General A New Dawn discussion

Interrupting for a brief moment my part in that discussion about Military Maintenance cost, take a look at this:

You need to spell it out for me, I don't see the problem.

Also, you can too switch to an AI player. Turn on cheatcodes, then use control-shift-L. I used it recently for testing.

I see the negative science/commerce thing a lot, and it's usually when I'm about to build say a School of Scribes in a city that has an Elder Council that has not yet gone obsolete. Because the latter building gives a flat +:science: bonus instead of a +15% to existing :science: , the end result is that the % increase that replaces the constant bonus is smaller. So I generally wait to implement scribes into cities until after the councils go obsolete.

I see the negative science/commerce thing a lot, and it's usually when I'm about to build say a School of Scribes in a city that has an Elder Council that has not yet gone obsolete. Because the latter building gives a flat +:science: bonus instead of a +15% to existing :science: , the end result is that the % increase that replaces the constant bonus is smaller. So I generally wait to implement scribes into cities until after the councils go obsolete.

Oh yes, that's it, same thing happened with monasteries and schools.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13260253 said:
Pretty sure these are not bugs.
I need to check but I suppose the negative science is due to a building replacing some other building that will eventually go obsolete. As for promotions, that depends on you not clearing your ini file between different revisions so accidentally you've activated Unlimited XP which is a hidden and off by default option imported from C2C.

Care to explain me 2 things:

1- How can I fix this then, just delete ini and run the game?

2- Why does this option exist? I mean for what purpose unlimited XP is there? I just shook my head in frustration when I saw the uber spearman.

About the building, finally I got it. I wasn't aware it was replacing the Elder Council. So actually it removes the +1:science: and gives +15%:science:, which at the moment was going to reduce my tech rate because I was making only 1:science:. That's why my tech went to 0 after it.

Care to explain me 2 things:

1- How can I fix this then, just delete ini and run the game?

2- Why does this option exist? I mean for what purpose unlimited XP is there? I just shook my head in frustration when I saw the uber spearman.

About the building, finally I got it. I wasn't aware it was replacing the Elder Council. So actually it removes the +1:science: and gives +15%:science:, which at the moment was going to reduce my tech rate because I was making only 1:science:. That's why my tech went to 0 after it.

*1 That's how I understand it. Civilization will create a new ini file for you after you re-launch the game. But if you made any modifications to it, like enabling Flying Camera, you'll have to do that again.

*2 I can't answer this one since I don't really know what Unlimited XP is supposed to do, but as for why it exists - I'd wager the same reason Revolutions, Fixed Borders, Realistic Culture, and other options exist: To change the gameplay and to provide more options for playing the game but without forcing said change on the player :)
If they want it, they can turn it on.

*1 That's how I understand it. Civilization will create a new ini file for you after you re-launch the game. But if you made any modifications to it, like enabling Flying Camera, you'll have to do that again.

*2 I can't answer this one since I don't really know what Unlimited XP is supposed to do, but as for why it exists - I'd wager the same reason Revolutions, Fixed Borders, Realistic Culture, and other options exist: To change the gameplay and to provide more options for playing the game but without forcing said change on the player :)
If they want it, they can turn it on.

1 Rezca is correct, although it won't fix your current game. If it's in single player mode, you can set your options on/off using cheatcode, there's a thread somewhere in the forum explaining how to do it and I've posted a screenshot with the list of options.

2 Again, correct. At the time I've imported that feature from C2C I didn't know what we would use and what we would not. So I simply imported everything I could in order to fix some problem of AND already fixed in C2C and some other feature that I didn't think were useful for our mod at the time but could become useful in the future. To tell the truth, I've explored that option a bit and I really don't like it so I've hidden it and turned off by default. By the way a couple of revisions ago Afforess changed the dll so that those options which are off and hidden can't be activated accidentally (same things happened when no religion was being founded due to Divine Prophet option).

45°38'N-13°47'E;13260454 said:
1 Rezca is correct, although it won't fix your current game. If it's in single player mode, you can set your options on/off using cheatcode, there's a thread somewhere in the forum explaining how to do it and I've posted a screenshot with the list of options.

