.

> Seeing as how I posted the slowest SV recorded thus far, it's pretty telling.

I would not have been able to survive as long as you did in my playthrough, so I think surviving that long is an OCC accomplishment all by itself. Maybe randomness was different for you, but keeping my most agressive neighbor busy was a full time job. I kept hoping everyone would turn on him after I bribed him into backstabs, but it never happened.

This map is close to ridiculously OP. I just got NC at 53T,already friend with all known civs and probably will get all wonders I want. Right now I'm wonder if choose CV or DomV. Is someone going DomV to be able to compare strategies?

Perhaps it is time to go back to Civ 4 or wait for the next Civ game but I think Civ in general is not going to get harder but only easier. I think last I seen they sold 9 million copies of this easier game civ 5 compared to the harder game civ 4 beyond the swords and I think the number on that title was 6 million so I'm guessing they are going to cater to the masses for an easier Civ type of game.

Yes as shown even by popularity of this challenge you're right, people want easy game even on highest difficulty so it's hard to blame Firaxis that they make games which becoming easier and easier.

For the umpteenth time, IronFighterXXX, if you have a difficult challenge you want to share with the DCL community, you know where to send it. ;)

Top Bottom