Silly AI behaviour

45°38'N-13°47'E;13847247 said:
It's in the starting options, you have to select it before starting the game

Could it be any of the siege options that are causing this behavior like ranged bombardment or archer bombardment ? (I have them both turned off)

What do you think is the actual decision process within the AI that is glitching up ? Did somebody accidentally delete the AI coding for how to attack with their units (very doubtful) or is it their combat odds calculations that are screwing up ? (thus them calculating unrealistically dangerous odds and avoiding to attack) and if it is combat odds is it single unit combat odds or just when in a stack the calculations are failing to take into account the stack ?

Also you have mentioned something about siege units in stacks possibly causing this, what makes you think that ?

Could it be any of the siege options that are causing this behavior like ranged bombardment or archer bombardment ? (I have them both turned off)

What do you think is the actual decision process within the AI that is glitching up ? Did somebody accidentally delete the AI coding for how to attack with their units (very doubtful) or is it their combat odds calculations that are screwing up ? (thus them calculating unrealistically dangerous odds and avoiding to attack) and if it is combat odds is it single unit combat odds or just when in a stack the calculations are failing to take into account the stack ?

Also you have mentioned something about siege units in stacks possibly causing this, what makes you think that ?
I have archer and range bombardment off, so no, it's not that.
I don't know what's causing it but AI is currently attacking me, so code is working somehow. I thought about siege weapons because I had reports where AI was attacking but not when siege weapons are in stack, but in my current game AI is using them. I'll try something else, later I'll post my save if you want to try it and tell me how AI behaves on your PC.

now in my game AI stack with 60 units and 0 siege weapons is standing near other AI city with 3 defenders (1 longbow and 2 mounted units) and not atacking. So the problem is deeper than only siege units i think.

now in my game AI stack with 60 units and 0 siege weapons is standing near other AI city with 3 defenders (1 longbow and 2 mounted units) and not atacking. So the problem is deeper than only siege units i think.
Can you upload your save? Thanks

This might be an issue of large stacks vs small. After reading this post, I went into my game, which has 15 UPT limit, and declared war on the baddest mother :scan::mad::eek:ker (who just happen to be my neighbor across a canal).

That dude came with 5 different stacks (didn't see how many were in each stack because I was on auto AI play), surrounded my weakest city, and liberated it from my hands. Afterwards, my auto AI guys was like, "Peace?" and the the baddest mother :scan::mad::eek:ker was like, "Yep!" (we were super buddies before I declared war).

I know it was just a small test, but the AI seemed to do well. So maybe the rewritten AI code is with small UPT limits in mind. If that is the case, then I'm happy because 15 UPT really is a game changer (a good middle ground between sucky 1 UPT and infinite UPT)

This might be an issue of large stacks vs small. After reading this post, I went into my game, which has 15 UPT limit, and declared war on the baddest mother :scan::mad::eek:ker (who just happen to be my neighbor across a canal).

That dude came with 5 different stacks (didn't see how many were in each stack because I was on auto AI play), surrounded my weakest city, and liberated it from my hands. Afterwards, my auto AI guys was like, "Peace?" and the the baddest mother :scan::mad::eek:ker was like, "Yep!" (we were super buddies before I declared war).

I know it was just a small test, but the AI seemed to do well. So maybe the rewritten AI code is with small UPT limits in mind. If that is the case, then I'm happy because 15 UPT really is a game changer (a good middle ground between sucky 1 UPT and infinite UPT)

Hmm thats really interesting that AI works well for both of you with exactly 15 UPT, and yeah I'd love to try out a save from either of you and see what happens.

Download Save

The Inca Kingdom is just north of your location. I have peace with them for 10 turns. So just prepare yourself, and after 10 turns declare war on them.

Couldnt play for very long as I am visiting parents and am on my laptop rather than main rig, so all your civs made turns painfully slow :p, I declared war on Inca but only played for 5-10 turns on war, they landed 3 swordsmen a few tiles from my capital and just stayed there not doing much, but as this is an Archipelago map (I think ?) it might be down to the oversea invasion AI being poor again and waiting for reinforcements, although from my visibility of his capital he has a few huge stacks standing around doing nothing, idk.