2 Again, correct. At the time I've imported that feature from C2C I didn't know what we would use and what we would not. So I simply imported everything I could in order to fix some problem of AND already fixed in C2C and some other feature that I didn't think were useful for our mod at the time but could become useful in the future. To tell the truth, I've explored that option a bit and I really don't like it so I've hidden it and turned off by default. By the way a couple of revisions ago Afforess changed the dll so that those options which are off and hidden can't be activated accidentally (same things happened when no religion was being founded due to Divine Prophet option).

I see, so I shall do this for next games. For this game it's time to kickass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum!

This post is how I learned to change options midgame (though I don't know if it might work for MP games as well).
Since the number of options has changed in recent revisions, it might be safer to type in the long command to generate your own complete list of options for whatever revision is in use (and screenshot it for later reference ;) ).

This post is how I learned to change options midgame (though I don't know if it might work for MP games as well).
Since the number of options has changed in recent revisions, it might be safer to type in the long command to generate your own complete list of options for whatever revision is in use (and screenshot it for later reference ;) ).

Wow Noyyau! That post link needs stickied or posted in one of the Sticky threads for future reference!

JosEPh

Why can't I build a District Courthouse here? As you can see on the left, there is already a Courthouse, which seems to be the only requirement. Does it have something to do with the House of Parliament being in that city?
Spoiler :

It's not just here. I have the same problem in a few other cities, but I can't figure out the pattern to it.

Why can't I build a District Courthouse here? As you can see on the left, there is already a Courthouse, which seems to be the only requirement. Does it have something to do with the House of Parliament being in that city?
Spoiler :

It's not just here. I have the same problem in a few other cities, but I can't figure out the pattern to it.

A District Courthouse requires a minimum number of courthouses to be built. In the game I'm playing it's 7 (I guess it's related to size, I'm playing on Gigantic). I guess you can only see it in civilopedia.

By the way this is a good subject.

I was thinking if the Supreme Court is balanced, because it seemed to me 49 cities was something unimaginable. But actually I'm not sure, because I didn't reach that point in the game, and in 1452 AD I have over 30 cities. But it was surprising nonetheless, not something many nations will be able to build.

It needs a number of courthouses, scaled to map size I assume

Spoiler :

Zo, zee lagther da mep, de moor cort houzes need's

I play Giagantic maps, so I assume it 11 to 1 as I could only build 3 from memory, with 31 cities.

Any building with a prerequisite count is scaled to map size. There is a default (in this case, 3 Courthouses per District Courthouse, and 3 District Courthouses to build a Supreme Court), plus a bonus controlled by the <iBuildingClassPrereqModifier> tag in CIV4WorldInfo.xml.

So for Standard size, <iBuildingClassPrereqModifier> is 50, so you get 3 + (3*.5) equals 4.5, which rounds down to 4; you need 4 Courthouses per District Courthouse and 4 DC's to build Supreme Court. On Gigantic, <iBuildingClassPrereqModifier> is 150, so the result is 3 + (3*1.5), which is 7.5, rounds down to 7. Duel size is the only size where the modifier is 0.

What's the difference between "Stop Trading With" and "Cease All Relations With" really?

Both seem to last a very short period of time (The AI you ask this of resumes trading the second the 'time limit' expires) and both seem to do more or less the same thing, unless I'm missing something beyond the additional diplomatic hit that both parties receive. The diplo penalty from ceasing relations does seem to wear off over time though?

I'm asking since the AI literally demands an arm and a leg and a third of your empire's income for the latter, but the same AI will often do the former for free. I've got Ceasar for example who absolutely hates Alfonso's guts, and has a huge amount of positive bonuses with me (Sans a hit for declaring war on Cyrus) and he wants two techs, all my spare resources and GPT, and all but 11 gold from my treasury to cease relations with Alfonso (This would be the fifth time someone's asked him to do so in the past dozen or so turns... Do the AI give in to these requests for free when asking each other?) but I ask him to simply stop trading and he does it for free no questions asked.

So what bonus is there to asking an AI to cease relations with another instead of merely stop trading? One almost invariably costs a mountain more than the other, but in both cases the AI pretty much always resumes trading the very turn the embargo expires.

Stop Trading with ends all mutual deals, as in open borders, embassies, or resource deals.

