Caveman 2 Cosmos

Well, that explains alot. I don't have two of the FPK files!!!!

Its a miracle the mod hasn't crashed me to boot without those files!!!

I then put the contents of the Advanced file into the Assets folder of Next War Advanced v003, the files (not folders) in my Assets folder are: A_E.fpk, F_L.fpk, M_P.fpk, Q_Z.fpk, Start.fpk, and Units.fpk.

Oops, misread this and thought at first and thought I was missing a few files. When I went to try this, and I did a couple of ways, the game CTD on the game setup screen.

The files are degraded, the only question is whether it happened because of weak download stream (I was downloading at around 150 kbps) or because of intermittent interruptions caused by the server itself. Either one can be fixed, just in a different way.

Hmm... what I did to get this to work as much as it can (I still get random CtDs, likely because it's so HUGE), is I installed the first file (NOT "Advanced.rar") to the mods folder, so my ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods folder has a "Next War Advanced v003" folder.

I then put the contents of the Advanced file into the Assets folder of Next War Advanced v003, the files (not folders) in my Assets folder are: A_E.fpk, F_L.fpk, M_P.fpk, Q_Z.fpk, Start.fpk, and Units.fpk. Right now the only problem I can see is that I get random CtDs right around when all the early religions are founded. Most DO get founded by the time I crash but I don't think I've seen Judaism founded yet.

Running Vista 32bit, with the 3GB modification to the boot file/sector/whatever. For whatever reason when I installed BtS, it defaulted my shortcut to run as admin, and all the 'load mod immediately' shortcuts I have also default to this. Installed the game to D drive to get away from UAC.

FPK files should be in same folder as Art, Python, Sounds etc next folder after Assets.

Also try only playing with 12 or less civs, on High Quality, then after Modern Age try either Medium or Low. I have over 3 GB of RAM plus a 256 MB grahpics card and i still get MAFs later on, thats why i play with less civs.
I just made it to the Future on High with 12 civs then MAF, so i lowered it and it helped for about 1/2 hour or so.

And when you load up the Afric map it CTD!

Sorry about that just delete that, i forgot all about that one, i was going to put all the African tribes in there, and i forgot to do it, sorry people.:blush:

I am trying to do another MOD but i have no idea what people would like, i am thinking of just making Next War with with modules and you can pick and choose which ones you want and leave the others out, plus not changing much of anything else, but i dont know if people would like that or not? Any ideas from anyone??

Small mods, large mods etc what in them etc, but definitely NO dll stuff.

I figured it out.

First, I was placing the FPK files in the wrong folder, i.e. the main folder right before the assets folder.

Secondly, when I placed them in the assets folder, the game CTDs, and it wasn't until today that I took a look at the cause and found that an unofficial patch I downloaded was causing this (Harkfix which is supposed to fix MAFs to a great degree, but I've found that playing the game while running it on admin pretty much solves those problems if you have Vista).

The main problem was that there was no real uninstall for this, and it overwrite some important files for Civ, so I tried to reinstall but misplaced disc 1 of Civ 4, so I have to go out and buy a new copy.

Anyway, I think that's what was happening.

I figured it out.

First, I was placing the FPK files in the wrong folder, i.e. the main folder right before the assets folder.

Secondly, when I placed them in the assets folder, the game CTDs, and it wasn't until today that I took a look at the cause and found that an unofficial patch I downloaded was causing this (Harkfix which is supposed to fix MAFs to a great degree, but I've found that playing the game while running it on admin pretty much solves those problems if you have Vista).

The main problem was that there was no real uninstall for this, and it overwrite some important files for Civ, so I tried to reinstall but misplaced disc 1 of Civ 4, so I have to go out and buy a new copy.

Anyway, I think that's what was happening.

Well at least you got it running, i hope, and the files that are in the MOD should never overwrite anything of the original files, if you place the mod in the correct place.

