Warfare on Immortal

sherbz

Deity
Ok so i moved up to immortal a while ago, and think that its definitely my preferred level of skill. The AI represents a robust challenge and I dont always win, especially if i start next to someone like Atilla and he steam rollers me with loads of battering rams. However, if i make it to the renaissance, then 9 times out of 10 i will win as my science starts to beat everyone elses, my economy is going, and it usually takes an out of control civ to cause me any problems.

My question is how much success people have with warfare. On emperor I could war early, and successfully, although it was difficult. Im finding it next to impossible on immortal. I can kill all their units and pillage etc, but i cant take their cities without suffering heavy losses. I also feel that early war, because its so devastating for your economy, science etc, its not actually worth it. Even if you are boxed in and can only plant 2 cities (including your capital), i think its better to play defensively until you get to cannons, or even better, artillery. Before that war is far too slow, the AI has far too many units, and there are so many other things you could do, spend your hammers on, which are far more useful, warfare seems to be a practical irrelevance early on in the game.

Even if you do just declare, kill units, and pillage. The time you waste building an army is better spent on things like getting your economy sorted, getting NC up, getting a religion etc. This is just my observation having moved to immortal. Im curious what other peoples experiences are.

I think one of the problems that makes warfare so unattractive early on is that going tall is such an attractive idea. In previous civ games, im thinking mainly of civ 4, if you didnt get to a decent number of cities, then you would struggle (you needed a decent number of cities in order to build Oxford). In civ 5 it doesnt matter at all, in fact, the opposite is true, and in many ways smaller is better. You can easily win the game with 3 cities.

Am i alone in thinking this slightly detracts from the over all expereince of civ 5. I used to enjoy things like quechua rushes, axe rushes, horse archer rushes and sword rushes. This aspect of the game seems to have almost disappeared on higher difficulties for 5. It was certainly a lot more doable in 4 right up until immortal. Never played on deity btw.

That's about it. Firaxis has been working towards tall and peace, effectively hampering wide and war approaches. On G&K all was about war and wide, but they got to the other side of the table, far from reaching a balance point in witch wide/tall war/peace could be all optimum strats.

The result is than Tall usually means faster victories, and not making units is optimal in most situations. Also Domination victory is by far the hardest, and on Immortal is hard to make war profitable at all until industrial.

There are several very good current threads active right now about domination over in the strategies and tips section.

In a nut shell, Immmortal/Deity domination is still viable, but more difficult, and the consensus seems to be that industrial era is the best time to start, but ancient era is still the most fun.

Top Bottom