A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've narrowed down the cause of the infinite loop to a particular game option, Fixed Borders. I need to analyze the code more deeply, but for the moment, to avoid the loop, turn off the Fixed Borders option.

If you already have a game going that you would like to continue, load the save a few turns before, save a worldbuilder save, and open the worldbuilder save in notepad. Find the line that says "GameOption = FIXED_BORDERS" and delete it, and save notepad. Now reload the worldbuilder save.
Oh good, I wasn't the only one then. Out of curiosity, did you change any coding directly pertaining to said attribute (fixed borders)? If so, what did you change so I can see what's wrong with it.

Since AND is growing by leaps, I want to try my hand at packing the art into fpk. I will try it sometime this coming weekend or the week. After I am done figuring it out, I will upload it and let you test it. If you like it, you can make it a standard part of your installer. Hopefully, that will reduce the size for some people with bad Internet connection.

I'm volunteering because of my hard learnt lesson with fpk and now I'm confident I understand fpk functionality a little better :).

If I fail, I will pass the baton on to another person :).

Oh good, I wasn't the only one then. Out of curiosity, did you change any coding directly pertaining to said attribute (fixed borders)? If so, what did you change so I can see what's wrong with it.

The change was in SDK sources. When Afforess merged in Fixed Border, he possibly made a minor error and this bug came up. Dexy sent Afforess a PM apparently explaining the error. Be warned, when Afforess answer your question, it will be in SDK code :D. Whether or not you understand depends on your skills in C++. I don't have that skill yet :(.

No it's not. I've got < 1sec turn times, even 200 turns into a small map.

Same here, great work with 1.52 :D
Btw, today I've seen yet another interesting development... I'm playing with raging barbarians and they are using warlord chiefs now

The change was in SDK sources. When Afforess merged in Fixed Border, he possibly made a minor error and this bug came up. Dexy sent Afforess a PM apparently explaining the error. Be warned, when Afforess answer your question, it will be in SDK code :D. Whether or not you understand depends on your skills in C++. I don't have that skill yet :(.
Never had that issue before. Nothing I can't tap into with the interweb at my fingertips. Believe it or not, It takes anywhere from a few minutes to about a day to become proficient in many programming languages depending on how my need for it is :p.
The tip is good software in addition to it. I'm currently working on a button to replace the ugly pillage button for the "claim territory" command. I just figured out how to use photoshop just a few minutes ago too ;).

Ooooh. I see, the extra buildings. Alright, that's the answer I wanted, thank you. Still, it's unfortunate, as this makes normal RoM playable (2.81, 2.80 has terrible screen loading times), yet not your excellent modmod. Bah.

I guess I'll wait for another speed-up miracle.

Two quick thoughts:
- There's a lot of cool AND stuff without having to perform the full install and get all the extra buildings. Try a selective install and not picking some of the options that provide new buildings

- Has anyone looked to see if there's a speed difference when accessing the city screen toggling the "show buildings that cannot be built" option is on or not?

Never had that issue before. Nothing I can't tap into with the interweb at my fingertips. Believe it or not, It takes anywhere from a few minutes to about a day to become proficient in many programming languages depending on how my need for it is :p.
The tip is good software in addition to it. I'm currently working on a button to replace the ugly pillage button for the "claim territory" command. I just figured out how to use photoshop just a few minutes ago too ;).

Long story short:

Civ4 is notorious for passing garbage into functions. It loves trying to see if player 204958 has any cities, even though the max player # is 50. This often causes CTD's if the function isn't protected against executing garbage. Usually, simple in-range checks suffice, making sure that the player values are all within the normal bounds. I proceeded to do this with some of the Fixed Borders functions. Unfortunately, I failed to realize that one particular function was meant to receive invalid data (expanding fixed borders over unclaimed territory. The unclaimed territory is owned b player -1, or NO_PLAYER) and process it, but I had added a check to stop invalid data. The game couldn't expand the territory, and so an infinite loop ensued.

Hat's off to Dexy for correcting it.

@Os79, I am unsure how much space making an fpk will save, but I'd be interested to see the results none-the-less.

- Has anyone looked to see if there's a speed difference when accessing the city screen toggling the "show buildings that cannot be built" option is on or not?

