DCL evolution and proposition

Saw it. I'll try to remember as I have already a planned map for the next one.
Great! Since I have an extra 10 days then, rather than just suggesting configuration settings, I will trying rolling a map and playing it out. I will send you one that unfolds in an interesting way that I am hoping for (and I will follow the instructions for disabling the less universal DLC). I don't have the map editor, and I am not sure they have that for the Mac. I would like to ensure the poles are not ice-locked (as consentient asks).

I would like to ensure the poles are not ice-locked (as consentient asks).

I highly welcome this as well if anyone is willing to do it and there is or at least used to be an addon for clearing icebergs that were hugging the main landmasses. It only needed to be loaded while rolling a map but didn't affect the saves or anything else beyond that so it was not needed to play etc.
Unfortunately I don't have a clue what it was called or whether it still works. I originally loaded it from Steam so the author didn't try to hide it very well.

Less Ice On Maps is a Mod that sadly DOES need to be installed in order to play.

But beetle, you can just load the map in IGE and quickly remove the offending ice without looking at the land at all, so no spoilers.

I'd really like to know precisely what the mood of the community is, so I'd appreciate it if you could take the time to complete this questionnaire/poll, so it could be borne in mind by anyone looking to take over as host of a Deity challenge series.

I suggest you give as much detail as you can when expanding on your choices.

I can't make an actual poll for this post in the traditional way, but feel free to choose one option from each group, either by quoting it or typing your answers - e.g. "A2, B2, C4"

- - -

Yay or nay?

A1: I don't want a Deity challenge series. The DCL #43 will be the last I play (if I even play that one).
A2: I might want a Deity challenge series, but only under certain conditions (please specify)
A3: I want the Deity challenge series to continue very much.

[options hereafter assume you chose A2 or A3 in the first section]

How tough?

B1: I want to see considerably more difficult maps exclusively. I haven't had a decent challenge in ages.
B2: I want to see more difficult maps, but feel that we should have a mixture (please specify)
B3: I like the difficulty, on average, of the last 10 DCLs
B4: I want to see mostly easy Deity maps

How often?

C1: I want to see a new map every 10 days (current schedule)
C2: I want to see a new map every 14-20 days
C3: I want one new map a month
C4: I want to see less than one new map a month.

Mods?

D1: I don't want to play with Mods at all.
D2: I don't mind if some maps have mods. I can always choose not to play them if I don't like them, or they don't work.
D3: I would love the opportunity to explore modded Civ 5 BNW.
D4: I only want Modded games.

Game Dynamic and VCs

E1: I don't want any restrictions on what type of game I play
E2: I don't mind if some maps are heavily biased towards certain VCs, or if there is a recommended/preferred VCs but don't want any VCs actually disabled.
E3: It could be fun to play with some VCs disabled sometimes.
E4: I would prefer always to have a certain kind of challenge.

Play Style - re: Conquest

F1: I'm Gandhi. I only fight defensive wars.
F2: I'm Theo. I've been known to counter attack and take cities.
F3: I'm Casimir. I'm really flexible. I play according to whim during the game.
F4: I'm Bismarck. I like conquest, even when pursuing other VCs.
F5: I'm Attila. I didn't know there were other VCs.

Play Style - re: overall strategy

G1: I don't have a preferred VC and like to mix it up
G2: I like DiploV most of all.
G3: I like CV most of all.
G4: I like SV most of all.
G5: I like Domination.

- - -

A3 - can't stop now as we've only just begun
B2 - not a surprise but I'd prefer trickier maps on average but variable degree of difficulty is highly welcomed
C2 - twice a month seems more or less optimal
D2 - I don't mind few modded games as long as there's a point with it the Acken one being one of them
E3 - feel free to disable VC(s) if that has a potential of improving the gaming experience
F4 - domination never hurt anyone (important enough)
G5 - domination is my current way as others seem to be too boring. I don't wanna be in the naughty corner even by choice

I should also point out that someone better volunteer even for rotation once in a blue moon otherwise there's a danger of getting easy & peaceful Polynesia maps again.

I should also point out that someone better volunteer even for rotation once in a blue moon otherwise there's a danger of getting easy & peaceful Polynesia maps again.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. Could you rephrase?

- - -

My own opinion:

A2: I'm not really interested in those kind of games where most people turtle to a peaceful SV. Even if I don't do it myself, I want to see others really exploring the game and going outside of their comfort zone.

B2: Slightly more difficult would be good for me.

C1: What can I say? I play a lot of Civ 5 most of the time, despite a number of other things on my plate. Maybe it's because I play fast that I can get through a map in 2/3 days? Turtling should take far less time, but as I already said, I want to see that diminished.

D3: We've played 43 unmodded games together. From now on, I'd like 2/3 modded and 1 vanilla. I feel that's the right balance. Maybe 1 Acken Mod per month (which I wouldn't be able to play, but many would), assuming he's OK with that; 1 'Mod of the Month'; and 1 vanilla.

E4: I'd like something closer to the single-player scenarios, except that you begin in 4000BC and have to choose the best strategy to 'solve' the map, rather than just using tactics to move troops.

F4: I do like Wide Violent Culture most of all. Turtling to DiploV or spaceships seems unbelievably samey.

G5: I'm joining Grendeldef in the naughty corner, having dipped my dunce's cap in ketchup.

