Future Worlds

sorry, but when u say that they'll be calculated as negative numbers..what do u mean? that if now it shows 1 turn per tech,it will show 100 ? or minus 100 ? :)
also, i think the question is weather the game calculates tech beakers costs from the first tech in the tree, or from the place u reached, no ?

Every technology in the <Technologies> xml-table is pre-assigned a basic cost in science beakers. The effective cost in beakers of every technology is calculated at game-start from this basic cost stated in the <Technologies> xml-table, with modifiers (multiplication done on the basic cost number) applied based on selected Player GameSpeed, WorldSize, Difficulty Level, etc. The only changes made to this initial technology cost in beakers for an individual player come from city-founding, city-capturing, city-annexing, and the like (As memory serves, players that are trailing in the technology tree also get a discount on the beakers cost of every technology that other players have already researched). One's 'place on the technology tree' actually has nothing to do with the calculated cost of the technology, nor does the cost of the 1st tech in the tech tree.

Here are the important bits:
  1. the game's various systems expect these calculations to result in a positive number, and these systems do not work well or correctly for any technology that gets a negative technology-cost after all the calculations are completed.
  2. because of the way computers and computer-games work, they do not actually have infinite numerical values available for any type of game-information. Rather, they have a memory-allocation pre-assigned by the game-makers. This memory-allocation will determine the largest integer value that can be used for a particular type of game information. Very-often, if this largest allowable integer value is exceeded, the result will be either negative numbers, or the largest allowable number will essentially get subtracted from the number that is too large for the game to handle. In this particular case, negative numbers are the result -- and you get what you are seeing.

Has incorporating global warming into the mod been brought up before? I think doing that would make the green techs a little bit more worthwhile researching.

I thought the Battleship upgraded to the Missile Cruiser in the base game? I'll have to check and make sure I didn't accidently break that.

The Battleship should upgrade to the Missile Cruiser but doesn't. You didn't break that. Firaxis forgot to include that feature when they added the Missile Cruiser.

As you point out, the Stealth Bomber is pretty much one of the ultimate endgame units, so I couldn't really think of anything that would follow them. I could create a Suborbital Bomber with greater range, but I preferred to focus on ground and ranged units. I might go ahead and create a Suborbital bomber if I tweak the Stealth Bombers promotions so that it could be intercepted, making it a bit more interactive than just pummeling enemies with impunity. (It makes sense that the Suborbital Bomber would be even harder to intercept... :p)

Can I just drop tungsten rods on my enemies from orbit? Which reminds me, Rare Earth Metals might be a good Strategic Resource, especially for all this high-tech computer network stuff, prior to nanomaterials (which I agree are too easy to come by).

No offense taken. :p They're a bit of a long story, though.

In V1, since I couldn't do infantry models yet I was feeling rather limited in what new units I could add. There was the Zombie unit model, however, so I figured I'd add in the Mutant to have another new unit, and as a bit of an homage to things like Resident Evil and the Umbrella Corporation. It was originally designed as a cheap Infantry alternative that could regenerate, giving an option for a disposable front-line unit. Since they were just random victims mutated into monsters, it made sense they didn't actually upgrade from anything, and they were just disposable fodder.

As I got better at doing unit models, however, I started to mull upon the idea of extending the Mutant line into a line of "biotroopers" -- Future Worlds is somewhat divided up into three "branches", and the "ecological" branch was lacking in units a bit. Creating the biotrooper line helped compensate for that by giving the ecologicals more units to build. Certainly, I'm aware most players typically just upgrade existing units in the end game... but I've always been a rather poor warmonger, and thus tend not to instead only end up building units when I need them (usually when I get invaded for not having a strong enough military). So for me, I didn't mind the thought of units you had to build fresh, rather than upgrade. What's more, I added in buildings like the VR Training Centre and the Biogenesis Pods which allowed you to make more veteran/powerful units from scratch. Given that the Biogenesis Pods also accelerate the production of the "biotrooper" line and the chimeras, it did lend itself to a possible playstyle where the player can create veteran units from scratch quickly, which may work with certain civs such as Huitzil's Fairy Alliance (which encourages that playstyle).

I've been thinking about this, and I agree with you that the top portion of the tech tree (the ecological line) should be about getting a elite troops. Initially this would start with Penicilin's Marine. This would lead into a Special Forces unit in the early (ie, base game), which - while weaker in raw numbers - has bonus promotions that compensate (allowing them to quickly cross rough terrain, maybe stealth if that would work for a land unit). Continuing down this line, your civilizations starts producing genetically enhanced soldiers - the Organic Soldiers followed the Biotroopers. A bit squishier than their counterparts in the lower part of the the tech tree, but with loads of additional enhancements, including regenerative tissues, to compensate. Meanwhile the lower part of the tech tree is about mass producing straightforward forwards without all the elite tricks that the more ecologically minded Civ is focusing on.