I'd imagine so. In the later era's, probably a bigger one.

Weird Python Exception -- happened on one of my end turns:
File "Revolution", line 5507, iPlayer not referenced
File "Revolution", line 4699, in makeRevolutionDecision
File "Revolution", line 2707, in pickRevolutionStyle
File "Revolution", line 2163, in checkForRevolution
File "Revolution", line 1004, in updatePlayerRevolution
File "Revolution", line 600, in onEndPlayerTurn
File "BugEventManager", line 357, in_handleDefaultEvent

This is great! Just when I was about to report a fixed borders bug I came, saw and downloaded (veni, vidi, vici) the file provided by dexy to fix fixed borders and now I have no CDTs anymore, whatsoever. I haven't had as much fun for a long, long time playing RoM. Thx Afforess, thx Dexy and of course, last but not least, thx Zap!!!

If you find any bugs, other than those listed here already, please report them.

• The Great Mosque of Djenne may be broken as well. Please test

The Great Mosque of Djenne is partially working. I get the bonus in desert squares but do not get the reduction in the cost of building cathedrals

Really? I thought it was the bonus commerce for desert tiles I would have broken, since that's still done in python.

I guess I need to go double check the BuildingClassProductionModifiers...

Really? I thought it was the bonus commerce for desert tiles I would have broken, since that's still done in python.

I guess I need to go double check the BuildingClassProductionModifiers...

Yeap, it would have taken 5 turns to build a cathedral the turn before the Mosque was finished and still took 5 turns after.

I didn't notice the cathedral thing, but commerce is working for the great mosque.

The TXT_KEY_BRIBED war ally shows whenever someone is bribed into war against you, and the previously mentioned issue of AIs talking to you about nothing. They seem to do it frequently when you have a tech they want, seems like the first one opens the trade request/demand correctly and the rest just say hi.

Hmm, I'm not seeing the bug. Here's how I tested it:

Created 5 cities, gave all of them buddhism (any religion works, this is the one I chose), then give them all buddhist temples. Give myself all the techs up to and including the Renn. Era. Gave a city a desert tile and 2 Great Engineers. Switched out of Folklore. Converted to Buddhism. Now, I can build the GMoD. I tell a different city to start building a Buddhist Stupa, it will take 150 turns. I hurried the GMoD with the GE's. Now the city building a Buddhist Stupa only has 75 turns left.

I can upload screenshots if you want.

However, I went and reformatted the text for Building and Global BuildingclassProductionModifiers, so it doesn't use up as many lines. ;)

Long story short:

Civ4 is notorious for passing garbage into functions. It loves trying to see if player 204958 has any cities, even though the max player # is 50. This often causes CTD's if the function isn't protected against executing garbage. Usually, simple in-range checks suffice, making sure that the player values are all within the normal bounds. I proceeded to do this with some of the Fixed Borders functions. Unfortunately, I failed to realize that one particular function was meant to receive invalid data (expanding fixed borders over unclaimed territory. The unclaimed territory is owned b player -1, or NO_PLAYER) and process it, but I had added a check to stop invalid data. The game couldn't expand the territory, and so an infinite loop ensued.

Hat's off to Dexy for correcting it.

@Os79, I am unsure how much space making an fpk will save, but I'd be interested to see the results none-the-less.
Oh good, beat me to it :p. I'm still making the icon for it. I think that a new option should have a snazzy new button to go along with it ;)

I got a CtD that may have been because the Great Wall was built,
RoM 2.81-Lite, and 1.52 everything +Red-Interface
Crashes on hitting enter

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-4650.CivBeyondSwordSave
    334.5 KB · Views: 133
I got a CtD that may have been because the Great Wall was built,
RoM 2.81-Lite, and 1.52 everything +Red-Interface
Crashes on hitting enter

Did you make any custom changes? You installed everything in AND, even Sea Monsters?

If you would just upload your A New Dawn.log, because I can't open the save.

Did you make any custom changes? You installed everything in AND, even Sea Monsters?

If you would just upload your A New Dawn.log, because I can't open the save.

What I meant was everything standard+ Red Interface
where is the log stored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom