The Deity Challenge Line-up #18 - Babylon OCC

My first time DCL (just found out about this recently). Already third time replaying the game, first I lost to cultural victory and second I didn't catch up technologically quite well.

But read some tips here and tried it third time, I'm already winning, have a huge tech lead, but
Spoiler :
America
DoW me like 20 turns before winning :D. Had to go to sleep yesterday, so didn't finish the game. However, I guess my SV will be really late.

I'm just glad I could even manage to get the lead .. I'm not that good player so far.

Hi klayman, welcome to the DCL. I applaud your persistence. I know it will pay off eventually.

I am happy that there are lots of new players trying our maps :)

Well, I managed to win finally .. SV 327, not that great, but better than I expected. My first OCC diety win.

Was my third game (as I mentioned), lost both ones before. I'm glad that I won at least :D

Had religion spread to the whole double continent and managed to build these wonders:

Temple of Artemis
Hanging Gardens
Oracle
Hagia Sophia
Sistine Chapel
Porcelain Tower
Taj Mahal
Brandenburg Gate
Eiffel Tower
Cristo Redentor
Kremlin
Neuschwanstein
Hubble Space Telescope
Great Firewall

Will try another DCL for sure

Attachments

• dcl18-babylon.jpg
    dcl18-babylon.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 142
Will try another DCL for sure

Nice one, klayman! Well done :)

I am happy to hear you will return, and don't forget to send in your maps if you find an interesting one WITH MAP PACKS DISABLED :)

oh, and i noticed only 2 posts. welcome to CFC, klayman!

theres a lot to browse here, lots to learn, LP and stories sections, game competitions, mods, multiplayer, off-topic areas, BE/IV/III/II areas etc.

Thank you guys
Ye I know, I've been stalking the forums for quite a while, just didn't have a reason to post anything.

I've been playing only singleplayer for a long time, but recently tried multiplayer a bit and started reading tips and facts about the game to improve my play style a bit.

I've played to 143T, already conquered Berlin, Washington an Assur with XBs.

Only problem is with lack of iron (have only two) since two others capitals are coastal more iron for frigates could be useful.

Anyway with Babylon UA will soon get artyleries and then gg :)

However I am not sure if I will finish it as seems that nobody chose Domv so it really will be hard to say if I could do sth better or compare strategies.

Thats why I was always for at least suggested victory condition and thats why i didn't play DCL before.

Attachments

• T148.jpg
    T148.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 174
Hello civfanatics. I'm a long-time reader of these forums (tons of great info/ideas here), but this is my first post. Thought I would give some of the DCL/ICL maps a try, to keep the game interesting.

Won a DiploV turn 245. Should have been 225, but I was late to the info era by 1 turn :mad: and had to wait an extra 20 turns for the next WC proposal to finish. Was my mistake, since I stole chemistry instead of archaeology when I was teching to plastics, so lesson learned there.

Spoiler :
Settled in place on the coast. Wanted to use cargos for gold and allying city states. Tried something different with religion and took World Church, since culture is a bottleneck for OCC. It worked quite well. I converted the entire Assyrian continent, and despite Washington and Bismark both founding a religion, kept mine in many of the city states on my continent for most of the game. Borburdor helped a lot.

Didn't fight a war the whole game, bribed Bismark to backstab washington in the ancient era. Was friends with most everyone, and signed a ton of RA.

Policies: full trad, rat, patronage (thru scholasticism), freedom, few extras near the end

Wonders: HG, Oracle, Hagia, Borbur, Pisa, FP, PT, Broadway, Eiffel, SoL, Cristo, Sydney OH

Religion: WC, 15% growth, divine inspiration, rel texts

After reading through the thread, I realize the mountain for the observatory (where everyone else settled) was the better spot. I might replay the map and settle the mountain.

Fun game, overall. Thanks for the map!

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0023 copy.jpg
    Civ5Screen0023 copy.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 152
IronfighterXXX, I think that I made it clear on the Finisher's spreadsheet that the only VC not yet completed on this map was DomV and that it would be quite an achievement if someone completed it.

Please remember though, that in general the DCL is a casual series, and you and I have had plenty of back and forth discussion about how it isn't really intended to be uber-challenging (in the sense that only a handful of players will compete to see who can post the best result). However, the best players who play on the DCL still post impressive results, test their selves, and help others learn, all at the same time.

