The Immortal Alphabetical Game #20 - Harald Bluetooth

Welcome to The Immortal Alphabetical Game #20 - Hark The Harald Axes Sing!

This game uses the NQ Mod... You may need the Hellblazer NQMap Installer as well, on the same page.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1me025Vepd3qXN5QqQtqakPUuSfQmk8D5Jv15SZp9ly8/edit?pref=2&pli=1

The NQ Mod gives Harald the Longship (in place of Norwegian Ski Infantry), which is an upgraded Trireme that has 6 movement instead of 4. In the NQ Mod, Melee ships can move after attacking, but in my test game the Longship didn't (but Caravels, etc. did).

The NQ Mod changes most of the Policy trees (less so for Tradition and Liberty, Rationalism is very back-loaded, etc.), and some prerequisites are different (such as ToA requiring Honor, but not SoZ). You can really have strong games with any of the 4 opening trees. Exploration is fantastic on a watery map. The Pantheons are far better, there are two for Fishing Boats, and Fishing Boats are much easier to build. -- Also, keep in mind Iron is revealed at Mining!

Map type and settings:
Spoiler :
Continents. Lots of beach-front property for Berserkers to dip in and out of!
Achievements:
Spoiler :
The Achievements focus on military conquest, or by acting as world policeman. They raise the difficulty level, as several "exploits" are not allowed:

50 points - No War Bribes - you cannot deflect trouble by directing it somewhere else. There is plenty of animosity on the map anyway.

50 points - No bizarre trade deals before DOW - You know what this means! You can only make trades you would do were they to be lasting, no trading for gold then DOWing, etc.

5 points - Genocide - Remove any civ from the game (once per civ only).

2 points - UU city capture - Any city you capture with either a Longship or Berserker earns points (one time per city only - UU must not be upgraded).

3 points - Non-Genocide Liberation - Any AI city or CS (once per city/CS), must not have eliminated any civs yourself. Can Liberate through peace deals. Stacks with UU city capture if you do not keep any capitals!

5 points - Diplomatic Doctor Frankenstein - Recall to Life any civ (once per civ) and win without keeping any capitals on the other continent (makes Dom-assisted CV harder).
Starting location:
Spoiler :
I have added a non-NQ version of the map. It contains the same civs, but other than Harald, the AI and CS starts are different, and there are no goodie huts.

Attachments

• Harald1.jpg
    Harald1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,892
  • IAG-20_Harald_Start.jpg
    IAG-20_Harald_Start.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 962
  • IAG-20_Harald_Bluetooth_START.Civ5Save
    522.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IAG-20_Harald_Bluetooth_No-NQ.Civ5Save
    530.7 KB · Views: 254
I added a non-NQ start. It makes for a much harder game, although due to a glitch in my map editing, you get something free nearby. Obviously the Longship is gone...

T108, already took out one civ who had built 3 wonders. The idiot completed one the turn I took out his cap. Why thank you there little buddy.

t259 domination win, 197 points. ( if I counted right ).

Score:
Spoiler :
50 - No war bribes
50 - No weird deals
T108- killed Morroco. +5. Took city with berserker +2
t130ish - killed polynesia. +5. took 2 cities, +4
t180 - killed japan. +5, 2 cities, +4
t215- killed monty. +5, 2 cities, +4
t 253- killed sejong. +5, 7 cities +14
t254- killed shaka. +5, 13 cities, +26
t259-killed songhai. +5, 2 cities, +4

Forgot, I also took 2 city-states. +4

total

pic:
Spoiler :

Talking for no reason:
Spoiler :
I never play domination, too long, but this was easy enough. I was wondering all game long why the hell everyone was so far behind and I find the other continent with shaka and montezuma lol. That explains that, while I was busy cleaning my continent, they were busy going irrelevant on theirs.
I did take a lot of cities in peace deals so that deflated my score. I was just getting too damn tired lol. I had to wait 3 turns extra at the end for my peace deal to end with Songhai. I took every city with berserkers, it was good times.

