Barbarian Activity

Sorry if I'm wrong but I can remember positive attack bonuses(+10%) against barbs,so I'm confused with the -10%.

Yeah, sorry. I mean a bonus of 10%.

OK.;)
What is the reason for increasing it to 15%?
Is it for balancing purposes because barbs are now deadlier?

Before the patch, the world lacked barbarian activities. It needed to be more enjoyable. The idea behind that is to give a small production boost to them, so you can see more of them, but at the same time give a small bonus against, so it's not that hard to protect against them. With raging barbs, this is the same, except there is a horde out there. To me, this seems hugely better, because it is more spectacular, with still an easy mode, and a hard mode.

I seem to remember that there was a variable somewhere in the xml that determined the number of turns before barbarians would appear in game, or before "human" barbarians would appear instead of animals, but I can't seem to find it.
Does it actually exist or did I just see it in my dreams? ;)

Before the patch, the world lacked barbarian activities. It needed to be more enjoyable. The idea behind that is to give a small production boost to them, so you can see more of them, but at the same time give a small bonus against, so it's not that hard to protect against them. With raging barbs, this is the same, except there is a horde out there. To me, this seems hugely better, because it is more spectacular, with still an easy mode, and a hard mode.

Thanks dbkblk,so with raging barbarians now the barbs are stronger in quantity than in quality.

I was just bumping this up a bit to ask if the rate of civilization extinctions was intended. With Raging Barbarians active on Prince difficulty (I usually play Prince or Monarch depending on mood), I went from 12 civilizations on a Huge map to 3. A second game went from 12 to 5 before I had even left Chiefdom. I'm aware that 12 civs is a bit low for a Huge map, and two games is hardly a rigorous sampling, but it seemed unusual enough that I thought I'd come ask.

Essentially, as the player, I can more or less fend off the barbarian hordes, albeit by garrisoning around 4-6 Archers per city; it's certainly not the case that it's "not that hard" to fend them off, but that to me is part of the whole reason I play with Raging Barbarians active. The AI, on the other hand, appears to have a bit more difficulty dealing with the hordes, given the loss of over half of the starting civilizations. I was mostly curious if this was intended behaviour, or indeed, even common behaviour as seen by others.

Do you play with Barbarian Civs?
If you use that option, all those barb cities will sooner or later become new civs, "repopulating" the world.

I was just bumping this up a bit to ask if the rate of civilization extinctions was intended. With Raging Barbarians active on Prince difficulty (I usually play Prince or Monarch depending on mood), I went from 12 civilizations on a Huge map to 3. A second game went from 12 to 5 before I had even left Chiefdom. I'm aware that 12 civs is a bit low for a Huge map, and two games is hardly a rigorous sampling, but it seemed unusual enough that I thought I'd come ask.

Essentially, as the player, I can more or less fend off the barbarian hordes, albeit by garrisoning around 4-6 Archers per city; it's certainly not the case that it's "not that hard" to fend them off, but that to me is part of the whole reason I play with Raging Barbarians active. The AI, on the other hand, appears to have a bit more difficulty dealing with the hordes, given the loss of over half of the starting civilizations. I was mostly curious if this was intended behaviour, or indeed, even common behaviour as seen by others.

The lower the number of civs at the start, the more barbarians are spawned as their number is based on how many fogged tiles are available. Less civs means more dark tiles and hence more barbarians. This could explain your experience. As suggested, try using Barbarian Civs if you want to repopulate the world.

Do you play with Barbarian Civs?
If you use that option, all those barb cities will sooner or later become new civs, "repopulating" the world.

I do, in fact, so I do expect them to eventually come back; I was partially concerned that the new entrants would themselves get hammered back to the Stone Age by the barbarians in the same way, though I didn't play far enough ahead to confirm or deny that.

I'll definitely take the suggestions from both of you into account for the next game set-up, adding more civilizations in addition to keeping Barbarian Civs on. I may also tweak the XML settings outlined in the announcement post if it still gives me too much trouble. Thank you.

As an experiment, you could try playing archipelago map. That way, any given civ wouldn't need to get that large to eradicate the fog tiles near them, and so barbarians would come a little less frequently as raiding parties. Worth a shot.

The AI don't perform as well on archipelago maps, as far as I know. You should probably raise the difficulty if you do.

Back to this topic:

I'd like to use Raging Barbarians, option, but it completely "kill" animal hunting. So could this option be moved from Start-up options to BUG options? So one can enjoy hunting in the early game, and spice up his life whenever he wants :)

Back to this topic:

I'd like to use Raging Barbarians, option, but it completely "kill" animal hunting. So could this option be moved from Start-up options to BUG options? So one can enjoy hunting in the early game, and spice up his life whenever he wants :)
I think we might simply increase animal spawning when Raging Barbarians is related.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14105562 said:
I think we might simply increase animal spawning when Raging Barbarians is related.

Can we have animals spawn up to the end of the Classical Era? There is a <bNoAnimals> tag in Civ4EraInfos.xml that is set to 1 for the Classical Era and later. I don't know if that applies only to games that start in those later eras or if it applies all the time; I think it applies to every game. I would like to allow hunting to last somewhat longer than it currently does.

Is there a way to control the relative amount of spawns between animals and "human" barbarians?
e.g. to have 75% animals / 25% barbs in the ancient era, then 50%/50% in the classical, and so on?
(Or even turn-based, like "realistic timescale" for techs is?)

Is there a way to control the relative amount of spawns between animals and "human" barbarians?
e.g. to have 75% animals / 25% barbs in the ancient era, then 50%/50% in the classical, and so on?
(Or even turn-based, like "realistic timescale" for techs is?)
Not yet, but I'm planning to balance animal and barbarians, they're unbalanced if using Raging Barbarians.

Is Barbarian Civ now something needed to be turn on? The only option I see is during the Custom Game window where there is a No BarbarianCiv option so I assume BarbarianCiv is on by default.

However, since coming back from 1.75 (I was at 993 and now on 1003) I have never seen a Barbarian Civ forming regardless how big a barbarian city got.

@ wr3zzz - Do you have available civ slots for the Barbarians to evolve into.

if you Start the game with say 11 Civ's on the Map.

You need to eliminate 1 civ for the Barbarians to evolve into it.

Various rebels will take up available slots as well.

Though what the limits are I don't know.

Thanks, I didn't know that BarbarianCiv is now capped to total number of Civ in the start of the game.

I always play custom continents on standard map size. It has 11 Civs but default is with 10 active which is what I use.

I prefer the old BarbarianCiv when it's not capped, the element of surprise is more fun. Is there a way to turn that back on?

Top Bottom