I've also said that if YOU give ME a map that YOU think it is hard, then I'll be glad to consider it for the DCL.

:)

First attempt not going so well. Only t60 but I failed to get all of the wonders I was aiming at (ToA, Oracle, HG). Just saw that kb27787 got ToA at t42 and HG at t72, so at least it seems I'm not being slow, just unlucky.

Settled west on the mountain, teched mining, writing, archery (for ToA), philosophy, bottom tree up till currency. Got the stone circles pantheon, allied one cs and about to finish a quest for another.

Hello civfanatics. I'm a long-time reader of these forums (tons of great info/ideas here), but this is my first post. Thought I would give some of the DCL/ICL maps a try, to keep the game interesting.

Won a DiploV turn 245. Should have been 225, but I was late to the info era by 1 turn :mad: and had to wait an extra 20 turns for the next WC proposal to finish. Was my mistake, since I stole chemistry instead of archaeology when I was teching to plastics, so lesson learned there.

Welcome to CFC! It's always nice to see some lurkers brave the forums. Well done on the DV. Only missing a t225 vic by 1 turn shows me your are no slouch at this game. Continue sharing these results. CFC is stronger with more players like you.

Turn 293 SV

I'm a first time poster, but I've tried some of the other deity challenges and read the forums and learned a lot from that. I couldn't believe how strong this one city start was, as I have never even tried OCC before.

Spoiler :

I chose to start on the coast to not isolate myself so much by settling by the mountain and focused on growth most of the game. NC and Education was the fastest I've ever had, but I guess that's fairly normal in OCC - and especially with grassland quarries with faith from pantheon, which were amazing throughout the game. I'm only really comfortable on Deity with science victory and I guess I should've settled by the mountain because of that, but I felt the game would be more boring if I did. This did mean that my science lacked quite a bit in the lategame and affected my win time. I also delayed the last two policies in Rationalism, which was a fault on my end and delayed the win.

I was able to build a lot of wonders, though, several early ones as well, and managed to get a pretty good supply of culture and faith, as well as gold from the sea trade routes. I was friendly with most civs other than Assyria, and had several CS allies, including militaristic ones, so I only had to build a few planes and ships.

My religion was unusually strong and I had a good hold on my whole continent for most of the mid and early late-game - and I don't think I bought a single missionary (i built borobadur and hagia sophia)

I was only involved in one war, with Germany, who just had no chance to advance on my city and quickly gave up.

I misplayed the ending a little and forgot to buy the spaceship parts early enough, so when burning through GS' I missed a couple of turns in the end because of one spaceship part per turn.

I will definitely try OCC again, I find it quite interesting and since it doesn't take that long you're able to play around a bit to see how it works without wasting a lot of time micromanaging a lot of cities.

-prod

Attachments

• 2015-01-28_00001.jpg
    2015-01-28_00001.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 2015-01-29_00007.jpg
    2015-01-29_00007.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 91
Notice from the host

This map has set a new record for downloads/finishers ratio. This makes me very happy. :)

For the purposes of strengthening the DCL community, then, I would ask the newcomers to stick with us and try some of the other past and future challenges, even if they're not quite the same as this one, and some of them are somewhat harder.

I'd also urge any crestfallen veterans who think this Babylon map is too easy and therefore boring (not putting words in anyone's mouth) to respect that some maps will be less challenging than others, and that one thing I've really tried to do since taking over is offer some maps which offer a 'way into Deity'.

That said, I personally did not find this map easy, nor did I intend it to be one of the easier maps. Perhaps its because I suck at turtling, and my diplo is lacking, but keeping the whole world at war, without anyone attacking me, and being sandwiched in the middle, with an Ideology that no one wanted, was tough for me.

More than anything, I thought it would be interesting to have a OCC on the DCL. I probably won't have another one, but I might experiment in a different way in the future.

We've now had Raging Barbs and OCC. So expect some other tinkering in the future.

TLDR: Don't assume that this map was a piece of cake, and even if it is, not all DCL maps are.

I've played to 143T, already conquered Berlin, Washington an Assur with XBs.

Only problem is with lack of iron (have only two) since two others capitals are coastal more iron for frigates could be useful.

Anyway with Babylon UA will soon get artyleries and then gg :)

However I am not sure if I will finish it as seems that nobody chose Domv so it really will be hard to say if I could do sth better or compare strategies.

