CDG Series Discussion Thread

I very much appreciate the discussion and comparisons too. But I never see that happen with the off-series maps? Am I missing something?

I can post map after I finish current Korea GOTM (about one week).

It will be Austria science victory game on great map with obvious main achievement to win game <200t :).
Map will be very strong but not modified in IGE (I really don't like this kind of maps, so I dedicate myself and will roll ~50 times to get it ;))

I chose Austria because it has strong, still mostly unknown potential for quite easy adding mid and late game science, so it could be interesting.

The expectations are pretty high. If you share a map, it should probably have some compelling angle to. You might thing people would grateful for anything, but I know I want a curated map that is significantly more interesting than what I can expect to roll for myself.

Consentient did not like my Byzantium map. I could post that one, or let ST decide. Something might be better than nothing, but on the other hand, I think I have been disappointed with every shared map outside of the GoTM/DCL/CDG series.

Since Consentient rage quit on us after posting the zulu map, I say post your byzmap anyway. Maybe after Ironfighter's though, his sounds awesome. I love Austria science games, being able to buy city states for 3-4 turns of industrial-era gold is just amazing. It's the only good use for faith, military, and maritime CS's as far as I am concerned in the late game lol.

I hope he comes back again, I liked his ideas for maps and am looking forward to going back and beating that darn Assyria map once my computer is fixed. Still, we have seen enough to know what people want, just some maps that challenge players who have gotten so good they need to play games with only scouts or spread religions everywhere etc. etc. etc. etc.

I wish I could do more to help with this, but with no computer at home I am sunk. Its been almost a month now, I really have no excuse. But anyways, once I'm back in action I'll be building maps too. One day.

So IronF will post the CDG #8 savefile around 15-17th and the proposed achis some 48h before that in whatever manner he prefers or is agreed before that.

Any takers for #9?

In regards to the CDG #7 Donut map - I was setting up a Ring map for the Immortal Alphabetical Game series (similar shape), and for a DomV I thought it would be clever to have an Achievement in which whatever direction you started conquering, you had to continue in that direction, sort of a one-front war, with only defense on the rest of the map... I mothballed it as we have had nothing but DomV for a while, but it may be a useful concept sometime for either series.

Like Blatc&#8217;s map, my Byzantium one is on the easier side of things too, but mine could be #10.

Another type of achievement could be to lead some demographics statistic by a certain turn or the turn of victory. It's pretty easy to tie those to some civs' attributes, e.g. have most land as Shoshone, top literacy as Babylon by T100, top production as Russia, largest army as Germany by some early turn number, happiness as India etc.

Ok, so Blatc takes #9 around March 1 and Beetle #10 ~15th and proposed achis will be presented in some form a couple of days earlier unless ST has already something set up which contradicts this.

Well I don't know who is in charge, really...Maybe no one?

The Community in general but ST has been the acting host in the absence of Consentient so he could be said being in charge.

I posted the map because I thought no one else would. I don't know what achievements to make. I played a few of the previus games but am not sure about them.

While the enthusiasm is welcomed people being in different TZs thing rarely happen within few hours hence give the process some time. Now, the map is available but since there're no achis there's also no point of starting to play it as a CDG. It's just a shared map.

We could make the object to win by Culutral victory and:

1. Points per wonder
2. Points according to final tourism
3. Points according to winning turn
4. Points according to winning World's Fair and/or International Games

stuff like that...

So this is the starting point.

VC = Culture

Achievements:

A - points per WW // self built or captured? Max points ?
B - final Tourism // scale
C - winning turn // scale and this is also contradictory to B
D - WF & IG // simple enough, 1 point each for each win?
E - // ?

---------------
Another type of achievement could be to lead some demographics statistic by a certain turn or the turn of victory. It's pretty easy to tie those to some civs' attributes, e.g. have most land as Shoshone, top literacy as Babylon by T100, top production as Russia, largest army as Germany by some early turn number, happiness as India etc.

Doesn't logically quite fit on this post but as I agree with the general sentiment it deserves to be quoted & seconded. The purpose of the achis was to get people off beaten tracks to spice things up - the simple win by Txxx without anything extra just doesn't cut it as the purpose of the game in general is to win as quickly as possible.

#7 Shoshone
enslingkorp
-achievements needed

#8 Austria, Science
IronF
-proposed achievements (posted in this thread) Feb 13-14
-post map (stand-alone thread) Feb 15-17

#9 Brazil, Culture
blatc
-proposed achievements Feb 27-28
-post map ~March 1

#10 Byzantium, ?
Beetle
-proposed achievements March 13-14
-post map ~March 15

That covers things for a while.
Please note if map was altered or not in OP. Mine won't be (as I don't know how and am okay with that).
Keep the achievements conducive to the UA/UU/UB of the civ.