it's been a while so I might jump back into this a bit, I might use the Berserkers relentlessly like Danes did and then be friends with whoever's left, like Danes do now because I kind of hate myself for not going to Denmark on holiday 2 weeks ago

well after failing miserably, I can definitely say

Spoiler :

go two city Tradition or two city Honor

Write up and point tally to follow

start:
Spoiler :

Opened a two city Tradition, settled the LV spot to the NE of start, as seen in pic 1. I wanted my capital to be a bit potent to be able to kick out Berserks in 3-4 turns so I kind of ignored military and built stuff up. Managed to land Oracle which I used to finish Tradition and then had HC around T85-90 something like that. By then I have had about 6-7 CBs, a few Cats and around half a dozen Berserks, some were upgraded Warriors, some upgraded Swords. I hit MC around T100 which meant a rather late Education.

mid:
Spoiler :

Using Longboats, I was able to move my units from start to Japan fairly easily, I used the UA to my advantage a fair bit since the shores were undefended, Japanese cap was easily taken which was the ONLY unhappiness moment in the entire game. Towards the end, Kyoto had insane production. At the same time, I was developing Patronage and money was starting to pile up so I started seizing city states, the ones in strategic locations were the priority while Berserks would take down Monty's cap in a full out Berserk attack. CBs/XBs would have worked much better but I didn't have enough of them to be super effective so I used them as support. I had XBs around T125 and by then I cleared out Monty. The city shuffled ownership a few times so I got it at 1 pop in the end. I decided to make one final use of Berserks to finish off Japan because Korea, the last guy on the continent, started pulling away and I wouldn't be able to get to them with my current roster.

The longboat bug hasn't been fixed yet, so it was a bit of a faff to work around it. To clarify, In NQ mod, all melee boats get to move after attacking, but that doesn't work with the Longboat and since it was rather weak against cities, I used them for transport purposes.

late:
Spoiler :

Korea and Songhai (who seized the other continent, wiping off Morocco and Hawaii) double DoWed me around turn 180, which was before I had Dynamite since I prioritized Schools and World Fair (which I won y a landslide). All the spare gold was sunk in city state alliance and in NQ mod, they are WELL WORTH it. In fact, Patronage is the strongest tree in NQ, like I said multiple times. The war with Korea was a stalemate until I got the Cavalry and Dynamites rolling, but he got Dynamite as well so technically he could pick off my Artillery which he did. However, Cavalry are quite good in the Industrial era conquest so with the aid of gold bought Cavs and Songhai spreading their faith-for-units religion to my expo, I was able to get reinforcements quickly. Once I captured (and razed) the port of Daegu, Korea fell like a house of cards.

finish:
Spoiler :

Realizing there were only 3 major civs left, me, Songhai and Zulu, I could jump straight ahead to Radar and trigger United Nations. But I would need more votes, so I moved my Battleships out and liberated Hawaii and a city state to the SW of the other continent. I wanted to liberate Morocco but there wasn't enough time. I secured all city states and won with 49 votes while only needing 39, thanks to World Religion, World Ideology, Consulates and Hawaii voting for me :)

50 points - No War Bribes - I was at one point close to doing it because I forgot, but thankfully I remembered and saved face :p

50 points - No bizarre trade deals before DOW - No man, Harry has honour :)

5 points - Genocide - Remove any civ from the game (once per civ only). - Removed Japan, Aztecs and Korea, so 15

2 points - UU city capture - Any city you capture with either a Longship or Berserker earns points (one time per city only - UU must not be upgraded). - I managed to cap 6 cities before going obsolete, 12

3 points - Non-Genocide Liberation - nope

5 points - Diplomatic Doctor Frankenstein - Liberated Hawaii and one city state from Songhai, is that 10?

Total tally: 137 or if city state liberation doesn't count 132

@pox: I counted 190-something for you, are you sure you got that right?