Thats why I was always for at least suggested victory condition and thats why i didn't play DCL before.

I understand that the game is over and it is just a matter of time for you to get your Domination Victory but can you give us an estimate of around what turn time you think it would of ended? Do you think before 200? Either way it looks like you will win just under or just over 200 turns from your picture. Suggested VCs isn't such a bad idea. budweiser had an OCC challenge with Poland awhile back but it wasn't set to OCC if I remember so you had to follow the suggested rules which was easy enough. I played this game safe but I can see going Domination would of been fun as well.

I also seen the comment in that thread I created about the player rolling an impossible start so that will be nice to see if that map can make it to the DCL. It would be nice to get a really ugly start and bad land on one of these future Challenges. The major problem is nobody wants to download/post results or play the game when they see all the land is tundra or snow or jungle ... etc.

I guess it is better to have more posting and players than difficult maps/starts since we need players to keep this going.

I am very reluctant to post a map that is actually really, really awful for several reasons:

1. It would only be enjoyable for a handful of people and I want to cater to a larger crowd, without actually crowd-pleasing. I really don't think any of the maps I posted were a piece of cake, and I will never intentionally post a map that is a cakewalk.

2. If a player is so good that they need really bad land to make it a challenge, why don't they try to get faster and faster on mediocre land? Or start their own series called 'Seriously Awful Dirt Deity Series' (SADDS' for short)? The DCL is not my property, it belongs to the community, and for the purposes of online discussions I am a democrat and if the DCL community decide they no longer like my maps and want to appoint another host, I will make way without objections. Until then, I will do everything I can to keep this as a series that caters to a community, not to a handful.

3. The maps in the DCL that have had the worst starts have had the fewest finishers and I want to work to bring the average number of finishers above 20 for every map. That's my target.

Spoiler :
embarrassing <100 T retire for me this time around. Things were going good to start so I thought I would steal a German worker which is no big deal. Head back to camp from the south..at this point Germany doesn't know my capital location. 6 turns after (but before they would offer peace) they managed to trot a settler 5 tiles NW from Babylon. By decent Bowman army held up fine on the hills until horse units swooped in with swords behind and ended the bows. I may reload the auto save on the turn I declared and see how things go.

Welcome to CFC! It's always nice to see some lurkers brave the forums. Well done on the DV. Only missing a t225 vic by 1 turn shows me your are no slouch at this game. Continue sharing these results. CFC is stronger with more players like you.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I would have posted something before now, but whenever I've had a question, it's already been answered here. Great site.

I'll continue to try out the challenge line-ups. Lots of interesting maps to play.

I understand that the game is over and it is just a matter of time for you to get your Domination Victory but can you give us an estimate of around what turn time you think it would of ended? Do you think before 200?

Yes, actually I had nothing better to do so played few more turns ;)

I'm at 186 and only one cap remained. However Cusco is defensive monster surrounded by hills and mountains (and has Great Wall :(); and my main army is about 15 turns from it so unfortunately rather not be sub 200T victory.

Anyway game was quite interesting as I was attacked by Americans' minutemen without single troop in home. However I was allied with three surrounded America CSs and placed earlier citadel near border to get iron. Result with one knight, citadel and help CSs I defeated over a dozen Americans' minutemen :)

Attachments

• T186.jpg
    T186.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 157
Notice from the host

That said, I personally did not find this map easy, nor did I intend it to be one of the easier maps. Perhaps its because I suck at turtling, and my diplo is lacking, but keeping the whole world at war, without anyone attacking me, and being sandwiched in the middle, with an Ideology that no one wanted, was tough for me.

:lol:
You are obviously not familiar with the way of peace to say such a thing...

A true peacemonger keeps the world as peaceful as possible and would prefer the other AIs be friends (I mediate on behalf of friends to make peace before any cities get captured, preventing warmonger penalty, from time to time, if it's cheap of course). It's better and easier to turtle that way. (remember mutual friends is -15 while DoF with enemy is +15; a denouncement is +20)

So needless to say, obviously I don't do war bribes (some players do that a lot in their LPs but I don't really like it) unless absolutely necessary, as in, an army is coming for me and I can't block. The diplomatic terrain will be messy enough as it is without you adding fuel to the fire.

Top Bottom