What do the speeds mean?

King Victor I

Chieftain
Just downloaded RoMaND, playing a few learning games

Can I get a rundown of what the speed factors mean? There are new speeds and I don't want to assume the old ones are unaltered (for example nowhere in the sevopedia does it say that you now feed 3 food per population, I had to see that in the game)

unmodded civ:

normal.... 100% unit cost, 100% everything else
epic........ 125% unit cost, 150% everything else
marathon. 200% unit cost, 300% everything else

RoMaND:

normal.... ??
epic........ ??
marathon. ??
snail....... ??
eternal.... ??

help?

It's not a matter of units or buildings cost as those have been altered too, it's a matter of total number of turns. From blitz to eternity it's 600, 900, 1200, 1800, 2400, 3000, 4800 turns.

That doesn't help.

Does the hammer cost of units still scale at a different rate than other stuff?
Does the beaker cost of techs still scale at the same rate as frex food per growth?
Does the cost of buildings and techs and such scale at the same ratio as game turns?
Does the length of GA scale at the same ratio as game turns or at some other rate?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Everything is obviously scaled for gamespeed. So usually training a unit, constructing a building, growing a city, discovering a tech, having a golden age or a revolution or anything else on eternity will take 8 times longer than on blitz.

It all scales on depending on various attributes.

Hammers is a set ratio, as the scale increases, so do the hammer costs.

Golden ages scale according to the speed selected, so Marathon is......80 turns Eternity speed is 64 years of a golden age.

Science is scaled due to realistic game speed and time clock. If you going too fast, it increases the research needed. If your falling behind, research times are reduced or beaker cost is reduced.

It's all located in a file, don't know which one, not a modder, but some one will say.

Thanks.

It would be nice if there was a manual or readme file or something.

I guess I'm just going to have to play on lower difficulties until I have learned the complexities all over again. I was just trying to figure out what speed to do it on. I played Marathon exclusively in unmodded BtS because otherwise my units tended to go obsolete before I could get them to where they were needed. The new "standard" speed has almost as many turns as unmodded marathon, so I was flailing a bit.

The obsolescence problem depends on balancing. You shouldn't have this problem at least from normal and slower gamespeed. Anyway if handicap is an issue, I suggest you start on noble and check Flexible Difficulty and Flexible AI under BUG Options, 20 turns check: your handicap and that of AI will adapt depending on how you perform.

Thanks.

It would be nice if there was a manual or readme file or something.

I guess I'm just going to have to play on lower difficulties until I have learned the complexities all over again. I was just trying to figure out what speed to do it on. I played Marathon exclusively in unmodded BtS because otherwise my units tended to go obsolete before I could get them to where they were needed. The new "standard" speed has almost as many turns as unmodded marathon, so I was flailing a bit.

I just started on RomAND the other day, from what I can tell everything scales perfectly. I read somewhere (release notes or here in forums) that marathon was the "normal" speed (1800 turns), with everything scaling up or down vs that. I played my first game on epic and that was pretty long, but I was relearning a lot of the old civ4 game plus learning all of the brand new stuff. My current marathon game with 15 civs actually feels faster than the epic game with 10 civs did the other day.

BTW, Golden Ages are a long way from 80 turns on marathon, maybe on the longest setting they are. I think that mine in my current marathon game are ~ 30 or so before any wonder modifiers.

Top Bottom