Achievements for Shoshone

A - 1 point for a World Wonder, 1 additional point if it stores Great Works
B - Final tourism: 300-600 - 1 pt; 600-900 - 2 pts; 900-1200 - 3 pts; 1200+ 5 pts
C - Winning turn: <200 - 5 pts; 201-230 - 4 pts; 231-260 - 3 pts; 261-280 - 2pts; 281+ - 1 pt
D - 2 pts for each win of WF and IG
E - I don't know. Could use some suggestions... :S Maybe something to do with Shoshone UA? Forward settle thecompuer player and take something in their 3rd ring? :D

#10 Byzantium, ?
Beetle
-proposed achievements March 13-14
-post map ~March 15
Sounds good. My most recent thoughts for achievements are in post 9 of this thread. Further input welcome, but can wait a few weeks too!
Adjusting the schedule for the weekend, I will aim to post a new thread with screen shot and achievements probably Friday evening 3/11 (U.S. Eastern time). After at least 24 hours for clarification of achievements, but within 48 hours, I will add the file to OP.
Designated VC is anything-but-SV. Map is not altered, continents (results from TI script).

Keep the achievements conducive to the UA/UU/UB of the civ.
Yes please, speaking of which, I think having 5+ of the UU and wreaking havoc with them should always be good for an achievement point or two. I was disappointed with the Assyrian CDG in that we didn't have the better players seeing what they could do with Siege Towers.

Achievements for Shoshone

A - 1 point for a World Wonder, 1 additional point if it stores Great Works

That doesn't work without some downscaling. To keep the max points per game around 20 achis giving more than 5 need to require something exceptional and getting 6(+) WWs isn't anything of the sort. Half a point per WW having a slot and nothing or 0.25 for others total capped at 5 or something along those lines.

E - I don't know. Could use some suggestions... :S Maybe something to do with Shoshone UA? Forward settle thecompuer player and take something in their 3rd ring? :D

That could be an interesting one. It has to be an early expo though, otherwise you could just settle 1 turn before victory and it'd have no effect on the game whatsoever. Maybe reword it to something like "Settle your first expansion 4 tiles away from an AI city?"

It will be Austria science victory game on great map with obvious main achievement to win game <200t :).

Mr Negativity strikes again but I just don't like this. If the main achi is a pre T200 win what will that leave for the others? Either they will happen while pursuing the A or will be more or less serious derails from A which on itself is reasonably tricky depending on the excellence of the map. On the other hand any map where pre T200 SciV is a reasonable expectation is also a map where a win is guaranteed before starting so what's the point of playing?

On the other hand any map where pre T200 is a reasonable expectation is also a map where a win is guaranteed before starting so what's the point of playing?
I cannot really imagine how a T200 SV would work even in theory. I guess I should scan the HOF? But did you not play and enjoy the Zulu CDG map? You make a fair point about lack of time to get other achievements before T200!

One crucial acronym missing from my earlier post - I meant sub T200 SV not just any VC.

Yeah, I started the Zulu game but around the time of founding a religion I started wondering what sort of cool stuff I could do and still manage the sub T200 Dom and I also somewhat ran out of time to play so that game is idling. Zulu sub T200 dom while doing all sorts of weird other things is a reasonable expectation on any sort of map so I have no problems with that.

For achievements, I'll suggest as guidelines for future maps:

Point total of around 20, let's call it 15-25 for a generous range

Individual achievements break down as:
1 point - very easy
2 points - easy
3 points - moderate challenge
4 points - difficult to achieve
5 points - very difficult
6 points - insanely difficult

Items with 1+ points per could be capped at ~5. For example, a suggestion I presented to Consentient previously was the achievement of an AI building wonders related to that civ (America). This could also be built around a theme, for example wonders from the same Era, wonders that are Coastal, or wonders that produce GE points. Anyway, let's say there are 6 such wonders, you could give 1 point per but cap the total points at 5 if you believe the achievement of 5+ to be very difficult, but not insanely difficult. Similarly, if a civ themes well with a certain kind of wonder and you feel that building 3 or 4 of them is a moderate to difficult challenge, then put the cap at 3 or 4.

Personally, I'd suggest leaving 6 points to rare occasions, but I realize some posters may want that level of challenge and if they're willing to put together a map, so be it.

Also, we probably don't need to worry as much about the maps being easy/medium/hard as the achievements make the game easy/medium/hard. Personally, I'd prefer we use 'good' maps (as I think we have been so far) so that we can have fun with themed games built around the UU/UA/UB and achievements, which may not be possible with a terrible start.

Top Bottom