Vokarya's Workshop: Units

indeed...:crazyeye:

Those two units and the Mounted Infantry come directly from the Charlemagne mod, where they are all weaker than the Knight. The real problem I have is that they are all medieval-looking art, where the units are a mix of Classical and Medieval.

Something I am going to want to look at soon is that Robotics technology is required as a second tech on a lot of units that don't seem to need it - there are seven units requiring Robotics, and I'd like to pull at least one of them off (probably the A-10 Thunderbolt, and maybe one of the Stealth planes).

On the other hand, Robotics doesn't do anything for production, and I think it should. I'm leaning towards either giving a production bonus to Factory and Manufacturing Plant or an upgrade building.

Something I am going to want to look at soon is that Robotics technology is required as a second tech on a lot of units that don't seem to need it - there are seven units requiring Robotics, and I'd like to pull at least one of them off (probably the A-10 Thunderbolt, and maybe one of the Stealth planes).

On the other hand, Robotics doesn't do anything for production, and I think it should. I'm leaning towards either giving a production bonus to Factory and Manufacturing Plant or an upgrade building.

I like the idea.
I think IRL involving robotics provides not only +:hammers: but unemployment too, which means +:mad:

I like the idea.
I think IRL involving robotics provides not only +:hammers: but unemployment too, which means +:mad:

...Or it just makes things easier for the workers.
Your idea of robotics causing unemployment would only come into effect if it was a fully Automated Factory like in the MoO series, which would still need a few staff to make sure stuff is working right, maintenance, building the parts and possibly AI to run things, and so on.

Manufacturing the robotics (And I doubt these would be the space-age robots that would remove need for human workers as you suggested) would build a new field of employment as well.

Spoiler :
(...)Automated Factory like in the MoO series(...)
You are my fellow :D
I still have MoO2 installed :)

...Or it just makes things easier for the workers.
That's true, but less work for the workers mean, that the employer needs also less workers for the same job to save money and increase the profit.
IMHO

Spoiler :

You are my fellow :D
I still have MoO2 installed :)

That's true, but less work for the workers mean, that the employer needs also less workers for the same job to save money and increase the profit.
IMHO

Spoiler :
I still play MoO2 from time to time. Last game I gave up on early because a rival kept stealing a tech every two turns, even a 2,000-cost one THE TURN AFTER I GOT IT. I had almost 30 spies playing defense and yet... :mad:
Meanwhile the hostile-to-all race kept bombing my planets into dust. Very frustrating!

The only reason I disagree with the Robotics causing unemployment unhappiness is because I doubt robotic machines would replace factory workers that quickly :)
Besides, once the civic Post Scarcity and the Personal Robots from Androids come in... Won't there be a lot of people not needing to work factories anyway?

The only reason I disagree with the Robotics causing unemployment unhappiness is because I doubt robotic machines would replace factory workers that quickly :)
Besides, once the civic Post Scarcity and the Personal Robots from Androids come in... Won't there be a lot of people not needing to work factories anyway?

Well, you may be right.
However I would see fitting some "unhappynes events" time-to-time, something like the dock worker's strike.

Maybe:
Once you have Factory or Manufacturing Plant + Robotics tech in your cities some people lose their job and prostrate against the goverment, but by time thay get used to the situation.
So you get some :mad: penalty for some time, that fades away, and the event also gets obsolate by some newer tech (Post-scarcity perhaps), so you don't see it again in your newer cities when building Factory and Manufacturing Plant.
How does that sound? :)

Well, you may be right.
However I would see fitting some "unhappynes events" time-to-time, something like the dock worker's strike.

Maybe:
Once you have Factory or Manufacturing Plant + Robotics tech in your cities some people lose their job and prostrate against the goverment, but by time thay get used to the situation.
So you get some :mad: penalty for some time, that fades away, and the event also gets obsolate by some newer tech (Post-scarcity perhaps), so you don't see it again in your newer cities when building Factory and Manufacturing Plant.
How does that sound? :)

I meant that robotics wouldn't be advanced enough at the time of their discovery to obsolete the need for human workers, so a + :mad: in factories upon discovering Robotics wouldn't make much sense, and by the time they are at that point (mid to late transhuman) there wouldn't be any need to work in such places anyway.

On a side note, can events be made available depending on the existence of particular buildings/civics/units/resources? Should be, right, after all those shipwreck events only trigger on ship units, yes?

Maybe have the occasional strike event or something, rather than a flat out unhappiness hit. I'm pretty sure back in 1.75 I saw dock strikes, but I don't recall seeing them in AND2.

Unemployment:
Okay Rezca, I guess you are right. I just realized that what a spoke about rather fits to the first appearance of factory. Industrial revolution coused a lot of workers losing their job.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution#Social_effects
Although I can live without it :)

Galley
I just realized that galley has lost its cargo ability :wow:
Is that intentional or a bug?
rev676

Galley
I just realized that galley has lost its cargo ability :wow:
Is that intentional or a bug?
rev676

No, it didn't. Probably you've not updated your revision correctly when Advanced Cargo Mod was added. Reinstall and make sure you clear your cache and delete civilization.ini

45°38'N-13°47'E;13070461 said:
No, it didn't. Probably you've not updated your revision correctly when Advanced Cargo Mod was added. Reinstall and make sure you clear your cache and delete civilization.ini

Well, I always try to do that and usually have no problems :king:
What do you think: Will my current game be updated if I reinstall or do I have to start a new one?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13070461 said:

I've noticed the same bug while previously clearing the cache. I think your old galleys could be sink. Build new galleys as they won't have the bug.
Think of it as a storm which happened between two revision :crazyeye:

I've noticed the same bug while previously clearing the cache. I think your old galleys could be sink. Build new galleys as they won't have the bug.
Think of it as a storm which happened between two revision :crazyeye:

:lol:
I have only one galley, the one you get free for researching sailing first.

Too bad, that the civilopedia says it. The other ships in the line have cargo space, only the galley does not :rolleyes:

I have only one galley, the one you get free for researching sailing first.

Lucky you, i've lost 15 fluyts during the storm :sad:

I noticed that helicopters take damage from terrain like tundra.Is this right?:confused:

I noticed that helicopters take damage from terrain like tundra.Is this right?:confused:

I think it is. Vehicles can get damaged by cold or sand too, and the whole system is abstracted anyway, so I have no problems with it.

Here's a change I would like to make in order to make things a little bit clearer for gunpowder cavalry units (Cuirassier, Cavalry, and UU's). These units have a lot of situational combat bonuses, including +50% vs. Spearman, +50% vs. Pikeman, +50% vs. Heavy Pikeman. While I understand what those bonuses are there for (to cancel those units' bonus vs. Mounted), it looks clunky to me. Would there be a problem if those bonuses were replaced by a flat +50% vs. Melee? I don't think gunpowder cavalry at full strength should ever have a problem defeating a Melee unit. They have the advantages of both range and speed. What do you think?

Here's a change I would like to make in order to make things a little bit clearer for gunpowder cavalry units (Cuirassier, Cavalry, and UU's). These units have a lot of situational combat bonuses, including +50% vs. Spearman, +50% vs. Pikeman, +50% vs. Heavy Pikeman. While I understand what those bonuses are there for (to cancel those units' bonus vs. Mounted), it looks clunky to me. Would there be a problem if those bonuses were replaced by a flat +50% vs. Melee? I don't think gunpowder cavalry at full strength should ever have a problem defeating a Melee unit. They have the advantages of both range and speed. What do you think?

Seems ok to me.

It would make the unit window much clearer.

Top Bottom