A3: Definitely would like the Deity challenge series to continue
B3: I like the recent games, which include some harder and some easier. I would rather have a more difficult map (medium-hard) in which I can use the UA/UU than an easy map where the uniques are irrelevant
C2 - twice a month
D2: If you mean modifications to the map, I'm okay with mods that are announced in the OP. If you mean additional downloads, I'd prefer not to have to do so with each game
E2: mainly as I wanted to practice my cultural tech/build order, thought it would be fun to do so on the Venice map, downloaded, started playing, then remembered cultural VC was disabled. Also, I like to replay and would like the option to pursue multiple VC. I'm fine with a recommended VC
F3: I'm flexible, though I often decide on T0 and prefer conquest
G5: I would like to rage

A3: While there are plenty of existing DCL games I'd like to play, I also hope that it continues.
B2: It would be nice to see some more challenging maps. Especially ones that turtling with 3-5 city tradition into CV, SV, or DV isn't so easy.
C2-C3: Once or twice a month is plenty for me. I can't keep up with the pace today and there are many existing games that I would like to go back and play anyways.
D2: Open to having some games with mods especially some of the more popular/challenging ones.
E2-E3: If it improves the game experience then by all means disable some VCs
F3: I don't get many domination victories but that is mostly a result that tradition turtling on most maps is the safest/easiest way to win.
G1: I'd like to have a greater variety of VC's. I tend to pick whatever I think is the safest/easiest for a given map which tends to be SV or DipV. It would be great to see more maps that these aren't as easy. Though just disabling these VCs isn't really a solution since then you can just tech up to XCOMs or whatever which ends up pretty much being a SV anyways.

A2: I did mention I wouldn't mind if the DCL is done and dusted, but that was (I think) before Acken's Mod. So, throw that into the mix and there might be something brewing. Consider me a neutral on this one

B3: The difficulty so far was for the most part alright with an occasional spike here and there

C2: With the increased activities around me, I've had considerably less time to play the new maps so twice a month is alright, especially if the RSG and ICL games carry on

D3: Marbozir has excellent mods in his games, and since the mods are free and easy to use, I don't see why not

E1: I expect the maps to be tweaked to that they play to our Civs' strengths

F2-3: I guess.. Conquest IS fun with Huns/Mongolia/China/England/Zulu

G1: Absolutely no preference

A2: I would like maps that are not modified at all. Whenever I see some obvious modifications to the map (like the Spain one) it feels like cheating, and whenever playing a dcl map and see some good terrain around or a close-by NW I always wonder if that was added in. I know some maps were modified to make the game harder, but it feels like most modifications are making the games easier.

B2: Definitely more difficult, but there should also be some medium difficulty maps to spice things up.

C3: One a month for me would be okay. At the current rate I am skipping a few maps.

D2: I personally don't like mods, but once in a while I could give them a chance.

E2: Disabling any VC cripples the AI so the only solution is to agree upon a VC and pursue that.

F1 and F5: I'm either turtling for a peaceful victory (and avoid any possible war), either going for full domination. I don't use conquest to assist any other VC.

G5: I think I am a little skewed towards DomV but I usually tend to play the uniques of the civ.

A3
B2 - This game can only get so hard. Its been out so long a lot of the best players are bored with it, but that doesnt mean its feasible to make it any harder.
C1 - more games faster is better
D2 - no mods
E2
F3/F4
G1

Here is something that might make it a little harder. We have 3 idielogies and 4 victory types, so instead of always picking autocracy domination (if it even lasts so long), the goal could be order domination instead. Or even harder a cross ideology victory like freedom domination. Etc. That would take away the cookie cutter games we have sometimes now.

BTW what civs are left in the series?

A3 - Should revisit some of the civs on maps that were obviously modified (Venice/Spain etc) as a start, or the OCC ones as non OCC games, or very hard ones such as Denmark/Polynesia.
B2 - A bit higher difficulty with some easier maps thrown in for fun and variety.
C2 - Twice a month is enough, plenty of old maps if you wanted more.
D2 - Prefer no smart AI mods, but could try if enough wanted to.
E2 - Prefer using recommended VC to encourage against SV turtling, but don't disable VC as it cripples AI.
F1/F5- Usually decided by turn 1 and I never use offensive war for any other purpose than DomV.
G1 - Usually dictated by civs. DomV as default for civs such as Huns, Mongolia, others I'll choose at start of game. By renaissance I can choose between CV and SV, and Diplo usually only as a way out when other VC failed.

OK so we have plenty of information to go on. Acken will be rolling or cooking the maps for the last 2 challenges. We have around a month to decide what to do.

Anyone want to announce their intentions?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. Could you rephrase?

Sure & no worries. I was just assuming that you don't want this job as a full time host hence someone else should be willing to at least occasionally host otherwise there's a danger that I might have to host which will in all probability increase the average difficulty - it did in the past ;)
In case you're taking the lead again this potential problem will never arise - much like Venice which always fails.

I'm in favour of rotating hosts. I think the ICL has really benefitted from having Budweiser, Gustavus, Nige and ST providing maps. Mine was a dreadful failure, but hey :D

I'm willing to help host for fill in. I'm not keen on 'cooking' any maps to make them harder, other than choosing settings and or opponents. Just sayin'. :)

Top Bottom