The Enlightenment Era

Read through both, and they seem to go really well together with an Enlightenment Age mod.

It's too bad revolutions or independence can't work, ah well. It was worth a suggestion.

Incidentally, are there any screencaps of this mod in beta to share?

One more thing: If I'm playing this with RED or a similar mod, I'd like to see the new units get appropriate ethnic skins too (like Russians get their napoleonic line inf in green uniforms, Germans in Prussian blue, etc). Has that been added to this mod as well?

Fair enough. Maybe it's something you can consult with Nutty or Gedemon about, or I can message either of them with the idea. Just to complete the immersion.

Also, I know it might be too late to implement, but I do have a couple of ideas for wonders:

Independence Hall for the Americans

Winter Palace for the Russians

Hofburg Palace for Austria

Windsor Castle for England

Lazienki Park/Belweder Palace/Presidential Palace for Polands?

...which is way too much if you're wanting this to be released in the next ten years

I mean, for all we know, that could be the current release schedule... :D

Also, what's the situation between ExCE and EE's Smithsonian? I presume EE is going ahead as planned, while JFD is still trying to figure out how to work out Tribes?

Adding models and references to RED (or Ethnic Units) is currently out of the scope of this mod. Help with creating an addon would likely be appreciated,
Pretty much what Jan said.
It'd be quite easy (assuming appropriate models exist). Happy to help. What's the full list of units?
EDIT: Never mind, saw the link to the manual.

Sorry for the lack of updates - been busy actually working on the mod for once. There's been a few changes with everything, we've introduced the Ship of the Line as a new generic unit (to be replaced by the First Rate as England's UU) and have made a fair few changes elsewhere. Beyond that, I've spent the past week or so testing and bugfixing the mod with the help of JFD and Janboruta, to the point that I think we've got most of them and we should be hopefully near release.

Community Patch should work with it no problem. At least I did not have problems when testing EE with it.

The Balance Patch is another story - I don't use it (too many changes), so couldn't test it - and that will need to be patched for compatibility.

CBP probably works better without EE support anyway, as the CBP is quite inclusively designed. It would be a balancing nightmare for Pope Gazebo, not to mention compatibility nightmare for HC and others.

“By doubting we come to enquiry, and through enquiry we perceive the truth.” - Pierre Abélard

Direct Download | Steam Workshop

The Enlightenment Era, The Century of Lights, The Age of Reason. Those are but a few names people have dubbed the Eighteenth Century, one hundred years that pushed the world into the direction of scientific and social progress. Propelled by philosophers, scientists, explorers and politicians alike, the Enlightenment Era transformed the face of Europe and the Americas, and the mindset of their inhabitants likewise. Originating from the grand humanist ideas of the Renaissance, the principles of Enlightenment shifted man’s attention from the divine to the profane, from the Heavens to the Earth, from faith to science. Whilst earlier eras of history saw - on occasion - matching levels of freedom or progress, the Age of Reason pushed the boundaries of human curiosity, research and exploration much further ahead. The ideas of personal liberty, secular politics and scientific method - those were the concepts that defined the epoch. Concepts that found their greatest achievement in the creation of the United States of America, and their biggest caricature in the self-destructing bloodshed of the French Revolution.
Whilst marked by near-constant war, social upheaval and the crumbling of absolute monarchies of old, the Enlightenment Era paved the way for the Industrial Revolution with its intrepid pursuit of science and the perceived expansion of the human mind. Just as the Industrial Revolution sped the world up, this prior epoch first turned the world around.

What's included:
  • Completely new Enlightenment era
  • 11 New Technologies
  • 11 New Units
  • 12 New Buildings
  • 9 New Wonders
  • New extension of scouting unit line
  • Fully voiced era, tech, and wonder quotes

What now?
Now that the mod is released, we need bug reports on anything which isn't correct so that we can fix it. There were a lot of changes in the final days prior to release, so it is likely that some may not have been updated in all places. We also need feedback on the pacing of the era, so that it is in line with Vanilla and doesn't pass by too quickly (or too slowly)

More Information:
Tech Tree | Manual
Screenshot Album

Credits:
Please note that this only includes direct contributors. Many additional people have helped, either in part or through providing unit models which have since been used. The list will be updated as more information on that regard becomes available
Andrew Holt - Quote voiceovers
COF - Pedias
Janboruta - Art, Design
JFD - Code, Pedias, Design
Pouakai - Code and Compilation, Design, Pedias
Proffy - Pedias
Reedstilt - Pedias, Design
Regalman - Pedias
Sukritact - Art, Design
Superwaffle - Pedias, Text
TheeeSpacePope - Art
Tomatekh - Pedias
Viregel - Pedias

Holy s.... More hundred hours of playing civ... Congratulations for all your hard work!

The Manor just hurts my sensibilities. But great work Jan and Sukritact on the art! I don't know if it's been made clear, but Jan actually worked on the splash screens to this, and his efforts culminated in some of his finests pieces to date, IMO.

The Manor just hurts my sensibilities.

Art-wise? I could always do another icon when time permits, thus liberating the vanilla asset for another French civ (Henry IV? :p).

But great work Jan and Sukritact on the art! I don't know if it's been made clear, but Jan actually worked on the splash screens to this,

Sukritact also made the Kronborg splash screen if I recall correctly, and it is mighty fine!

Top Bottom