Prehistoric Era Reborn (20,000BC)

I somehow forgot that finding out these things was most easy when checking for oneself :D

This is what the world comes to when sitting ones lazy arse in front of a PC day and night.

To answer my own question: yes, your mod works flawlessly with Arbogli's "Beyond The Future" mod and with a ton of other mods as well.

Props to you for such a well worked-out mod, Novu

Thanks for the complements but don't let me hog all the credit. I had a lot of fine help and talent bring this thing together.

It is framedarchitecture's code that makes this mod so compatible with other mods.

Little update:

Played a couple of hundred turns and all works flawlessly. Extra buildings and wonders are great and art looks nice as well; except for the "camps" on flints and Obsidian and stuff: they're like mini Barbarian camps. I would have gone for something akin to quarries.

A minor "issue" I have is with City States asking for impossible tasks/quests right from the go, like wanting a trade route 15 turns into the game, or my second city requesting furs 11,000BC.

The fact that your mod works a-okay with Arbogli's "Beyond The Future" mod is, I guess, because the latter doesn't alter the original tech-tree, but in fact replaces it...

*EDIT*

Something that needs checking is the fact that City States also get an extra settler (which hangs around doing nothing) because they can also create a "Chief's Hut" or whatever building it is that gets you a settler early on in the game.

Also, City State borders are expanding way quicker than Civ's cities ("stealing" away valuable tiles when near one of your own cities) and they are spawning more units than they have tiles available, making those city states units swarm the vicinity. This quickley becomes a problem for oneself too, having to get Savages or Autchtones at an unwanted rate.

Barbarian Autochtones and Lions keep popping up everywhere, long after having reached later eras, which means that you don't get the amount of culture you get from Barbarian Warriors or Archers (when adopting the "Honor" policy early on). Granted, Lions give 9 culture points throughout, but the rest of the earlier Barbarians only give 3 culture points and are far more abundant than Lions.

For the above reason I feel the policy tree should also be adapted, with additions specific for the Pre-Historic era. Something like a "Tribal Policy" where you'd be able to add a "Menhir Stone" and/or "Dolmens Hill" and get a Druid/Healer (Adding 1 happiness and/or faith); a "Hunting Trail" which adds a "Tracker Route" making it possible to set up one early trade route with a city state only; a "Mastery Of The Sling" where you'd get plus 1 food; a "Significant Grunt" (first form of language) where you'd get plus 1 culture; "Ancestry Worship" (burning of the dead/burial at sea) which would add an "Ancestor's Totem" and give plus 1 religion...

Just my own thoughts and examples, of course...

Overlooked Novu's latest andwer while editing my former post because I already had three in a row...

Must say that the time-table needs a serious revision for this mod. Am at turn 744 (720AD, playing with 16 Civs and 24 City States at "Marathon" speed on a 180x90 YNAEMP by Gedemon) and -besides me- only one other civ just managed to get out of pre-history and into the "Ancient Era".

Out of the 16 civs, only 5 (myself included) managed to get a second city through the "Chieftain's Hut" addition. All other civs are sitting with one 7-tile city and three to five inhabitants (but with tons of low level armies) with just the "Tree Of Life" and a "Lean-To-Shelter"...

Also only just now encountered my first non-Lion/Autochton barbarian in the form of a Barbarian Caveman, worth 5 culture points.

Looks like this Pre-History will carry on well into the 21st Century at this rate.

City states have grown at a "normal" rate, which means the buggers have territories 2 to 3 times larger than most civs.

All populations (real generated folk, not City Inhabitants) are exponentially too large: Napoleon, for example, has an army of 34 Autochtons and low-level archers for a 7-tile/3-population city. At least, that's what I counted but I found people all over the map; even City States foot-soldiers venture to the other side of the world, continents removed from their home...

An other odd thing that happened was after Pacal defeated Frederick Of Prussia (took two cities) and I in turn defeated Pacal and took over Konigsberg and Potsdam and I resurrected Frederick II by giving back his capital, a Prussian Settler was generated at the hand-over, but just like with City States, that Prussian Settler just hangs around and no second city is started (I even put the settler in a very alluring spot, using IGE, but it just sits there doing nothing)...

Will continue the game and add more findings as I get along.

Must say that the time-table needs a serious revision for this mod. Am at turn 744 (720AD, playing with 16 Civs and 24 City States at "Marathon" speed on a 180x90 YNAEMP by Gedemon) and -besides me- only one other civ just managed to get out of pre-history and into the "Ancient Era".