As for the Mutants and Chimeras, they'd be a new category of units that Civilizations unlock by completing the Pholus Mutagen Project (similar to the Manhattan Project). They're weak on defense, but strong on attack with a Fear-inducing aura. They're also fast, and have a chance of converting defeated units into more Mutants and Chimeras. The World Congress would get an extra Resolution about banning the use of such biological weapons.

I haven't really had the chance to look at how diplomatic victory is coded -- I may be able to tweak some of the values once I get the time to go through it in more depth.

If you add an additional era or two after the Information Age (you have enough material for two, a Transhuman Age and a Space Age), you could set the World Congress to not start voting on a World Leader until one of the later eras, and also tinker around which how many votes each player gets in a particular era.

The problem with adding new eras is that it would a. Affect CulDiv support and b. Cause possible AI errors - Pouakai managed to get round them in EE, but I'm not really sure how :/

It'd be amazing if someone could extract all the information in the mod and put it up on the wiki!

Hi, first off, really great mod!

I just have a little question about one of the buildings. The Mycoprotein Vats text says they require hospitals, but the code has them require Vivariums. Which piece of data is the correct one?

The problem i found so far:
-Arcologies tech with out Orbital Development tech.
-The effects of Vivarium, Drone Hive, and Ecosanctuary dont work.
-The mutacologies dont have +2 gold as the Synthecologies(biowell).
-The unit dont have network combat promotion inside the Network Node or Network Core improvement.
-When the worker finished to build the Notwork Node or Network Core improvement, the nearby units dont have the network combat promotion. They gotta move to another title to get that promotion.
-In your FutureLua, you are plotting 3 titles radius of city. I think 5 is the best, since the city can grow up to 5 titles radius.
-You completely forget the Strategic View Icons.

Suggestion:
-I think the scout should be able to upgrade into UAV. It makes sense since both of em are recon units.

It's an effect of the Gene Vault wonder, but yes, that's not working.

Another thing's not working as well; The Gene Vault is supposed to give +2 Culture to Academies, but it's not working for HERC(High-Energy Research Center)s, which are derived from Academies with tech advance. Only the +2 Science from Nature Preserves is working from that wonder's effects.

It must have to do with the fact that Mutacologies are derived from Synthecologies and HERCs from Academies, so there's an oversight in code somewhere.

Hope this issue gets fixed, along with the others mentioned.

Not tested yet, but I think adding the following to FuturePolicies.xml will fix the Mutacology/HERC problem.

Code:
<Row>
			<PolicyType>POLICY_GENE_VAULT</PolicyType>
			<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_FW_MUTACOLOGY</ImprovementType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
			<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>
<Row>
			<PolicyType>POLICY_GENE_VAULT</PolicyType>
			<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_FW_HERC</ImprovementType>
			<YieldType>YIELD_CULTURE</YieldType>
			<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>

I think I might be able to touch on the Vivarium/Drone Hive/Ecosanctuary problem as well, though the others might be beyond my skill to discern what's not working...

I think this might be intended in the first place. Closer look at the tech tree and reading the tech requirements says that the Artificial Environments tech leads to both Orbital Development and Arcologies, and that Orbital Development is a dead-end branch which doesn't lead to any other techs when researched.

Though then that leads to the question why the tech tree was drawn that way, seemingly showing that Orbital Development is required for Arcologies. It seems to be just an art issue for now.

Actually, I just checked using the ingame editor, and whilst Vivarium does not work, the other two seem to (though you do have to end turn to see the effects).

Actually, I just checked using the ingame editor, and whilst Vivarium does not work, the other two seem to (though you do have to end turn to see the effects).

Hmm, I checked myself.

Ecosanctuary definitely doesn't work. At all.

Drone Hive seems to confer just +1 Gold for Comm Arrays and Industrial Complexes instead of the stated +2 Gold. +2 Production for Generators is definitely not working though.

Working at fixing some of these errors at the moment. :3

Hi, first off, really great mod!

I just have a little question about one of the buildings. The Mycoprotein Vats text says they require hospitals, but the code has them require Vivariums. Which piece of data is the correct one?

Mycoprotein Vats should require Vivariums, and Arcologies should require Hospitals. Correcting the text to reflect this.

The problem i found so far:

I think this might be intended in the first place. Closer look at the tech tree and reading the tech requirements says that the Artificial Environments tech leads to both Orbital Development and Arcologies, and that Orbital Development is a dead-end branch which doesn't lead to any other techs when researched.

Though then that leads to the question why the tech tree was drawn that way, seemingly showing that Orbital Development is required for Arcologies. It seems to be just an art issue for now.

It's a mistake in the technologies code -- I gave Arcologies the wrong preqrequisite. The tech tree draws the pipe connecting it to Artificial Environments so that it goes under Orbital Development, which is why I didn't notice it before. XD I've fixed the dependency.

As Distant Rainbow points out, Mutacologies and HERCs count as separate improvements from Synthecologies and Academies don't apply to them. The code he provides should work as a stopgap, although I'll incorporate it into the next update as well.

