[modmod] Dune Wars Enhanced

It's only the mouseover tooltip description that is hardcoded.

Are you certain? Who would even allow such a thing?

It seems like you are correct and they are hardcoded in CvGameTextMgr.cpp.

Sometimes one can learn to be happy with what one has, though, instead of wanting everything in a silver plate.

Are you really think I am this kind of person ? lol

Maybe you have misunderstanding me. When I play a game, it's all about the immersion. The need of searching information in a patch note don't feel good with immersion. In civilopedia it's better but the pedia isn't really well designed for spying missions : someone who don't know the game can't found easily something in there, about espionage. And I don't care if there is many mod who lack of informations : it is right a civilopedia up to date is in general missing. And it is sad, especially when the work of the mod is brilliant. Yes this work is boring, and we are tired when we have done already huge work. It is details, it is finishing touches, but without it the work isn't finish. (But I can understand you don't want to do it, or you can't, and if I know how do to it myself, surely I'll do it ! ).

I have many friend who have got difficulties to like dunewars because of the complexity of the first game and, in my opinion, the lack of "tutorial" or ingame help. This is the reason why I have wrote strategy guide for each house. This is not because I think those players are too dumb for search by theirself, but because I think the game is fabulous and rich, and some help will make more player able to immerse in it and enjoy. It is also the reason why I have made graphics mod, because the original one seem too disparate for me for maintain the immersion in "Dune"-wars.

And it is sad, especially when the work of the mod is brilliant. Yes this work is boring, and we are tired when we have done already huge work...

Not because it's boring, because I do not know how to do it (btw, don't even hint that I'm lazy to do it). If I did, I wouldn't be getting such comments now - because it would have been done. You basically picked on the only thing I was conscious of leaving in not the best shape. And in the midst of a lot of stuff done (and the testing, by the gods, the testing!), it does piss me off.

I don't know anything of the coding language in the SDK files (it's different there), I don't have the tools to or know how to compile a DLL. So please, ask someone else.
This is not reason enough for me to learn a little C++ and how to compile. It was enough work to learn so much python in just a couple of months.

You can't look at me as a typical "modder" with any kind of responsabilities. This got done for me first, then for a friend of mine that I knew would also enjoy.
The fact that the work got posted is a potential bonus to whoever else can appreciate it. But if a little lack of info or laziness prevents one from getting into this: I really don't care.

It's not like the forum helped me much (I wish it did), and I almost didn't post it because of a nasty PM I received (nevermind that). But I realized that the work is just good enough that eventually there can be different kinds of people that can enjoy it: and that is the only reason that this version is here.

Why not bother the previous developers as well - in the same way? I don't remember people getting annoyed at Chris or Deliverator for not correcting some things (Skunkworks do not really grant 50% discount to upgrades for example...) or for not correcting the Spy "bug", something that probably would take them just a few minutes (I could be wrong): and that was an important gameplay hindrance!

Note, though, that me updating the pedia is me thinking of other players and I did not have to do it.
And again, hitting F12 and checking the pedia for a few seconds doesn't ruin immersion in general, don't give me that. What's the point of the pedia then if not to be used? I'm from the time when many games came with huge manuals, btw (and it was part of the fun), so I have a hard time understanding that complaint.

Finally, I couldn't use your guides because the game is just different enough now.

Finally, I couldn't use your guides because the game is just different enough now.

It's a fact, and I will probably re-write them if my friends wants to plays this enhanced version of dunewars.

You can't look at me as a typical "modder" with any kind of responsabilities. This got done for me first, then for a friend of mine that I knew would also enjoy.
The fact that the work got posted is a potential bonus to whoever else can appreciate it. But if a little lack of info or laziness prevents one from getting into this: I really don't care.

Well, I think you describe exactly what IS the typical modder !

I have ask for the correction of the spy bug in 1.9.7, few days after the release. I haven't ask again after because it is clear there is no more time for modder to do it. They don't have take time to justify it. You do. There is no jugdement in my commentary.

But for the help ingame there is two thing :
- For search in the pedia, you need to know that in this mod the result of many spy mission is the building of some building in ennemies cities. So if you know that, you can search in the buildings in the pedia and maybe found what your search. But if you don't know, you don't even know where you need to search.
- When you use a game or a software you don't have made yourself, you want to found in it as many help to use it without search in manuals, patch notes or else because it's more userfriendly and we are users.

When I say it is not pleasant to play without information in popup espionage windows it is not for criticize you. I just give my opinion. There is no reason to being offend by that, especially if you are conscious of this little flaw. I don't give you any kind of "responsabilities". I just show a lack, and you say you already see it. ok. ^^

Well, I think you describe exactly what IS the typical modder !

A lot of modders do study programming or have a career regarding such. So, it serves them as training and for their CV. It's for their benefit if the mods are as good as possible.

I have ask for the correction of the spy bug in 1.9.7, few days after the release. I haven't ask again after because it is clear there is no more time for modder to do it. They don't have take time to justify it.

I wasn't really criticizing the previous modders, I was asking why didn't some of you have the same attitude towards them. Still, it's funny: why are you justifying them? I strongly doubt that it would take them much time at all correcting that "bug".
Of course, they didn't have to do it. Just like they didn't have to answer a couple of my questions in PM, and so they didn't.

Regarding the info spy thing again: You're at the same level of knowledge as me regarding that. So you yourself could learn and do it. There's no difference whatsoever.
Or maybe ask Keldath. Maybe if you ask him, he might do it (if he knows how) even if it's clear that he gave up on Dune thoughts, at least for now.

When I say it is not pleasant to play without information in popup espionage windows it is not for criticize you.