I know what you mean by reinstalling Civ4, i have done it now about five times in the last year, and my Warlords Disk is now corrupt, so i cant use it.:blush: GOOD LUCK!! And thx for writing.

Hi! This a great mode. Not a single crash (although, I am not playing the newest version).

Thank you for this mod. :goodjob:

well it seems filefront is still working which is nice and ONCE AGAIN this mod has me hooked on civ :D

This release feels much more balanced than the others and all the previous issues I had with them are gone. Thumbs up all the way.

However...

A couple of issues have popped up, not sure if they're the mod or just me having done something dumb. Plus one balance problem as well.

First up I just can't get my naval, cavalry or air units to get experience. No mater how many fights they win or which base builds them they come out at basic level one and stay there. No idea at all why or what's causing it but it's a pain.

Also the port tree seems to be broken. You can't build a sea port without a getic river port and only the getic civ gets access to them so everyone else is stuck without.

Odd thing with oil products too. Sometimes you can build a refinery and sometimes you can't and I can't see what it is that unlocks it as it's not what the game says it is. You can have the right techs and a coastal base and oil but no refinery.

Any ideas with those?

Oh and as to balance, snipers....
Snipers are brutally overpowered, end of. Once you get them you don't need to build any other unit except the odd trash defender for base taking. That repeat attack sniping ability is an army killer especially if you've got the confucian holy building for the extra movement. I've taken out over 150 templer knights in the space of 5 turns and they weren't even able to strike back. Fortunately the AI doesn't use it and as long as you only use snipers as recon and cover units in small numbers rather than build 100's as a 19th century stealth army :D it's not a problem but it could muck up the MP games.

Anyway, great mod. Love it. Any advice on what's wrong with the issues would be diamond :)

well it seems filefront is still working which is nice and ONCE AGAIN this mod has me hooked on civ :D

This release feels much more balanced than the others and all the previous issues I had with them are gone. Thumbs up all the way.

However...

A couple of issues have popped up, not sure if they're the mod or just me having done something dumb. Plus one balance problem as well.

First up I just can't get my naval, cavalry or air units to get experience. No mater how many fights they win or which base builds them they come out at basic level one and stay there. No idea at all why or what's causing it but it's a pain.

Also the port tree seems to be broken. You can't build a sea port without a getic river port and only the getic civ gets access to them so everyone else is stuck without.

Odd thing with oil products too. Sometimes you can build a refinery and sometimes you can't and I can't see what it is that unlocks it as it's not what the game says it is. You can have the right techs and a coastal base and oil but no refinery.

Any ideas with those?

Oh and as to balance, snipers....
Snipers are brutally overpowered, end of. Once you get them you don't need to build any other unit except the odd trash defender for base taking. That repeat attack sniping ability is an army killer especially if you've got the confucian holy building for the extra movement. I've taken out over 150 templer knights in the space of 5 turns and they weren't even able to strike back. Fortunately the AI doesn't use it and as long as you only use snipers as recon and cover units in small numbers rather than build 100's as a 19th century stealth army :D it's not a problem but it could muck up the MP games.

Anyway, great mod. Love it. Any advice on what's wrong with the issues would be diamond :)

I have no idea what could be wrong with the Naval stuff, i never messed with any of that, i just left them the same just added a few more units is all. I will have to check into the other areas you mentioned, no one ever says anything about the mod.
B ut as the Sniper, i really like the way it is cause i can be on the path to victory and have a barbarian civ that has Sniper's and keep me on the right path to thinking a little more.

The 148 civ mod will be the last of that type, i have made two smaller ones because the 148 just is too big (Can only play from 8-9 civs that work really good). Unless you have a Super Fantastic Puter.
I want to put one that only has around 60 civs (supports around 10-14 civs really well)but that also seems to big. But i will give it a try anyways.

I am also making a from scratch again a mod, that i will be working on to take the place of both of these, it will be just the mod itself plus as much as i can get into it with the added mod VD 5.1, that is why i am going to, down the road ask for opinions and advice what people want in the mod and what kind of normal units, ie: Sniper, Modern Infantry, Modern Marine, Modern Armor etc.
I have along way to go with this one, still havent hadded alot of what is in NWA yet, but really dont know what people like or dislike??