Cease relations with does all of that, and prevents tech trading, gold trading, unit trading or contact trading.

Fairly significant difference.

Stop Trading with ends all mutual deals, as in open borders, embassies, or resource deals.

Cease relations with does all of that, and prevents tech trading, gold trading, unit trading or contact trading.

Fairly significant difference.

Gotcha, that explains the massive costs when asking for an AI to do so then. :)

However, I see the AIs flinging this back and forth quite often - over the course of three turns I saw seven Ceased Relations messages, five of which were directed at Shaka of the Zulu, then three more over the next few turns. Given how much I have to pay for a cease relations even towards a leader the AI I'm asking hates, I'm surprised the other AI's aren't bankrupt by now, unless they're getting free passes on this.

Though, Ceasar is somehow the tech leader in the game with only four cities (Three of which are tundra-locked) and he's been asked to Cease Relations the most, so I figure people must have been giving him a ton of techs in the deal. There's no way he could out-tech Mansa Musa, Alfonso, or Justinian who all have very nice land and three times the number of cities on his own.

However, I see the AIs flinging this back and forth quite often - over the course of three turns I saw seven Ceased Relations messages, five of which were directed at Shaka of the Zulu, then three more over the next few turns. Given how much I have to pay for a cease relations even towards a leader the AI I'm asking hates, I'm surprised the other AI's aren't bankrupt by now, unless they're getting free passes on this.

Though, Ceasar is somehow the tech leader in the game with only four cities (Three of which are tundra-locked) and he's been asked to Cease Relations the most, so I figure people must have been giving him a ton of techs in the deal. There's no way he could out-tech Mansa Musa, Alfonso, or Justinian who all have very nice land and three times the number of cities on his own.

Seems to me Caesar is the smarter diplomat in your game ;)

Seems to me Caesar is the smarter diplomat in your game ;)

Taking advantage of the other AI's like that :lol:

Of course, that's assuming they're offering the same deals he's trying to weasel out of me. Some AI settled for just a single tech (And they just resume trading again a short while later. Why do I even bother? xD) so maybe he's getting away with the same and is just trying to take advantage of my Friendly status? :confused:

Eesh, even with Mansa Musa - the famous trade-with-everyone leader, I can almost never get a tech for a tech deal anymore. I went to each and every leader, and none of them were willing to trade Divine Right (Both wonders had been built ages ago. There was no worth left in the tech) and even with leaders I had a 3, 4, or 5 tech lead on... They refused to hand it over. It was in the white, so they were willing, but my Friendly status and the tech now being useless apparently wasn't enough for them to fork it over for any amount of trading :rolleyes:

I just feel like tech trading is way too hard in AND at times, I mean I can get it if I was playing on Prince or Monarch, but Noble too? Ah well, I can live with it since I catch up with them eventually, even if it does annoy me seeing the AI being so damn greedy even at Friendly relations. I actually like a bit of an uphill struggle, makes the game more rewarding. So I suppose it's not all that bad! Best part of this 'AI tech-greed' though: They refuse to give me their techs no matter what I offer, then three turns later beg a tech freebie from me HAH! Yeah right like I'm going to give them that when they refuse to trade me one for three of my techs :lol:

It is intentional that cease relations occur in groups rather than spread out. I wanted the AI to all cease relations at once.

I just feel like tech trading is way too hard in AND at times, I mean I can get it if I was playing on Prince or Monarch, but Noble too? Ah well, I can live with it since I catch up with them eventually, even if it does annoy me seeing the AI being so damn greedy even at Friendly relations. I actually like a bit of an uphill struggle, makes the game more rewarding. So I suppose it's not all that bad! Best part of this 'AI tech-greed' though: They refuse to give me their techs no matter what I offer, then three turns later beg a tech freebie from me HAH! Yeah right like I'm going to give them that when they refuse to trade me one for three of my techs :lol:

Are you on Ruthless AI? It makes it harder to tech trade, but I am not sure the logic for it is totally perfect either.

Are you on Ruthless AI? It makes it harder to tech trade, but I am not sure the logic for it is totally perfect either.

By the way is there anywhere I can find all things that are changed with Ruthless AI? I always use that option but I have no idea what it does, I'm just used to play with it.

Top Bottom