To avoid misunderstanding, it's probably better, when you make a specific comment to me, to do it in french (just put it in spoilers). Your english can be confusing.

Anyway, my modding phase is over for now. Maybe I'll get back to it in a year or so, who knows.

Merry Christmas:xmastree::xmassign::newyear::snowlaugh:

Great job Horatius, you made me re-install Civ IV after over 2 years (I hugely enjoyed the original version of Dune Mod too).

:xmascheers:

And again, hitting F12 and checking the pedia for a few seconds doesn't ruin immersion in general, don't give me that. What's the point of the pedia then if not to be used? I'm from the time when many games came with huge manuals, btw (and it was part of the fun), so I have a hard time understanding that complaint.

That's the spirit Horatius. I also remember huge manuals. Don't listen to these little kids (or the trolls) who want everything served to them. If they don't enjoy it, they can go else where. The rest of us appreciate your work for what it is!

That's the spirit Horatius. I also remember huge manuals. Don't listen to these little kids (or the trolls) who want everything served to them. If they don't enjoy it, they can go else where. The rest of us appreciate your work for what it is!

Yes, you probably understand what bothered me. The attitude that thinks that one is automatically entitled to the effort of others ticks me off a little.

This is my favourite Civ4 mod along with Master of Mana and I'm extremely pleased to see somebody keep working on it. Thank you for your hard Work and dedication to modding and the World of Dune, Horatius, it is very appreciated.

I do have one question though: IIRC, in the last version of the mod, the Harkonnen spies had the ability to lower the +% defensive strength of enemy cities, similar to the way the Harkonnen took Dune in the original book through treachery. My spies in this version of the mod appear unable to do so. Am I missing something here or is that yet to be implemented?

This is my favourite Civ4 mod along with Master of Mana and I'm extremely pleased to see somebody keep working on it. Thank you for your hard Work and dedication to modding and the World of Dune, Horatius, it is very appreciated.

I do have one question though: IIRC, in the last version of the mod, the Harkonnen spies had the ability to lower the +% defensive strength of enemy cities, similar to the way the Harkonnen took Dune in the original book through treachery. My spies in this version of the mod appear unable to do so. Am I missing something here or is that yet to be implemented?

Thanks for the comment.

I did not change that espionage mission. They are still able to do so. What is probably happening is that you don't have enough espionage points for that mission to show up in mission selection window. To confirm its working properly worldbuild a spymaster and infiltrate the enemy city. You'll now have enough espionage pts for anything and the mission should appear as selectable.

Btw, in this modmod, Hark spies with Treachey IV will actually slightly lower city defenses as passive effect simply by standing near the enemy city! With enough spies with that promotion you can in theory lower the entire city defense number without spending any espionage points; but that is actually too hard to do:)...

Edit: actually really not because that promo is restricted to a maximum of 4 units, heh.

I just decided to check back in on the DuneWars mod to see if it had been updated, and lo and behold, this modmod had entered the fray.
Sadly, when I go to download it, my browser informs me that the file does not exist on the servers.
Help?
The work done here looks absolutely phenomenal, you have addressed most if not all of the problems I had with DuneWars 1.97, and I would really love to play this modmod!

i just decided to check back in on the dunewars mod to see if it had been updated, and lo and behold, this modmod had entered the fray.
Sadly, when i go to download it, my browser informs me that the file does not exist on the servers.
Help?
The work done here looks absolutely phenomenal, you have addressed most if not all of the problems i had with dunewars 1.97, and i would really love to play this modmod!
+ 1

:(

Probably not going to happen. Too much effort for nothing. Besides I'm working on a work project that made me stay up until 4 am every day but yesterday last two weeks. So, yeah.

Can you not at least upload what you have at the moment so that others might fix it up or continue on? Just killing the project and deleting everything seems a bit wasteful/harsh. Especially given some other people have contributed (LeBashar).

Can you not at least upload what you have at the moment so that others might fix it up or continue on? Just killing the project and deleting everything seems a bit wasteful/harsh. Especially given some other people have helped/contributed.

What other people? What illusion is this? I took leBashar's graphics, yes (and others'), but since I started there's zero contributions. The mod is dead without me. It was dead before.

Besides, no way I'm hosting a file through civfanatics ever again. I would just do the same as Monaldinio with his Conflit on Chiron and stay on another forum. He was smart.

What other people? What illusion is this? I took leBashar's graphics, yes (and others'), but since I started there's zero contributions. The mod is dead without me. It was dead before.

Besides, no way I'm hosting a file through civfanatics ever again. I would just do the same as Monaldinio with his Conflit on Chiron and stay on another forum. He was smart.

Huhh? May I ask what happened here? Conflict with the site, or someone here?
Your mod is very popular, a lot of people use it and wait (hope?) for the new updates you already hinted...

Also, noone doubts your contributions to Dune Wars, you already made a _lot_
It's very much appreciated, even if most of the happy users don't post on the forums often, or at all..

I think I know what is happening. Basically Horatius got into a spat with another modder/forumite over the meaning of the word "acropolis". Nothing big but the conversation got heated and a mod swooped in telling him off for scaring away contributing users (not knowing that Horatius had contributed a lot by himself).

Horatius probably took it as a sign he was viewed as a nobody in the eyes of the forum (or at least the moderating staff).

If the moderator actually pulled his files from the upload service as a punishment that would be seriously unprofessional of him, but I don't think that is what's happened.

That said, I would beg you, Horatius, to reconsider. You've been helpful in more projects than this one and could be rising star here (even if the moderating staff might not yet recognise your name and contributions yet).

Top Bottom