Great mod, but AI attacking is severely butchered

Can you guys post some savegame *ready to test* about the AI not attacking? One where the AI should attack next turn with a large army.

You know code can tell a story, right? ?Why not read the code story of how to fight. See where AI is emphasize this or that you are looking for, then change that value. Why not that easy? Fundamentally, because what code you coders put in are from your imaginations! :)
The problem here was that AI code is just chunks that are at various places in the code. This is more like Docteur Who than White-Snow ;)

I'm trying to chase down this bug. It has been introduced between r924 and r930 as I can tell from now.
EDIT: As a surprise, I highly suspect the bug to have been introduced in rev929.

BREAKING NEWS: I've fixed the bug. Here is a beta patch of the DLL, to use on the latest rev (r987):
Link

I have to further test if it doesn't break others things. I suggest that some players does this too as my time is limited today.

BREAKING NEWS: I've fixed the bug. Here is a beta patch of the DLL, to use on the latest rev (r987):
Link

I have to further test if it doesn't break others things. I suggest that some players does this too as my time is limited today.

Just downloaded it myself - giving it a try as we speak (Had two AI's going at it currently, so there's one test right there XD)

The fix doesn't seem to introduce new bugs throughout the game.

Looks like it works :goodjob:

Charlmagne swarmed this French city and took it almost as quickly as he arrived. Earlier he had a similarly sized stack standing outside the same city for a dozen turns not doing anything before finally making peace - so AI warfare is back :hammer:
(Unless the defending AI is Protective.... I still think that free Drill II is a bit overkill considering how generously exp is given to Archery units early on. Don't even need to be in the Medieval to field whole legions of Drill IV archers :p )

Civ4ScreenShot0378.JPG

Welp, this and the Rev fixes will make my playthrought a good deal harder. Time to pull out my fav leader: Qin Shu Huang, a wonder-whore who can also defend!

Welp, this and the Rev fixes will make my playthrought a good deal harder. Time to pull out my fav leader: Qin Shu Huang, a wonder-whore who can also defend!

Revolution still seems crippled for me. If it's working fine for everyone else, then I guess something got messed up on my end - and I *swear* I didn't touch anything :p :lol:

But the AI can actually attack now it seems, so games will start to be challenging again once more :goodjob:

No Rezca, you are not alone about revs... Its just, something seems to be not reasonable at all in them (civic changes, close overseas cities, small civs being destroyed because of revs.. etc). About the bugged attack, i didnt see it anymore, but i still think AI is attacking poorly, they dont send the correct amounts of units when needed and many are sent to die alone. Still, im enjoying a lot my last game :p

(Unless the defending AI is Protective.... I still think that free Drill II is a bit overkill considering how generously exp is given to Archery units early on. Don't even need to be in the Medieval to field whole legions of Drill IV archers :p
Can you elaborate on that or point me in a discussion about that?
Should we reduce the promotion bonus?

...but i still think AI is attacking poorly, they dont send the correct amounts of units when needed and many are sent to die alone. Still, im enjoying a lot my last game :p
That is a whole new problem :) Did you figure it out when using Better AI without other mod?

Can you elaborate on that or point me in a discussion about that?
Should we reduce the promotion bonus??

I've slipped a complaint about Protective's "Drill IV for everyone" warfare into my comments at any possible opportunity :p

In AND they now get a free Drill II from the get go. Without seeing warfare of any kind, or getting any free Great Generals - settled or otherwise - a Protective nation can easily get Drill III or IV on a LARGE number of archers without even hitting the medieval. Now think how painful it is to war with a nation like that, and can effortlessly pump out units that shrug off the best military units of that era and almost entirely ignore collateral damage due to the Drill IV benefits, and then get ADDITIONAL promotions from not only combat promotions, but the Great Generals they just now started earning.

I have yet to finish the Classical era without seeing ANY Protective nation come out of it without a full legion of archers all buffed up to Drill IV, usually with City Garrison II on top of it. It takes 10 siege weapons of a given era just to do any sort of damage to a small group of these units, and that damage will just heal up over the next turn or few turns.

I have not had any moment - save for the odd case of being a full era ahead of the other AI - where this has not been the case with a Protective nation in AND. It always ends up being frustrating to say the least unless you have Bombers - and a lot of them - on hand, which isn't the case in the Classical and Medieval.

I would just say "Protective in AND means 'don't war with this nation before the Industrial'" but when THEY declare war on YOU, or when you need to war to catch up with oter nations / get out of a cramped start, you don't have much choice.
Still, from everything I've seen - Protective here in AND always has ended up being immensely frustrating. AND generously hands out experience to archery units in the earlier game, and with Monarchy boosting the training rate of said units it just makes this worse. I have many times seen nations that never went to war still end up with a large number of Drill IV's before the Classical is even over. That, is very bad.

Granted, I'm not the best player out there, but I've yet to find a reliable counter to large fields of Drill IV's that Protectives always sport that doesn't involve suiciding ghastly amounts of Siege weapons or anti-archery Horse units.

Protective itself might not be the problem, but the fact that Drill IV is available so early. We have to wait until Anatomy and onward before the full Medic line is open to us, maybe Drill III and IV shouldn't be allowed access to until later on as well?

So the solution might to simply give Drill I or Combat II to protective trait instead of Drill II. What do you think about that? What do Vokarya think about that as well?

Link

How did you fixed it?

How did you fixed it?
First, I've tried revs which I suspected to have the bug, then I rolled back until I found the one where this has been introduced. Then, I've found Afforess made a change to fix a rare infinite loop. The fix was made to avoid a loop but it made the AI to only make one action at a time (except moving). I've just reverted that. If the original error came back, we should try another way to fix that (as the AI not attacking is a bigger issue than a rare loop).

[REMOVED]

I just wanted to bump this thread after the latest update. So far so good. Playing on aggressive and ruthless AI and oh boy is the AI attacking working.

My neighbors have all been hyper aggressive(as expected by my settings) and so my game so far has been a torrential downpour of warfare as one after another of my neighbors decides to take a crack at my network of heavily fortified castles.

My economy is struggling, my cities are all unhappy, I'm having trouble keeping access to resources I need to maintain everything, but damnit we're holding the line.

... tl;dr the newest update is pretty spectacular.

I came here to praise the newest revision - the AI fights (too well!) :)

Thanks for the fixes and improvements! I've been having some truly awesome games! Keep up the good work!

Now to restart my next game since I was literally getting clobbered...

I am very happy to see all these positive comments :) Maybe one day, the AI will kick your asses without cheating :D

Top Bottom