Best Map Scripts currently ?

S0crates

Chieftain
Just making this as I've been wondering what people consider to be the best map scripts to use with this mod atm and what people like using

'best' in my eyes is usually

• Most natural/realistic/interesting terrain generation algorithms
  • Most balanced or natural or interesting resource allocation algorithms
  • Most balanced starting point algorithms
  • good performance and realistic size (ultra large maps are fun but can get quite boring if you dont always want an epic game)

I quite like decently land covered maps as it means all the AI have a higher chance and space to expand decently so Civs dont get stunted from spawning at the edges/into terrain and basically become useless from the get go.

Some water also allows navies to exist but having atleast a few civs per continent allows for some sort of meaningful AI on AI wars to occur or AI vs me as although the AI is decent and worked on alot, it still struggles with seaborne invasions compared to overland warfare.

I usually play or judge a map script by its performance/results on standard size or large, as extremes tend to screw with the algorithms from my understanding.

I've ended up using the RoM edition of PerfectMongoose quite alot and also the Toestra mapscript even though its not been adapted for RoM, it creates some interesting terrain and also tries to place resources in a way to create 'strategic' resource allocation, but its terrain generation can be quite extreme as it tries to model real world geographical processes and although very effective, usually creates stuff like huge deserts or tundra wastelands that are similar to what happens on Earth but can ruin a Civ that spawns in that area.

What mapscripts are your guys favorites ?

Also is there any chance we can get the Perfect Mongoose 3.2 or 3.3 mapscript adapted for RoM or Toestra ?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13843375 said:
I also use perfectmongoose or totestra. I didn't know there's a more recent version of perfect mongoose, I'll put it on the to do list, although with low priority.

Sure thing, yeah its v3.3, I think hes adapted it for his own personal mod, I have no idea what is needed to make it useable for RoM http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=380775&d=1408080621

Also is there anything missing from Totestra or could cause a potential problem seeing as its not RoM adapted or does that not really mean anything anymore ?

Totestra doesn't generate any Marsh terrain, which is in AND2 but not in BtS, so totestra doesn't know about it. Apart from that it's my preferred mapscript. By using the options you can mitigate a bit the extremes of the terrain. I almost always have "reduce mountains" on, otherwise you get some truly massive mountain ranges (using barb civs is not recommended in this case, they'll spawn in some truly impossible locations sometimes).

I do try other scripts from time to time, when I want something different. Maze is hilarious; hub, wheel and similar are interesting for when I don't want something epic or "realistic", e.g. an always war game. Might also be interesting for MP use, but I have no chance to try that.
Highlands is for when I want an all-land map, insane production and massive armies ensue.

I enjoy Earth2, which gives a roughly earth "shaped" world but pretty random. However it is totally NOT balanced, if you start in certain areas you have access to floodplains on plains (rather than desert) with is a massive boost.

I use perfect mongoose. It does generate huge tundra wastelands when there's not enough open water surfaces, but that's OK to me. I don't like the whole world to be fully settled by 1000AD anyway.

I modified it a bit to include marsh terrain. However, since I know Python well, but not how Civ uses it, the marsh seems to allow any and all resources to be placed on it. Can look a bit odd, but, ah well, provides a bit of variety in the enormous tundra wastes. I don't like watery maps, probably because base Civ had such a limited number of ships and the AI didn't do invasions well, so I increased the land percentage to the point where I have just a few large lakes, effectively. That makes it take AGES to generate a map though, and appears to be the reason for the lack of rainfall (reasonably enough) and the enormous ice-tundra wastes. I also made it produce more mountains, and allowed large ranges to form.

I would like to modify it to make a 'hot' world, with little tundra but big deserts, next.

Are there issues when BTS scripts are used, as certain resources aren't placed? (is that correct?)

Cheers, A.

I'm new to AND and trying to get a good map to play on.

Since some wonders only affect cities on the same landmass, and maintenance of overseas colonies is more expensive, I like to have just one landmass. In unmodded, I use the Snaky Pangaea script, and I like it a lot. One landmass, but it's not a round convex blob with all civs starting in each others' back yards. The land snakes back and forth and allows more coastline per interior area and more distance between capitols.

In AND the only script that consistently gives me that result is Planet Generator 0_68, (with pangaea and very thin snaky) but I'm having some problems with it. The landmass is often 40%+ arctic/tundra and there is typically about 1 horse per 2 starting civs, and that's BEFORE a bunch of barb civs pop up. (while testing, I found 5 horse on standard, 6 on large, 8 on huge)

I don't know how much work it would take to convert the snaky_pangaea mapscript to work with AND. It there some other way to achieve a similar effect?

(...)
I would like to modify it to make a 'hot' world, with little tundra but big deserts, next.
(...)

Have you ever played Homeworld? I'd love to play a Kharak style map, where near the poles are habitable and closer to the equator it's getting hotter with not even oasis in the middle. Along with Terrain Damage bug setting it would be fun to play a map that is divided to two poles that are unreachable until the Modern/Trans-human era :king:
Spoiler :

Do you think you could do something like that? :love:

My currently favorite Map script/Settings are these:

Rom_SmartMap
Civ4ScreenShot0128.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0129.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0130.JPG
I greatly reduce the advanced start base points and also halve the number of starting civs. I like to customize my starting location a bit, but not overly and also like to have some space to expand in the ancient time.

I like SmartMap because it generates some nice islands areas although its continents are not as beautiful as PerfectWorld (or Totestra). Would be nice to merge the continent generation of PerfectWorld with the islands of SmartMap :rolleyes:
I like to have a lot of islands because you have more to explore and in Totestra you don't really need any navy in the early game IMO.

I play perfect world 2 mostly. I think perfect mongoose is supposed to be an upgrade to it, but it hasn't work super well for me the couple times I've tried it.

I have only ever used perfectworld2 - am I missing out on anything?

Top Bottom