Fastest route to Civil Service? (Quick speed)

Red_Baron

Chieftain
Hey,

So I play Civ with some friends and no matter what I play or seemingly how I play, I cannot beat them to civil service. I asked if they skip certain techs early on to ruch it and they say no, yet they get there 10 or so turns before me.

Just wondering what the quickest 'route' in the tech tree would be to get there so fast?

Thanks.

I bet the reason is that they are growing their cities faster. Ask them what their city sizes are when they get to Civil Service versus your sizes. I bet they have at least 5 population more.

But really if you sort out the growth and production so you can compete euqally with your friends then after luxury techs and philosophy the best way is to click on Currency then Horse RIding then Civil Service.

But it depends on your style as well. I alwyas go to Guilds first as I have too much culture and want to get to Medieval very fast.

I bet the reason is that they are growing their cities faster. Ask them what their city sizes are when they get to Civil Service versus your sizes. I bet they have at least 5 population more.

But really if you sort out the growth and production so you can compete euqally with your friends then after luxury techs and philosophy the best way is to click on Currency then Horse RIding then Civil Service.

But it depends on your style as well. I alwyas go to Guilds first as I have too much culture and want to get to Medieval very fast.

Usually either the exact same pop, or even I'm ahead by one or two pop. I usually go pottery first with scout>scout depending on production (only one scout if the second doesn't finish on the turn pottery finishes) then shrine.

I then go animal husbandry to prep for getting settlers out, then start to improve for production (lock food majority tiles, improve sheep for example, horses, cattle, wheat etc) then get my lux techs and beeline for Civil Service. They are usually completing for example Chichen Itza when I am just starting to research CS, which seems like a huge lead out of nowhere.

Looks like you arent doing anything wrong. If this happens all the time, and isnt depending on the starting location or the civ they play with, then maybe they are cheating! :D

If you want you can play against me and I will play my best game and we can see what is what. Im not bad so if I dont beat you to CS by 10 turns then I would recommend asking your friends what is up! :D

Usually either the exact same pop, or even I'm ahead by one or two pop. I usually go pottery first with scout>scout depending on production (only one scout if the second doesn't finish on the turn pottery finishes) then shrine.

I then go animal husbandry to prep for getting settlers out, then start to improve for production (lock food majority tiles, improve sheep for example, horses, cattle, wheat etc) then get my lux techs and beeline for Civil Service. They are usually completing for example Chichen Itza when I am just starting to research CS, which seems like a huge lead out of nowhere.

You didn't talk about NC : when do you get it usually ? What policies do you take and in which order ?

When do you settle and how many cities ?

You didn't talk about NC : when do you get it usually ? What policies do you take and in which order ?

When do you settle and how many cities ?

NC can be anywhere at or under turn 100 (around 80ish with a non terrible start) usually with 2-4 cities happiness dependent, but usually 3/4.

Probably 9/10 go tradition, if there are no uniques around when I am looking to settle I will pick the happiness end policy, if I am doing fine or on the borderline I'll pick the growth policy. Usually after tradition I like to open piety or commerce or very rarely the one for influence (just the opener if I am totally surrounded by CSs)

Looks like you arent doing anything wrong. If this happens all the time, and isnt depending on the starting location or the civ they play with, then maybe they are cheating! :D

If you want you can play against me and I will play my best game and we can see what is what. Im not bad so if I dont beat you to CS by 10 turns then I would recommend asking your friends what is up! :D

The absolute crazy thing is, a few times they've even gotten Oracle, which means they went up into Philosophy and then back down to civil service, by the time I am just about finishing Philosophy.

That's the problem, on quick speed, turn 100 NC is extremely late. I bet it's your NC timing.

Yeah, I don't have much experience in Quick speed but NC should be done by T60 tops when playing Tradition I think (~2/3 of the Normal speed timing). Regarding policy choices, I think you're fine :)

That's the problem, on quick speed, turn 100 NC is extremely late. I bet it's your NC timing.

Turn 100 would be the latest, closer to turn 70/80, so do you build it as soon as you get philosophy then no matter how many cities you have? Lets say I have two cities out, I would hold off on founding the 3rd and just do the NC around 60 first?

80 is acceptable for normal speed, but not quick speed. You should hold off founding cities if it would delay NC unless the city is needed to block your enemy from expanding there. First expo can have time to build granary -> library. 2/3 expo might have to go library first or have to buy library. Don't build more than 3 expo before NC unless you have exceptional map with enough gold to rush buy settler and library. You get philosophy as soon as your libraries complete and start NC. If you have exceptional hammers in capital, you can build oracle before NC.

Turn 100 would be the latest, closer to turn 70/80, so do you build it as soon as you get philosophy then no matter how many cities you have? Lets say I have two cities out, I would hold off on founding the 3rd and just do the NC around 60 first?

T70 on quick speed is more or less like T105 on normal speed, in most games you should hit Education around that time... So yes, you have to stop settling cities after one or two expos, get the libraries up and ideally start building the NC on the exact turn you hit Philosophy. I think most people therefore aim at 2 expos before NC and a third one on the turn it completes if possible (buying the settler in this case). But I guess it depends how much production your capital has : if it is poor you'll probably go for 2-city NC and subsequent expos afterwards and if you have lots of production, good potential expo sites and were able to steal enough workers you may be able to go for 4-city NC and still get it in reasonable time.

If you're playing Liberty the strat is completely different though...

Top Bottom