Also when I loaded the game it said 7 UPT (which I have put in the settings and am intending to try out in a few days) while you said your game was 15 UPT, so idk if that affected anything.

Also just small question because I couldnt help looking around how another Civ player plays civ (ive never loaded up someones save before) how come you are still running bartery economic civ so late in the game when you have slavery available ? Bartery really gimps your gold and science generation and the drawbacks are imo much worse than the extra unhappiness from slavery, am I missing something ?

@45 maybe you can post your save later ?

Also when I loaded the game it said 7 UPT

That is quite possible. I usually play 15, so I just said what I usually do.

how come you are still running bartery economic civ so late in the game when you have slavery available

I don't play to win. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not competitive, but to me, Civilization is a story that is unfolding. For example, in my game, the Dutch Queendom does not condone slavery of any type. (They will also probably stay a queendom for all of history, unless I decided in role playing way that a political party overthrew the queen, but man, the Dutch love their queen.)

It sounds weird, but that is how I play. One time I played Celtic Jews who were religious fanatics, and would go to war with anyone who was of the devil (another religion).

Also when I loaded the game it said 7 UPT (which I have put in the settings and am intending to try out in a few days) while you said your game was 15 UPT, so idk if that affected anything.

Guys, your BUG options are stored in your PC not in the save. So you definitely are playing with your own options each. You should also share your usersettings folder if you want to make sure you use the same options. If you're doing that, I suggest you backup your folder somewhere else because that's where all your choices of options in game are stored.

Here's my save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bs5fe3alixjyqp/r974+-real-01-siegetest AD-0531.CivBeyondSwordSave?dl=0
after some turns at war with Assyria, they usually send more stacks to attack a couple of my cities. Played with 15 upt limit

Posting a save game here with some strange AI behavior. A revolt (in just-captured lands that I haven't yet consolidated control over) spawned a bunch of units. Most of the AI units retreated out of my territory to hunker down, but left a Great General completely in the open. Is there some way to make the AI realize that these units are just going to die? The highlighted stack is standing two tiles east of St. Petersburg in neutral territory. The Great General standing one tile east is completely alone.

View attachment 395178

I've been noticing this every now and then, but have no idea what's up with it...

An AI will have a large army and then dismiss/sell virtually all of it in ONE TURN, causing a massive plummet in their power graph. A few games back, Theodora was doing very well. 0.6 compared to me on the power graph, and then sold her entire army so she had one or two units per city and little else, then vassalized to me an my partner.

Just now, I'm witnessing Roosevelt's power drop considerably, and while he is at war I saw his border city next to me drop the 16 or so units stationed inside. He went from dwarfing me in power to being 1.6 ~ 1.9, in one turn.

Why does the AI do this? Is it financial reasons? Do they really need to dismiss their entire army?

I attached a save, but it's the turn after I noticed Roosevelt's one-turn drop in power so I don't know how much use it'll be. Looking at the power graph, two other AI also had massive plummets in power over the span of a few turns.
Civ4ScreenShot0265.JPG

(EDIT: The second drop in power on Suleiman's power graph was from me warring with him at the time)

Attachments

• AND - Akaikosh.rar
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Something else I noticed, Korea is Cautious with me. He comes up and proposes a trade: Rudder for my Clockworks and some of my spare change. I accept, and our relations drop to Annoyed as a result. What? :lol:

Aren't relations supposed to improve when you give the AI things? :crazyeye:
I've had this happen every now and then - AI relations deteriorating when you agree to their trades, as if they're offended you accepted.

Again, don't know if the save will help since I did so after accepting the deal. Also, I reloaded the autosave and asked him what HE wanted for Rudder, and asked for just Clockworks this time - no change in relations. Reloading again and ending the turn, he approached me and offered Rudder and some of his cash for Clockworks - no change in relations. Very strange!

Attachments

• diplomac.rar
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Top Bottom