Bug reports

Could you turn the python exceptions on?
How:
Go to your CivilizationIV.ini (My Documents\My Games\BtS), open the .ini with a texteditor (notepad, wordpad), and change

PHP:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

to 0.

Could you turn the python exceptions on?
How:
Go to your CivilizationIV.ini (My Documents\My Games\BtS), open the .ini with a texteditor (notepad, wordpad), and change

PHP:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

to 0.

He has enabled python logging and posted the log. Enabling popups will display the same information we already have, as a popup. The problem is coming from some BUG font problem. The BUG team has not responded to my request for help. I would love it if we could find some difference between Arafel's setup and the setup of other players who are able to get this mod to work. It is painful to lose potential players due to BUG setup problems.

I have also looked into your log files, and it does not seem that the location of the install directory is the problem. The key logfile is PythonErr.log. It shows the following error: [...] I have asked over on the BUG forum if they understand why this is happening.

On that forum, the suggestion was, delete the mod installation and reinstall it. This is general advice, but I suppose it can't hurt. Does that help?

Reinstallation done : it's working !!! :goodjob: (that's odd because I've already done it, I don't know what went wrong).

Thanks very much !

hi guys, i have a big problem, i see no fonts and "he" says there are missig xml links. here two pictures .. oh i forgot, im german but i've installed Beyond the Sword on english and on german .. same error :(

Attachments

• menu.jpg
    menu.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ingame.jpg
    ingame.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 84
That may be the right workaround. However, what should we do as mod developers, in order to make sure that the mod plays in other languages?

For example, all of the text strings like TXT_KEY_whatever are already available in all languages in DuneWarsText.xml. We did not translate them, just copied them. But the game cannot be failing because these strings are missing. What would make it fail?

Maybe you've missed one TXT_KEY_.
Is sounds ridiculous, but one missing text reference can let the whole text disappear.

I can guarantee that every DuneWarsText.xml string is available in all five languages. That is because I actually edit DuneWarsText.txt and then use a script to clone the <English>...</English> text to the other languages.

Of course the DW assets/xml/text directory contains dozens of files from all the different modcomps that were stirred together to create DW 1.0. It is possible that one of the other files is missing some translation tags. There are probably hundreds of keys in there, written all by different people.

I guess I will enhance civcheck to check for this, and see if that finds anything.

Is there anything else that may cause this behavior, besides a missing translation TXT_KEY?

@ thevanir, I found several TXT_KEY_... without translations, but none of these TXT_KEY are even used in the game anymore. If you are interested, could you try this experiment? Download the attached zip file, which contains four xml files. Unzip it into <your BTS directory>/Mods/Dune Wars/assets/xml/text. It will overwrite four files which are there. The old files had TXT_KEY without translation, the new files are basically just empty.

Does that solve your problem?

I will include these files into the next release of DW anyway, but it would help if you confirm this solves the problem.

Attachments

• text.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 67
First of all, very nice mod. Here are some comments after my first game (still ongoing, not sure I'll finish) with my favorite character in the movie, Leto II.
I'm wondering why I haven't won by Terraforming after building 8 of those Liet thingees. When I click on the fist, the only option seems to be by land or population, and no mention of cultural or terraforming victory.
The resolutions still say "United Nations."
Also, health buildings are a waste. Maybe give them some water benefit for them to be useful?
The AI does not seem to grasp the importance of unloading their troops once their transports have passed through impassable terrain. I killed them easily with outdated troops.
Later religions are almost useless (I founded Technocracy).
The equivalent wonder for Hanging Gardens should be enabled earlier, because if you build it late you'll actually lose the extra population from starvation. The Spiral Minaret is way too early and overpowered (I had a tech advantage from early game).

I'm wondering why I haven't won by Terraforming after building 8 of those Liet thingees. When I click on the fist, the only option seems to be by land or population, and no mention of cultural or terraforming victory.

The Mastery victory option (which can't be reached anymore) currently blocks all the others from functioning. This will get fixed at some point, but for now just uncheck the Mastery option when starting a game.

Yes, we haven't really started working on the Landsraad yet.
Also, health buildings are a waste. Maybe give them some water benefit for them to be useful?

Really? I find it depends what difficulty level you are playing on. On higher difficulty levels (Emperor, etc) you have a lot of unhealth.
The AI does not seem to grasp the importance of unloading their troops once their transports have passed through impassable terrain. I killed them easily with outdated troops.

Yes, the AI needs to unload its troops automatically at the end of any turn when it is above land, and then reload them at the start of the next turn if it wants to move on.

Later religions are almost useless (I founded Technocracy).
This is because the religious design hasn't fully been implemented yet.
There will be a number of religious unique buildings, and changes to spread rates, so that early religions are more easily supplanted, and late religions won't be widespread but will give powerful bonuses (a civ with technocracy will get big hammer advantages).
Many religions will also have unique spread mechanics; Imperium will be automatically removed when other religions are spread on top of it, and Quizarate will wipe out *any* other religions present when it expands.

The equivalent wonder for Hanging Gardens should be enabled earlier, because if you build it late you'll actually lose the extra population from starvation. The Spiral Minaret is way too early and overpowered (I had a tech advantage from early game).

We are planning on doing a total Wonder redesign, but don't really have a lot of good ideas yet for Dune-themed wonders.

i had to reinstall the complete game ... i tryed english now and it works. the four files helps a little i could see more of the game but not all. i would thank you all and great mod.

sry for my english :(

ps. the problem could appear cos of a "german community translation mod", that i have installed but forget, that i do that

I have tried to find a lot of these strings and update them. Please see the attached screenshot of the victory conditions screen from the current release, version 1.5.4.

Are there specific strings which I have missed?

Attachments

• vicscreen.gif
    vicscreen.gif
    38.7 KB · Views: 85
It's not the Victory screen, it's the announcement on the regular screen that still says UN.
How do you get a religious victory anyway?

As for the language problem, you just need to select english language in the option menu of the base game, then all the english only mods work when you relaunch the game with a mod turned on. No need to reinstall or to have special files. At least it worked on my french game...

(Very nice and rapidly developped mod, BTW)

It's not the Victory screen, it's the announcement on the regular screen that still says UN.

Thanks, we will search harder for "U.N." and "United Nations" strings in the base help files.

How do you get a religious victory anyway?

As long as you have the mastery victory condition disabled, you can see the details of the victory conditions from the victory screen. (If you have mastery turned on, this screen won't even come up.)

Religious victory requires 100% of all religious influence. That means you have to convert, or probably destroy, all the other religions. Holy War is halfway between religious and domination; you need 50% of religion influence and 50% of land area.

The original mod developer added a number of victory conditions for variety. We will have to either fix or remove mastery for sure. In addition, I am thinking of removing religious and holy war. Religion itself is not that important in Dune, even after we add the religion system described in the religion redesign thread.

Does anybody like the concept of religious and holy war victories in Dune Wars?

Top Bottom