Attachments

• dane1.jpg
    dane1.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 271
  • dane2.jpg
    dane2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 239
  • dane3.jpg
    dane3.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 249
  • dane4.jpg
    dane4.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 276
  • dane5.jpg
    dane5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 253
Write up and point tally to follow

@pox: I counted 190-something for you, are you sure you got that right?

Probably let's see

100 for no bribes / deals
35 for wiping out all 7 civs
62 for taking 31 cities with berserkers

So that's 197 yes you're right.
derps

Unmodded t294 SV, 123 pts
Spoiler :
I'm playing the NQ game on my tower, so I fired up the unmodded game on my laptop. What a difference! (Worse) Korea started on the other continent, and appears to have been peaceful with Askia all game, so he was 10-15% ahead on science for a long time. Once I finished punishing Oda with Frigates, Korea had BBs, yikes! Monte and Shaka appeared to have perpetual war, but Monte kept his 2 cities, but was going to lose them once Korea finally jumped in. Korea even gave me the Backed By Nuclear Weapons speech, which I haven't seen in years.

On my continent, Oda had the GW and had no problem at all just steamrolling Captain Underpants and Mor. I bid my time with a Tradition start, got a Worker and Settler from Mor, then Oda DOW'd with Samurai and it was a pretty long war. I didn't keep close track of UU captures as I didn't think I'd finish this version. I Liberated 3/5 Mor and Poly cities except let Oda have Honolulu, kept Marrakech, Kyoto, and Tokyo (S port city). Big mistake leaving Oda with 5 cities, but I was trying to not trigger warmonger hate. He slowly built up and eliminated Underpants and Mor again :lol: and I just didn't feel like another long war. I maintained pretty good relations overseas until Ideologies really kicked in, even with 2 enemy capitals.

I considered following Korea into Order, for the production boosts, etc, and to keep the long DOF going. I went Freedom, and it got pretty ugly near the end. I overshot tech a bit - could have had a DV quite a bit earlier, and a CV was inevitable.

Kind of fun to play my old Wide Tradition style again with 9 cities. I never fell below 20 happy mid-game and 40 late game, I just pounded out wonders like crazy throughout the game (18, plus 4 captured). I even got Notre Dame, which I never get, as I am always on the top tiers more.

I must admit, I rather enjoy playing with the first two rules - definitely makes dealing with warmongers and runaways much more difficult! Letting Oda off easy made me have 5 fronts to defend - not exactly smooth play. :rolleyes:

Achievements:

No War Bribes or Trade Crapola - 100 pts

UU city capture - 4 pts?

Non-Genocide Liberation - 9 pts (2 Poly and 1 Mor city)

Diplomatic Doctor Frankenstein - 10 pts (Underpants and Mor)
Spoiler :

fair enough, but I had to liberate a CS for UN votes regardless so it wasn't in vain :D

i killed everyone on my continent before any of the others found us. after compass, this meant 4 cargoe boats to the capital, what already had good production. now its a super capital. Tah Mahajl in 6 turns.

logical win will be diplomacy. how quick can i do it? is the new questione

i missed the first vote timing by 2 turns - need to work out how to coiniceide/syncronise this better. had to wait for the next onw, so won on turn 239 with diplomacy. i had science over 2000 which was nice.

i killed everyone on my continent before any of the others found us. after compass, this meant 4 cargoe boats to the capital, what already had good production. now its a super capital. Tah Mahajl in 6 turns.

logical win will be diplomacy. how quick can i do it? is the new questione

impossible to do on the NQ version because
Spoiler :
Hawaii are on the other continent and will find you after 50 turns no matter what

impossible to do on the NQ version because
Spoiler :
Hawaii are on the other continent and will find you after 50 turns no matter what

Spoiler :
Theyre on the starting continent on the normal map so first priority is to kill them. Its lucky that the others want to make friends!

Top Bottom