God & Kings Screenshot Analysis

I think we got the winner here. Look at it this way: The screenshot with the Pictish Warrior is light and dark blue with a Mayan-like symbol. The screenshot with machine guns has Cardiff, which is blue and green with a more Celtish-looking symbo. Just pure speculation, but I think the first civ is Maya with a gifted UU.
I don't think so as you would see in the screenshot with PW you can see PW have same green background with Dublin. So we can assume it's celts who have the PW in question.

I don't think so as you would see in the screenshot with PW you can see PW have same green background with Dublin. So we can assume it's celts who have the PW in question.
I'm not sure, I think the symbol the Pict Warrior has does look a lot like the Hunab Ku-symbol I posted a few posts back. Tilted 45 degrees, removing the spiral in the middle and the outward 'rays'.

I'm not sure, I think the symbol the Pict Warrior has does look a lot like the Hunab Ku-symbol I posted a few posts back. Tilted 45 degrees, removing the spiral in the middle and the outward 'rays'.
But it is the unit symbol not the symbol of the civilization who has the unit.

Question about the new planes.

Could the other one be a UU? Austria?

Or a its a new uu for Germany, Landsknecht going for...
Holy Roman empire?

I'm surprised no one googled the pictish warrior. The first hit is to Wikipedia article about the "Picts" which seem to be a celt tribe that used to live in northern scotland. It is also said that they are usually said to be tattooed. Im no expert but the symbol looks celtic to me. So I'm gessing it is celtic UU.

I'm surprised no one googled the pictish warrior. The first hit is to Wikipedia article about the "Picts" which seem to be a celt tribe that used to live in northern scotland. It is also said that they are usually said to be tattooed. Im no expert but the symbol looks celtic to me. So I'm gessing it is celtic UU.
Of course, but the question is, is it a pre-iron unit?
The screenshot where you see the PW also has Iron being researched, which makes it highly intruiging :)

And slightly nitpicking :p It's not fully sure if the Picts originally were a Celtic-related civ, some say the Picts later merged with the Celts.

Pictish Warriot can be a pikeman replacement, and an upgrade from ruins could explain its early existence.
BTW I doubt CIA analyzes Satellite images this through :)

My guess is that the Pict Warrior is the Celtic UU, and that you get him at Bronze working.
Wonder what his special promotions are.

BTW I doubt CIA analyzes Satellite images this through :)
Hehehe, indeed.

My guess is that the Pict Warrior is the Celtic UU, and that you get him at Bronze working.
Could be, but (unless all values are reworked) it would be an immensly strong unit, combat strenght of spearman (7), hoplite (9) and immortal (8) are a lot lower.
Swordsman has a value of 11, so to me it would make more sense that the Pict is a swordsman replacement with a special ability.

But I could be wrong of course, especially if they truly overhauled the combat system it could make sense the combat strenght is revalued.

==========================

and something different I just read on the 2K-forums:
In the article linked above by gseth, the caption of the second sreenshot says that "New mercantile city-states have access to luxury resources you can't find elsewhere". Can we get a confirmation on that? It seems that city-states will become even more important if this turns out to be true.
It's about this article:
http://asia.gamespot.com/sid-meiers...brings-big-changes-to-civilization-v-6350514/

I didn't notice it either, but if it's true it'll make CS'es even more interesting.

But I could be wrong of course, especially if they truly overhauled the combat system it could make sense the combat strenght is revalued.

This could be true, I found 60 strenght a little much for machine gun too.

As unit health is increased from 10 to 100 (so a more fine-tuned damage model is possible) and as there are new WWI units, they could have very well spread the strength range between early and late units.

Regarding mashineguns as range unit:
Oh, I *really* hope, that they only have range 1! This would be an interesting new tactical concept: "sort of" a meele attack without any danger of being damaged.
Any larger range would be just stupid, as it would contradict the whole idea of range combat.(Which is all about *balistic* shooting - which MGs do *not*!)

Therefore, I don't hope they are in an upgrade path with crossbows - as much as I want to see an unit for this...

What would the connection be, though? Straight from Crossbows to Machine Guns?

Perhaps one of the other new units is the Grenadier, making the upgrade path in 5 the same as it was in 4. Archer > Crossbow > Grenadier > Machine Gun.

