Help for New Civ player

Ruuger

Chieftain
Hi guys, I am brand new to Civ and as such would appreciate any advice I can get, especially as to what Mods would be best to make it look really good and informative, and what kind of strategy I should use. I have dabbled a little bit in Civ 5, but don't really know what I am doing. Thanks for any advice given. :)

If youve never played before I wouldnt get too obsesed with in Strategy right away. Just Enjooy It. I played 2000 hours of this game before I started caring about getting good. When you DO want to get good, watch the videos of the best players and read the guides in this straetgy section. No need for a million new player threads :p

InfoAddict is particulary good at showing global diplomatic relations, along with graphs of all sorts of useful things.

Enhanced User Interface will give you much more info on screen.

You should know that Enhanced User Interface can help with information but InfoAddict is technically cheating because it shows you information you shouldnt have

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense. Either you want to play the version of the game as released by Firaxis, which means no mods (including EUI), or you want to play a different game, which means using mods, each of which will change some aspect of game play, game mechanics and/or the game's user interface, including providing information that is not readily available through the user interface as released by Firaxis. Neither choice is "cheating" ("technically" or otherwise), so please refrain from moralizing about the choices other players make.

who made the code seems like a really arbitrary (correct word?) divission. i was making point about availability. Enhanced UI just organises information available already which makes it faster and easier. its not a moral judgment. i dont care if someone uses Infoaddict. i was just trying to make the person aware that infoaddict will show them things that they wouldnt otherwise know. that is all. no morals involved.

enhanced user interface is excellent and will make playing the game feel much smoother without changing anything to gameplay

if you're new, don't worry too much about gameplay mods, the game is certainly playable in its unmodded condition. play for a while and if you feel like something needs to be changed, there's probably a mod for it (NQ mod for example)

enhanced user interface is excellent and will make playing the game feel much smoother without changing anything to gameplay

if you're new, don't worry too much about gameplay mods, the game is certainly playable in its unmodded condition. play for a while and if you feel like something needs to be changed, there's probably a mod for it (NQ mod for example)

To be hoenst never liked it to much info on the screen

Out of interest, and while on the topic anyway, what information does InfoAddict provide that you can't see normally? I've never really looked into mods before, but am considering a change.

Hi guys, I am brand new to Civ and as such would appreciate any advice I can get, especially as to what Mods would be best to make it look really good and informative, and what kind of strategy I should use. I have dabbled a little bit in Civ 5, but don't really know what I am doing. Thanks for any advice given. :)

The most important things I would suggest on focusing on are happiness and science per turn.

As far as strategy, first thing I ask people who I'm helping is "How do you want to win?". Depending on the way you want to win, you pick the best civ to help you do that. Then it gets more complicated with the policy tree and tech tree, but just focus on what is going to help you achieve your goal/victory condition.

watch the videos of the best players and read the guides in this straetgy section. No need for a million new player threads :p
I was contemplating starting one of these threads but will piggy back on this one. Back in the Civ II days I was on Apolyton but it is clear that CivFanatics has achieved a cultural victory. Having not played since CIV III came out I don't know who the good players are. Can you point out who some of the better players are to follow. My playing style tends to be Scientific with conflict avoidance. I use to love the OCC with Civ II and killing that option in CIV III is what drove me away. My old computer couldn't handle CIV V but I recently got a new one and then Steam put CIV V on sale for basically nothing, so it looks like I'm back. Haven't got more than 4 hours of sleep per night for the last week or so. Considering quitting my job and leaving my family to devote the time I need for this. :D

Top Bottom