Out of the 16 civs, only 5 (myself included) managed to get a second city through the "Chieftain's Hut" addition. All other civs are sitting with one 7-tile city and three to five inhabitants (but with tons of low level armies) with just the "Tree Of Life" and a "Lean-To-Shelter"...

Also only just now encountered my first non-Lion/Autochton barbarian in the form of a Barbarian Caveman, worth 5 culture points.

Looks like this Pre-History will carry on well into the 21st Century at this rate.

City states have grown at a "normal" rate, which means the buggers have territories 2 to 3 times larger than most civs.

All populations (real generated folk, not City Inhabitants) are exponentially too large: Napoleon, for example, has an army of 34 Autochtons and low-level archers for a 7-tile/3-population city. At least, that's what I counted but I found people all over the map; even City States foot-soldiers venture to the other side of the world, continents removed from their home...

An other odd thing that happened was after Pacal defeated Frederick Of Prussia (took two cities) and I in turn defeated Pacal and took over Konigsberg and Potsdam and I resurrected Frederick II by giving back his capital, a Prussian Settler was generated at the hand-over, but just like with City States, that Prussian Settler just hangs around and no second city is started (I even put the settler in a very alluring spot, using IGE, but it just sits there doing nothing)...

Will continue the game and add more findings as I get along.

There is obviously something conflicting with your other mods. In I the dozens of tests I have run the AI would always found 2nd, and 3th cities with with the free settlers from Chieftain hut and campfire. Try turning off YNAEMP because Prehistoric era has its' own map scripts and that might be causing some weird bugs. IGE may also not be fully compatible with Prehistoric era. Just let the mod run naturally without editing anything.

By 720AD most civs should be in the medieval era unless they got wiped out by another civ.

There is obviously something conflicting with your other mods. In I the dozens of tests I have run the AI would always found 2nd, and 3th cities with with the free settlers from Chieftain hut and campfire. Try turning off YNAEMP because Prehistoric era has its' own map scripts and that might be causing some weird bugs. IGE may also not be fully compatible with Prehistoric era. Just let the mod run naturally without editing anything.

By 720AD most civs should be in the medieval era unless they got wiped out by another civ.

809 turns in and civs like India are still sitting with just a "Tree Of Life". I don't think it's the IGE as that is not a game-altering mod; the game runs within it instead of the other way around.

I don't like other maps as they're too small. I mean, Africa is only 16 tiles wide in standard world maps, which means one city (at 11 tiles wide) will span almost the entire continent.

Haven't found bigger maps than 180x90 yet, else I'd surely play on those. I feel tiles should be 4 times smaller than they are now. Or a world map should be 720x360 to really have some fun and be able to call your empire an empire...

Sadly, CIV5 gobbles RAM like a camel slurps water, which makes it virtually impossible to go that big.

809 turns in and civs like India are still sitting with just a "Tree Of Life". I don't think it's the IGE as that is not a game-altering mod; the game runs within it instead of the other way around.

I don't like other maps as they're too small. I mean, Africa is only 16 tiles wide in standard world maps, which means one city (at 11 tiles wide) will span almost the entire continent.

Haven't found bigger maps than 180x90 yet, else I'd surely play on those. I feel tiles should be 4 times smaller than they are now. Or a world map should be 720x360 to really have some fun and be able to call your empire an empire...

Sadly, CIV5 gobbles RAM like a camel slurps water, which makes it virtually impossible to go that big.

There is some type of bug there but I don't know how to fix it because I can't reproduce it.

I strongly recommend just turning off IGE.

If you need a BIG map try this one. I have used it before and I know it works with Pre-historic era Reborn.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198241516

There is some type of bug there but I don't know how to fix it because I can't reproduce it.

I strongly recommend just turning off IGE.

If you need a BIG map try this one. I have used it before and I know it works with Pre-historic era Reborn.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=198241516

Thanks for the link.

Pedro (Brazil) finally got out of pre-history at turn 839 (1195AD) :lol:

May I also be so bold as to suggest you make it so that "Flint" outposts would be changed into quarries once construction is researched and "Berries" outposts could be turned into plantations once calendar is researched. Obsidian should get turned into mines once a civ is able to do so.