I am also thinking of adding the respawn mod, and Heroes mod, I haven't tested them yet, and exactly how far i should go into the future by adding FF stuff etc.

Keep in mind i do NOT want anything that has a dll.

SO just have fun playing for now, and does anyone want the 60 civ mod now, or later??:rolleyes:

I have no idea what could be wrong with the Naval stuff, i never messed with any of that, i just left them the same just added a few more units is all. I will have to check into the other areas you mentioned, no one ever says anything about the mod.
B ut as the Sniper, i really like the way it is cause i can be on the path to victory and have a barbarian civ that has Sniper's and keep me on the right path to thinking a little more.

The 148 civ mod will be the last of that type, i have made two smaller ones because the 148 just is too big (Can only play from 8-9 civs that work really good). Unless you have a Super Fantastic Puter.
I want to put one that only has around 60 civs (supports around 10-14 civs really well)but that also seems to big. But i will give it a try anyways.

I am also making a from scratch again a mod, that i will be working on to take the place of both of these, it will be just the mod itself plus as much as i can get into it with the added mod VD 5.1, that is why i am going to, down the road ask for opinions and advice what people want in the mod and what kind of normal units, ie: Sniper, Modern Infantry, Modern Marine, Modern Armor etc.
I have along way to go with this one, still havent hadded alot of what is in NWA yet, but really dont know what people like or dislike??

I am also thinking of adding the respawn mod, and Heroes mod, I haven't tested them yet, and exactly how far i should go into the future by adding FF stuff etc.

Keep in mind i do NOT want anything that has a dll.

SO just have fun playing for now, and does anyone want the 60 civ mod now, or later??:rolleyes:

The naval/cav/plane thing is really odd. I've played a few games now and it seems to be certain units that have the problem. You build a galley or war galley and they level up as normal but triremes and caravels are frozen. Men-o-war are fine but frigates not. Destroyers, carriers and battleships don't level up but missile cruisers do. Same with the cav. Chariots and horse archers are fine but mounted cav not. Even in the modern age it's the same. Motorcycles work but tanks don't. Not sure if any of the planes work as I've only build early fighters and bombers so far and they don't get experience.
Just odd.

The port thing seems to be a problem in how buildings link. You need a getic river port to start the port tree rather than a plain harbour. Same with the refinery I think. It needs a coastal city that's also on a river or you can't have it but that's just observations so far.

Snipers I don't mind, same with templer knights they're hugely overpowered but you work round it. It doesn't break the game vs the AI I just mentioned it as it's a killer for multi player games.

For your new mod I love NWA so the more it's like that the better. I have a high spec pc so don't suffer with the size of it. Most games I play are huge, snail, 18 civ games and I don't have any problems :)
I'm sure anything you touch will turn golden :D

File Front had some trouble with my Advanced file, so i made a new one now called Advanced1.

Hi,
Been reading really good reviews about this mod on the forums and tried downloading it earlier today, and managed to get the whole of Next_War_Advanced_v003.rar after a bit of a wait :) but no joy at all with the Advanced/Advanced1 files :(
The link
http://files.filefront.com/Advanced1rar/;13464221;/fileinfo.html
redirects to
http://www.filefront.com/
... seems like the file is unavailable.
Could you have it re-uploaded?
Thanks
Alx.

Hi,
Been reading really good reviews about this mod on the forums and tried downloading it earlier today, and managed to get the whole of Next_War_Advanced_v003.rar after a bit of a wait :) but no joy at all with the Advanced/Advanced1 files :(

Thanks
Alx.

Thx for the info, YES FileFront deleted it again:blush:, for some reason. But i have it on Atomic Gamer also now.

Also i just included a Watered down version only 60 civs for those without a Super Puter.

Top Bottom