End of Empires - N3S III

If this was going to be updated next week, I wouldn't have time.

Maninism is part of the potential fun, as I don't think I've played in a similar situation. Fighting constant wars to try and convert everyone on this side of the Lovi Sea to it will be a new experience. Das's Dark Age is just icing on the cake.

You're in, then :)

I'll send you a PM with some details. I've been having quite a bit of fun with Maninism in this NES, and I'm so glad it's not dead, just dormant while NK is at school.

No, I came back after last semester. I was only there for the fall semester. I've been back in New Haven since second semester started in January, although I was in New Jersey for the past two weeks on break.

Anyway, for Thlayli, I'm at Yale for now. I'll be applying to law schools this fall--ugh.

Cool. There's NK at Amherst, myself at Fordham, and jalapeno_dude at some other unimportant Massachusetts school. :p Not quite sure where Contempt drifted off to, but he's in the northeast as well.

IC:

High Oracle Ishalia calls upon the city of Magha to open its' gates to the Moti, as they have promised that the city itself will be spared.

Several of the surviving Seven Princes have rejected the leadership of the Oracle and are traveling north to Asikhar. The mantle of the Redeemer has not been claimed and is apparently in dispute.

Cool. There's NK at Amherst, myself at Fordham, and jalapeno_dude at some other unimportant Massachusetts school. :p

I assume that means the H-word? :lol:

IC:

To: Seadol

We will guarantee your independence against any future incursion by the Evyni Empire.

To: Evyni Empire

Our wars have been long and tiring, and we would like to set aside our differences. However, the only way truly lasting peace can be achieved is if Evyni remains fully tolerant of its now quite sizable Faith minority and allows Gallatene ministration and missions within Evyni.

Would be good to have stats. Also, the update seems to suggest that most followers of Alta have fled former Ferman. Is this the case? A new religion map would be useful.

To: Gallat

The Empire shall not and will never condone the practice of perverse heresies within the bounds of the state.

OOC: Of course, but since the update's not for a long while, I feel no rush. :p

Stolen from the mother of all civilization, Seshweay.

Luckymoose said:
Nothing matches up to the greatness of Bahraic.

Who the heck are they? :mischief:

Charles Li said:
Show me examples of Seshweay and Bahraic. Our scholars would like to chart the growth and evolution of languages!

Simple answer: Seshweay -----> everything else.

Historically Ignorant said:
Yes, but of the Uggor of the south? The um... Inhabitants of the Spice Isle? The Atra Xorti of the Northeast?

They stole it from us.

Ultra Farou Nationalist said:
Actually, no. Faronun script was developed independently, very near to the ancient time of our founding.

It's a stunning coincidence that you were founded after Seshweay City-States had begun writing...

Barbarian said:
Yeah, nations totally can't develop writing traditions independently of each other.

If that were true we'd have something like character-based alphabets in East Asia and letter-based alphabets in the West.

The ancestors told us so! It's not our fault that you are all un-enlightened barbarians! Read the Book of Common Prayer why don't you? [This is mostly in character ranting].

Stolen from the mother of all civilization, Seshweay. It's a stunning coincidence that you were founded after Seshweay City-States had begun writing...
The Rebuttal of Igaen Laoreda, Faronun Historian

Please my good sir, have a look at the evidence. It is clear that Faronun written languages developed independently of other civilizations.

Let us consider the Arkage.
Language(s): The writing is cuniform. Tense, not word order, is used to determine the context of speaking.
A relationship is highly unfeasible, due to the radically different natures of Arkage and Faronun language- Arkage is Cuneiform, while Faronun is a system of consonants appended to a vowel line.

Or the Seshweay.
Language(s):

Seshweay speak one language, however from region to region it varies heavily with different dialects being the norm. The most spoken version is perhaps with a hint of humour “High” Seshweay spoken primarily by the elite in business and civil interactions it is characteristic of the Seshweay language as a whole; Complex.

Seshweay between Ancestral groups will speak to each other differently to those outside the group using different greetings and changing the formality of the speech and changing the verb endings and even in the more extreme cases omitting whole sounds.

Seshweay is characterised as a language group by its extremely complex sense of timing, events of in the past, present and future have sub categories, those events which happen in the distant past and in the close past have different sentence construction. Similarly events which are happening in the present and those which have been resolved in the present have different construction. Throw into that a completely different approach to speaking about the ancestors and possible futures and the average non-native-speaker is unlikely to ever learn.

The word Seshweay means variously, people, the people, the four cities which claim to be the only real Seshweay, culture, the world, the heavens and a great many things beside (what context it is being used in is generally codified directly after or before the word is used, generally, Seshweay humour is composed of forgetting to codify the exact usage properly).
By this record, the Seshweay had not yet developed the written language for which it was later so famous. It is entirely possible that Seshweay developed their language at a later point, in tandem or influenced by the Arkage.

Perhaps the Hu'ut?
Language(s): Hu'ampaibve. The language is quite rough and blabbering. Words are very long, and are pronounced very fast. Fx a sentence could be "Uijjanbekevbk sevikla mub've a'ini hubvawbkio dhaes", said at the same speed as "My dog ate it". There is major traces of a more simple language, Ujji, in the south (a sentence could be "Limbje tatuop klbe doc' ").
While the closely interwined history of ancient Farou and the Hu'ut Empire makes a relationship entirely possible, the Hu'ut had not yet developed written language, and the two languages are so radically different that it is almost unimaginable that they could be expressed with the same alphabet.

Now, let us consider historical records regarding the early culture of Farou.
Language(s): Farouese is a very smooth language, with many complex vowel sounds and soft consonants. It is fairly loosely structured, though there is typically a subject-object-action order in sentences. The written form of the Farou language uses a simple alphabet, typically carved into clay. The letters consist of a system of dots and straight lines.
What is understood to be the origins of the Faronun language developed independently of any known civilization. The consensus of popular belief, our own mythology, and our historical understanding is that the language was first developed as the linear system which is now used to express our vowels. It was used as way to write down tone for music, quite similarly to the way that we can notate our music in modern Faron.

One other possibility remains, however.
Language(s): The writing system evolved from pictures to a crude alphabet containing 2 dozen characters. Writing is done in clay, until a more suitable method is obtained. There is a dialect of the language spoken by the lower class (Trihi) and a more sophisticated version spoken by the upper and trader class (Triha).
It is noted that today, Faronun script makes use of 16 consonants and a vowel line. It is entirely possible that the use of consonants in ancient Trilui's alphabet was adopted by the scribes of early Farou, allowing our early systems to develop into a full-fledged written script. However, it remains equally possible that the consonants too were developed within Farou.

I will conduct further research and maintain our correspondence.

-Igaen Laoreda

Yes, but of the Uggor of the south? The um... Inhabitants of the Spice Isle? The Atra Xorti of the Northeast?

Uggor got their written characters/language from Thearak, who got theirs from the northern civilizations. So yeah, the southern peoples probably do owe a lot to the Seshweay when it comes to languages.

P.S. Still eagerly awaiting stats. I'm sorry I can't write too much right now, as my computer is acting up.

Top Bottom