As it is now, "Obsidian" gets a suggestion to turn into a regular farm without the original resource getting lost, which is strange as -just like flint- Obsidian is a volcanic residue (glass) which is hardly something you'd farm.

There's also no difference in yield between a banana "foraging" tile and a regular plantation (both spawn 5 food) although (in marathon) it takes only 13 turns for a foraging tile and 23 for a plantation

I also have always found it odd -nothing to do with your mod, mind- that the "Compass" tech is situated in the "medieval" era, while the bugger was invented in China in approx 200BC and the "Navigation" tech is in the renaissance era (14 to 1600AD or 15th to 17th century) while the ship's chronometer dates from around 1750 and a sextant from around 1730, both 18th century...

Looks like that huge map was the culprit for somehow stalling progress. Started a new game on the "Legendary Earth Map" (though with just 12 civs and 20 City States as opposed to 16 & 24 earlier, because of the smaller map size) and progress seems to advance at a normal rate.

Playing at "Marathon" setting (with a "Belgium" mod) and am 135 turns in (13,250 BC) and most civs have the "Tree Of Life" and a "Leaning Hut" thing. Seen that the turns for spawning a new citizen is also fairly normal at between 25 and 80 turns (the latter for Augustus Caesar who sat his Empirial Arse in the middle of nowhere on the East coast of Africa, merrily staring across desert tiles: I better keep an eye on neighbouring City States).

In the earlier game, every civ had either a green "-" or something high in the 200s for turns til a new citizen was born. Same for production turns.

I guess that the fact that this huge "Yet Not Another Earth Maps Pack" map has no "Ancient Ruins" nor "Natural Wonders" screwed-up your mod...

I just played a 530turn marathon game. Huge, Doughnut, Immortal.

India was the first to ancient era on turn 517 year 820BC.
England was the second to ancient era on turn 521 year 790BC.

I am lagging behind a bit but will enter the ancient era around turn 560 or so. All civs used their settlers to found cities as expected.

Also uploaded a new version (v19) that removed flint and obsidian farms and added quarries instead.
- NEW process gather FOOD
- NEW building copper tools available at copper forging.

Thanks for detailed feedback.

Thank you for the mod Novu.

As far as I understand there is limit for unit amount.
How many units can I train without any fee?
If this depends on config I especially interest for huge, marathon, immortal one.

Thank you for the mod Novu.

As far as I understand there is limit for unit amount.
How many units can I train without any fee?
If this depends on config I especially interest for huge, marathon, immortal one.

As part of the economic rebalancing all the Prehistoric era units are No maintenance fee. This was done to prevent AI controlled civs from going bankrupt.

The total amount of units your civilization can support without production and combat penalties is dependent on the population of your civilization. The more citizens you have the more units you can support. The game will let you know if you are over the supported limit with a RED exclamation mark.

Seems the Tribe's Campfire is overpowered. On marathon +35 gpt means you're rich forever, buy anything, gift any CS you know. On 400-500 turns I have ~10000 gold with nothing to spend on.

Seems the Tribe's Campfire is overpowered. On marathon +35 gpt means you're rich forever, buy anything, gift any CS you know. On 400-500 turns I have ~10000 gold with nothing to spend on.

The extra gold is to prevent the AI civs from bankrupting themselves. The AI will build too many units and go bankrupt without it.

Hey! I just wanted to say before hand that I love your mod! I always have it in my games, but.......

I just encountered a research problem. After I research the last of the Ancient Era, I can't research anymore. The only not red highlighted research is diplomacy and that's grayed out meaning cannot research. All of the rest after Ancient Era are highlighted red with a lock icon right next to it. Is it cause I started out with Simba, who is meant to be played without any era adding mods? I can't end the turn without researching something!

What it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/a3UaraL.jpg

Hey! I just wanted to say before hand that I love your mod! I always have it in my games, but.......

I just encountered a research problem. After I research the last of the Ancient Era, I can't research anymore. The only not red highlighted research is diplomacy and that's grayed out meaning cannot research. All of the rest after Ancient Era are highlighted red with a lock icon right next to it. Is it cause I started out with Simba, who is meant to be played without any era adding mods? I can't end the turn without researching something!

What it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/a3UaraL.jpg

There is no "diplomacy" technology in the Prehistoric era tech tree. The prehistoric era is incompatible with other mods that alter the tech tree. Whatever mod is adding diplomacy to the tech tree is causing your error.

Top Bottom