My first deity win! Where can I improve?

Kepakiano

Chieftain
Hello there,

after 445h of play time I have finally beaten my first unmodded game (with EUI, but that doesn't count, I think, not for achievements at least) on deity, but I would still like some advice on how I can do better next time.
I have to admit, I crafted the game to be one of the easier deity games: I chose "Allow policy saving" and handpicked Brazil, Ethiopia, America, the Iroquois, Byzantium, Morocco and Russia as opponents - a rather friendly bunch.
More info on the setup: Fractal map, standard speed.

This is the starting location:
Spoiler :
2015-09-23_00004.jpg

And this is how the world looked at turn 226, the turn I took Rio de Janeiro (the city in the northeast of the Polish empire), but more on the later:
Spoiler :
2015-09-23_00002.jpg

I moved my settler on the hill where the warrior was standing initially to get an observatory later. Also better defence, because of the hill and the adjacent mountains.
As you can see, there is very little food, so at turn 312 Warsaw only had 22 pop. The whole peninsula wasn't very rich in food resources, but there were 7 sources of gold, 6 of which I could work.
Thanks to Jerusalem I was able to found a pantheon and a religion. The most important thing about this was 1 faith and 1 culture per gold resource (Interestingly, later in the game Russia went through my territory with GPs but didn't convert my cities, why?).
I also built mints in my cities asap to get the most out of the gold. Together with always maxing out cargo ships I had around 150gpt in the mid game.
I only founded two more cities, one of them next to a mountain (settled on top of a gold to get this), and went for a 3 city NC.
In the middle ages it turned out that brazil was the greatest threat in terms of winning the game - not in terms of military. Pedro was popping wonder after wonder so I decided to take Rio. But he also had the Great Wall and there was a choking point between us - I was not confident I could attack him with trebuchets or canons. So I beelined Dynamite (that was about the time I became the tech leader together with Catherine) and declared war on turn 200 with four artillery, some husars and I also chose the foreign legion tenent, so I had 6 FLs. Rio was mine by turn 226 (see above) and this was probably a turning point of the same magnitude as was Marbozir's capture of Delhi in his egypt game.
By the end of the game, Rio was producing around 400 tourism alone and a lot of culture which almost eliminated ideology pressure. Good Guy Pedro even built Broadway and Eiffel Tower for me after the war had started ;D
After taking Rio it was a rather dull game: I didn't want to start more wars, because I was afraid the whole world would turn against me. So I put all the techs in the queue I needed for the space ship and waited. On the way I popped two GS to get the Internet, because I liked the tourism boost :D
At around turn 310 Catherine and Ethopia declared war on me. Catherine had already finished five space ship parts, but I was confident I would beat her to it. She tried to capture Rio, but I won first (airlifted the last part out of Rio back to Warsaw :D).

Some thoughts and questions:
- I somehow forgot to build a navy. I only had one battleship at the end, so no chance of becoming the first WC host. I don't know how Marbozir always manages to build a decent navy :D
- I chose foreign legion as one of my first freedom tenents to fuel the war. Good idea?
- I bribed other civs like a ferengi to get them to fight each other. At around turn 270 almost everyone denounced me, although I had only declared this one war against Pedro and captured two of his cities. Was this war-related or did they denounce me, because I had Freedom as ideology and they had Order?
- When it was my turn to choose an ideology, two other civs had already chosen Order and Theodora had gone for Freedom. I chose freedom, because I got an early adopter tenent this way and being able to buy shaceship parts nicely fit my strong economy. Good choice?
- I hard built Sidney Opera House, Statue of Liberty and Hubble Space Telescope, wow!
- What do you guys do with spare policies? Sound like a first world problem, but since I was playing Poland I had fully explored the Tradition, Rationalism and Freedom trees. So I took exploration and built Big Ben, because.. why not? Which "normal" policies can still make a difference in the end game?
- How do you time your policies? Playing with policy saving feels cheesy, because this way I do not have to worry about when I have to be in the renaissance era to be able to start rationalism.
- I only built three or four academies and no other great person tile improvement. Around turn 220 I stopped building academies and popped the scientists instead (of course, maximizing their output). Was that good?

Attached you can find the turn 0 save, a save immediately before starting the war with Pedro and the final save.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Sadly, none of my friends plays Civ 5, so I cannot brag there and I have to do it here :D

Attachments

• Casimir III_0000 BC-4000_INIT.Civ5Save
    507.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Casimir III_0312 AD-1884_WIN.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • Casimir III_0200 AD-1400_war_bra.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
Congratulations.
-If you already plan on astronomy early for observatories why not making a trireme or two and upgrade them to caravels come Renaissance ?
-Depends when you took it. It's an okay policy if it was necessary.
-This is due to Ideologies differences yes. The AI doesn't have opinion mods for bribes.
-Freedom is good.
-You could invest in Commerce Mercantilism and/or Patronage Scholasticism
-You... time them. Count how many turns until renaissance and until next policy. Adjust culture with guilds as necessary.
-As a rule of thumb you can stop planting after schools and keep them around until the end game

Well done! You'll learn from experience though that Washington, Hiawatha and Cathy are not 'a friendly bunch!' ;)

well i can give you the advice that its not worth it to take cities from AI if you are going for peaceful vic. Simply sit back and tech with 4-7 city tradition.

well i can give you the advice that its not worth it to take cities from AI if you are going for peaceful vic. Simply sit back and tech with 4-7 city tradition.

I completely disagree.

Taking Key Cities/wonders from other civs is totally worth it.

It is one of the few ways to truely neutralize the AIs advantages.

The AI has a great deal of bonuses to produce big cities fast packed with wonders,Its is also HORRIBLE at war.

Since "WE" are better at war and worse at production it makes sense to let the AI build the cities for us.

I consider them sub-contractors

Also not sure how likely you are to get out 7 self founded cities going tradition vs a deity AI that starts with a bonus settler

I completely disagree.

Taking Key Cities/wonders from other civs is totally worth it.

Well, I've played many competitive deity games on this site and unfortunately never saw game when conquest gave better result than boring tradition 4 cities strategy :)

On deity when you aiming for good result there is simple no time to build units, no gold to upgrade them, etc..

It is one of the few ways to truely neutralize the AIs advantages.

The AI has a great deal of bonuses to produce big cities fast packed with wonders,Its is also HORRIBLE at war.

Since "WE" are better at war and worse at production it makes sense to let the AI build the cities for us.

Better be friendly and use for your advantage the biggest AI bonus - gold :)

It seems that on deity, conquest is only a real option very early on especially for peaceful VC. If you do it late, the deity unit spam is a real problem. But conquest early also meant that you delay NC and other science related buildings for archer->CB rush.

Top Bottom