Capto Iugulum: Empires and Nations

I feel that Hanover has behaved responsibly in recent years, and so Paris and Burgundy would like to officially extend recognition to the Kingdom of Hanover.

This is the settlement of Italy and Switzerland as agreed by Paris and Burgundy, Austria, and Spain. Piedmont's king is nominated by me; Genoa and Milan's kings are nominated by Austria; the kings of Naples and Tuscany and the Pope are restored to their respective realms.

Good game all. Now let's make the 1900's an even better one! :D

I would love to see how long Normandy would survive and/or dictate French Nationalism as the years go by, seeing as they have decent (at least not negative) relations with both Paris Burgundy and Languedoc by this time, a strong economy unifying the local region, and finally enough EP to have decent influence.

Terrance, would you like to, at very least, put into effect that trade agreement we agreed to, and bring about an eventual free trade zone between our nations in the first decade or two of the BT, as we discussed before when you signed up to Poitiers?

EDIT: 27/4/12: I have decided to use this post as an image repository for images to be posted elsewhere, e.g. a political cartoon for the 1903 update. Please ignore any attached images if you are a casual reader or lurker.

Attachments

• firingsquad500.jpg
    firingsquad500.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Man_vs_Bear_Boxing_Match6.jpg
    Man_vs_Bear_Boxing_Match6.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 103
Sign this?

Trade agreement of 1852

The Kingdoms of Paris and Burgundy and the Kingdom of Normandy agree to mutually reduce tariffs over a twenty-five year period, in such a way that tariffs will be entirely removed in twenty-five years.

Signed King Philippe of Paris and Burgundy

Sign this?

Trade agreement of 1852

The Kingdoms of Paris and Burgundy and the Kingdom of Normandy agree to mutually reduce tariffs over a twenty-five year period, in such a way that tariffs will be entirely removed in twenty-five years.

Signed King Philippe of Paris and Burgundy

Signed, King Louis II of Normandy
Signed, Prime Minister Ludovic Broussard

Robert E Lee (or one of his relatives) is the president. That sounds awesome on so many levels.

Robert E Lee (or one of his relatives) is the president. That sounds awesome on so many levels.

Racist traitors are, indeed, awesome. :mischief:

Well, considering Lee was opposed to slavery and was protecting his state, and I haven't brought up anyone else, I wouldn't know.

From A Divided People: A Cultural History of the War of the American Presidency, by John Marshal:

"The final defeat of the Governors and the burning of New York City struck deeply into the psyche of the New Englander population in particular. For years many would try to cope with the end of the American republic, which the government in New York City came to represent. Many former soldiers, in hiding under pseudonyms, lucky to not have been discovered and tried for treason, teared when they would hear the Union soldiers marching down the streets of the cities of the Northeast, "Great Scott!" filling the air with its oppressively lilting melody. ...

"Even during the Occupation, small communities would still form unnoticed by the ever-present eyes of the military. ... Close-knit literary circles shared literature that was being hunted down and burned by the military authorities and would have earned anyone caught possessing the material an immediate arrest. ...

"One popular piece of literature was a poem written under the pen-name of Henry Winthrop, a Gubernatorial soldier during the War of the American Presidency, entitled "Columbia's Lament". Although no proper identifier of the Scott government was named, the poem clearly was written in response to the victory of President Scott. It was published in a magazine in Britain, and was smuggled across the Atlantic and circled in secret amongst the literary circles of New England, especially, although it did make inroads into other areas of the country as well. It was widely popular in these secret groups, and is seen as a critical piece of literature not only for the time but for American history. ..."

Columbia's Lament

Oh Lord, my God, I pray to Thee,
Why do men seek to be free?

I

Lowly sinners toil on Earth
till death, then wait for Thy rebirth.
On Earth all look to Heaven above,
waiting for Thy Holy dove
to end our plight, and grant reward,
denied to us by fiery sword.

In Thy great Garden we made a choice,
and since then feared Thy Voice.
But by Thy mercy Thou hath bestowed
to us a route to Thy Holy abode.
And since then men seek to be
humble servants unto Thee.

Thou art Master of us all.
In Thy Yoke we shall not fall.
Let no man put asunder
my hope to be among Thy number.
My efforts are to Thee alone
so I may see Thy Holy throne.

II

This earth is better dry and barren
than to be evil's greatest harem.
His minions plot and turn pitch black
the hearts of men, who turn their back
on Thy great Will for men on earth,
the Will divined before my birth.

Serving he whom Thee forsake
will never lead to Thy great gate.
All men know deep in his heart:
Fear Thee sole, no man no part.
So man seeks to cast off bond
of other men, sin grown fond.

To Thee alone we would then cleave,
and fear not what men conceive.
In that state, we'd be clear
that Thou alone we should fear.
Why, my God, must we lose
that divine right from Thou to choose?

III

Freedom from unrighteous men
cannot persist until the end,
when Thy great glory comes to us;
For in Thou, alone, we must trust.
We must learn to trust Thy yoke,
and not the word the wicked spoke.

This sinful age will see bloodshed.
Peace comes only to the dead.
And wicked hearts will come to bear
and test the righteous, force their prayer.
But it's Thy will that this transpire
so the righteous hold in those times dire.

Oh Lord, my God, I pray to Thee,
Why can't men on earth be free?
But I know not Thy perfect Will,
so I must live, the earth to till.
And I pray, should I Thee test,
that Thou grant me my final rest.

Battle Flag of the Scott Government

Great Scott! The man who leads
The good U-S-of-A!
Great Scott! Who's men succeeds
From since Chincoteague Bay!
Great Scott! His famous deeds
Lead us through battle fray!
Great Scott! His will proceeds
To inspire us today!

OOC:
Spoiler :
@Double A: Yes, Robert E. Lee was Scott's immediate successor for President.

@Crezth: :p
Spoiler :

@Crezth: :p
Spoiler :

:lol:

No joke, though, I love the story you're telling and the bizarro-America you're building. It's all very cool and inspired! :goodjob:

:lol:

No joke, though, I love the story you're telling and the bizarro-America you're building. It's all very cool and inspired! :goodjob:

Danke! Although don't give me too much credit. I did not plan the coup. I just rolled with it.

Danke! Although don't give me too much credit. I did not plan the coup. I just rolled with it.

Well, that's the stuff great NESing is made of. ;)

The USA of the 20th century, in this timeline, will surely be fascinating.

Top Bottom