-The unit dont have network combat promotion inside the Network Node or Network Core improvement.
-When the worker finished to build the Notwork Node or Network Core improvement, the nearby units dont have the network combat promotion. They gotta move to another title to get that promotion.

Trying to fix this in the lua code right now.

-In your FutureLua, you are plotting 3 titles radius of city. I think 5 is the best, since the city can grow up to 5 titles radius.

Can cities work tiles outside of the 3 tile radius in the base game? I'm going to try a different method to walk through the tiles belonging to a city, though, as simply counting the tiles within X radius means its possible for cities to overlap and count the same improvements.

I need to rework the code for several buildings, so I'll see if I can identify any bugs in these buildings.

Part of the problem with buildings like these is that I can't add yields directly to the building itself, so the info display will never show any bonuses, although the city itself gains the bonus yields through dummy buildings.

At some point I'd like to learn to use MCIS so I can at least have icons in the city display showing the bonus yields...

-You completely forget the Strategic View Icons.

Eheheheh... I never use Strategic View, myself, and it's another sequence of icons to have to make so I typically forget to do them. XD At some point I plan to do another pass over the units, so I'll try and do SV icons for them then.

Suggestion:
-I think the scout should be able to upgrade into UAV. It makes sense since both of em are recon units.

I've made the UAV more of a direct follow-on to the ranged line, so I'm not sure about this, although the UAV does have some recon-like elements. When I revisit untis in the future I made add more of a recon line in that the Scout line may upgrade to.

I need to rework the code for several buildings, so I'll see if I can identify any bugs in these buildings.

Part of the problem with buildings like these is that I can't add yields directly to the building itself, so the info display will never show any bonuses, although the city itself gains the bonus yields through dummy buildings.

At some point I'd like to learn to use MCIS so I can at least have icons in the city display showing the bonus yields...
I've made the UAV more of a direct follow-on to the ranged line, so I'm not sure about this, although the UAV does have some recon-like elements. When I revisit untis in the future I made add more of a recon line in that the Scout line may upgrade to.

Oh, right. Having a building change the yields of resources is easy, but there's no precedent for changing the yield of improvements with buildings. Forgot about that. Guess I'm stumped there then. Especially considering that having the building dabble with improvement happiness might need some extensive Lua modding...

For the latter... that's not my own suggestion, ehh. Personally, I'm already using a different mod that upgrades the Scout to a better recon unit with Rifling, so that might make the two mods conflict. Going from Scout directly to UAV seems a steep change anyway. I'd vote against it. Rather, give the UAV more scout-like properties, by raising its movement to 3 and having the movement be unaffected by terrain much like Scouts do(and give the new changes to its upgrade unit, Biodrone, as well).

One extra note: the UAV seems to be lacking text files for its descriptions in the Civilopedia. Just a heads-up on that. :)

Cities can only work 3 tiles out from the city tile. They can claim tiles out to a range of 5 tiles via culture-expansion, but they cannot work them.

As I recall it requires a dll to allow cities to work tiles beyond the 3-tile range, but I'd actually have to find the thread where William Howard discussed this issue in order to confirm. Unfortunately as I also recall it was not a thread started by William, so you cannot use the easier forum-search method of looking for threads started by whoward69.

Cities can only work 3 tiles out from the city tile. They can claim tiles out to a range of 5 tiles via culture-expansion, but they cannot work them.

As I recall it requires a dll to allow cities to work tiles beyond the 3-tile range, but I'd actually have to find the thread where William Howard discussed this issue in order to confirm. Unfortunately as I also recall it was not a thread started by William, so you cannot use the easier forum-search method of looking for threads started by whoward69.

This code should make the city distance dynamic, to allow it to work with custom city work ranges:

Code:
-- JFD_IsUsingCPDLL
function JFD_IsUsingCPDLL()
	local cPDLLID = "d1b6328c-ff44-4b0d-aad7-c657f83610cd"
	for _, mod in pairs(Modding.GetActivatedMods()) do
		if (mod.ID == cPDLLID) then
			return true
		end
	end
	return false
end

local isUsingCPDLL = JFD_IsUsingCPDLL()
local iCityRange = 3
if isUsingCPDLL then
	iCityRange = iCityRange + pCity:GetCityWorkingChange()
	print("City Range:", iCityRange)
end

The first block will go at the start of the file, and the second in a :Cities() iteration.

If you want to allow for a custom DLL (mine or the CP), it's much easier than that

Code:
local iCityRange = 3

if (pCity.GetWorkPlotDistance) then
    iCityRange = pCity:GetWorkPlotDistance()
end

If you want to allow for a custom DLL (mine or the CP), it's much easier than that

Code:
local iCityRange = 3

if (pCity.GetWorkPlotDistance) then
    iCityRange = pCity:GetWorkPlotDistance()
end

... that works too!

(Thanks!)

Top Bottom