I was under the assumption that the Pict Warrior would be a Swordman-replacement? (same strength, but probably an extra ability)
Edit: Ah, i see the screenshot, it's before iron working is discovered. Maybe a gift from a CS? To me it would make a lot of sense that it'd be a swordsman replacement.

I think we got the winner here. Look at it this way: The screenshot with the Pictish Warrior is light and dark blue with a Mayan-like symbol. The screenshot with machine guns has Cardiff, which is blue and green with a more Celtish-looking symbo. Just pure speculation, but I think the first civ is Maya with a gifted UU.

It can't be a gifted unit, since CS's only gift units that you have the tech for. If it requires a resource you also have to have some of that resource to spare.

There was mention of the unit hit-points going up to 100 instead of just 10. This would account for a pre-iron unit having a higher strength than we're used to as well as the machine-gun having 60 for both ranged and combat strength.

Question about the new planes.

Could the other one be a UU? Austria?

Or a its a new uu for Germany, Landsknecht going for...
Holy Roman empire?

If one of them is a UU, we'd still only see 1 plane in the tech panel. The civ with that as a UU sees their UU, while every other civ sees the normal unit the UU replaced. No-one ever see both the normal unit and one civ's UU. Therefore, they must be a fighter and a bomber. Based on the historical roles of biplanes and triplanes, the triplane would most likely be the bomber.

Regarding mashineguns as range unit:
Oh, I *really* hope, that they only have range 1! This would be an interesting new tactical concept: "sort of" a meele attack without any danger of being damaged.
Any larger range would be just stupid, as it would contradict the whole idea of range combat.(Which is all about *balistic* shooting - which MGs do *not*!).

This makes absolutely no sense. Even the earliest firearms had a longer range than bows. Rifled barrels further increased both the range and accuracy. Therefore it'd make more send for the machine gun to have a range of 3.

What you're describing is indirect fire which is one of the higher tiered promotions for ranged units. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find the machinegun isn't allowed to have that promotion. If a ranged unit with indirect fire is upgraded to the machinegun, it'll probably just be a wasted promotion.

Regarding mashineguns as range unit: (Which is all about *balistic* shooting - which MGs do *not*!)

Actually, I remember hearing somewhere that MGs were used for ballistic fire in WW1 to nail people in trenches. So it's not 100% far-fetched. I don't know how much it's used nowadays though.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I tried looking at the mini-maps to see if they revealed the colour schemes of any of the new civilisations, but apart from the Celts (who are quite clearly shown to have bluish-green + light blue), it seems that 2k/Firaxis didn't slip up and reveal any more new ones. Shame, it might have generated some interesting speculation as to who they might belong to.

If anyone wants to double-check, screenshots 4 and 6 appear to show: Persia, the Celts, France, Egypt, Babylon and Spain, while screenshot 5 just shows the Celts and Germany.

This makes absolutely no sense. Even the earliest firearms had a longer range than bows. Rifled barrels further increased both the range and accuracy. Therefore it'd make more send for the machine gun to have a range of 3.

What you're describing is indirect fire which is one of the higher tiered promotions for ranged units. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find the machinegun isn't allowed to have that promotion. If a ranged unit with indirect fire is upgraded to the machinegun, it'll probably just be a wasted promotion.

Sorry, but this has been discussed to death already. If ranged combat in CiV would be about distance, *all* gunpowder units (maybe except Musketeers) should be ranged units! As this is not the case, there must be a different (game) concept.
Call it "indirect fire" if you like - it is all about shooting projectiles over the heads of your own troopes in a ballistic trajectory.

So, if this is true:

Actually, I remember hearing somewhere that MGs were used for ballistic fire in WW1 to nail people in trenches. So it's not 100% far-fetched. I don't know how much it's used nowadays though.

... (I never heard about this fact, but this doesn't say anything) there might be some reason behind MGs as ballistic weapons. But at least for me, this is not the first thing, that would come into my mind.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I tried looking at the mini-maps to see if they revealed the colour schemes of any of the new civilisations, but apart from the Celts (who are quite clearly shown to have bluish-green + light blue), it seems that 2k/Firaxis didn't slip up and reveal any more new ones. Shame, it might have generated some interesting speculation as to who they might belong to.

If anyone wants to double-check, screenshots 4 and 6 appear to show: Persia, the Celts, France, Egypt, Babylon and Spain, while screenshot 5 just shows the Celts and Germany.

It's a fairly safe bet to say the Dutch are going to be some shade of orange.

Top Bottom