Event Cleanup

I've had this list for many weeks now. I want to just get it all out there.
  • VGer: Delete Fission (it's redundant).
  • Crucible Steel: Should require at least one Classical Era or Medieval Era Melee or Mounted unit and go obsolete with any Renaissance tech.
  • Poison Arrows: Obsolete with any Medieval tech.
  • Archery Founded: I still think we should hardwire this and make it a First Free Unit Class instead of an event. What do you think?
  • Trade Founded: Same deal as Archery; hardwire this.
  • Ancient Mercenaries: Obsolete with any Classical tech.
  • Classical Mercenaries: Obsolete with any Medieval tech.
  • Medieval Mercenaries: Obsolete with any Renaissance tech.
  • Earthquake: Requires at least one Classical tech.
  • Segmented Armor: Move from Armourer to Forge, obsolete with Matchlock, and require at least one Classical Era melee unit.
  • Chain Shot: Require at least one Wooden Ship to trigger.
  • Grape Shot: Require at least one Wooden Ship to trigger.
  • Copper Plating: Require at least one Wooden Ship to trigger.
  • Assassin Discovered: Cascade the units like Spy Discovered. You currently always get Axemen. I think you should be allowed to go Rifleman - Musketman - Maceman - Axeman depending on where you are in the tech tree.
  • Sea Storm 1: Allow Steamer to trigger.
  • Coastal Reef: Allow Steamer to trigger.
  • Coastal Reef Stuck 1: Allow Steamer to trigger.
  • Treasury Plundered: Obsolete with any Industrial tech.
  • Silver Rain: This is the event that spawns Barbarian Nanite Clouds. The counter unit for this is Tactical Nuke/ICBM (the counter unit must be buildable to allow the event). Should there be a more appropriate counter?
  • Hardy Crops: Change prerequisite to Agricultural Engineering.

Very much the last batch.
  • Recruitment Drive: Window is too narrow; it requires Flintlock and Nationalism but not Rifling. Suggest moving the obsoleting point to Repeating Weapons. You will still get Musketmen, but you can upgrade them.
  • Exploited Peasants: This requires running Proletariat. Should it? This seems more like Caste or Bourgeois's alley (+10-25 gold, 2 turns of anger).
  • Streamlined Government: Another inflation-related event; should probably cut.
  • Large Recession: Yet another inflation-event.
  • Hardy Scouts: Obsolete with any Classical tech.
  • Labor Unions: Delete Industrialism from prereqs.
  • Good Harbor: It requires Currency tech, but Barter civic. I think we can just delete the civic requirement.
  • Cake Flour: Delete Printing Press
  • AntiAircraft Fuses: Delete Aegis Cruiser from list of units.
  • National Anthem: Again, this is now a National Wonder, not an Event. Let's remove it.
  • City Ruins Treasure: Obsolete with any Modern tech.
  • City Ruins Relics: Obsolete with any Modern tech.
That's the end of the list.

Crossing the Rubicon; Generals Putsch; Carnation Revolution:
I think these should be available to any civ. You don't likely to see these at all, especially with MCP.

City Ruins Relics: Obsolete with any Modern tech.
Maybe this one could be active till the end of the game (Of course City Ruins Treasure not)

Archery Founded; Trade Founded:
Hardwireing them is probably a good idea.

I'm okay with the rest.

Long list, lots of work you had with it I guess. :worship:

One suggestion is have the events scaled to game speed and map size as an additional requirement.

some of these events are more of an annoyance then a boon/penalty.

Scale the benefits/ penalties to map size and game speed would be better.

things like 25:gold: or +1 happy for 5 turns aren't even worth considering.

Definitely clean the events table up, to remove those that aren't applied anymore.

Good GREAT work in what your doing.

I for one appreciate it very much.

One suggestion is have the events scaled to game speed and map size as an additional requirement.

some of these events are more of an annoyance then a boon/penalty.

Scale the benefits/ penalties to map size and game speed would be better.

things like 25:gold: or +1 happy for 5 turns aren't even worth considering.

Definitely clean the events table up, to remove those that aren't applied anymore.

Good GREAT work in what your doing.

I for one appreciate it very much.

Indeed, most of the gold giving events I just click through and ignore. Even in BTS they were kinda useless. Great opportunity for some writing if you're doing a story-game, but gameplay wise they're useless.

Cake recipies, just 40 gold?
The boiler designs, scrolls, and pretty much every other "big sales" thing are just pointless on any game speed or map size. Repairing Forts and most other treasury depleting events don't do much either, unless you're consistently struggling to keep your treasury above zero :lol:

On the other hand, events like the Uranium discovered (Haven't seen that one since BTS!) and some other "opportunity events" those are pretty good as they are, since it often requires you to have a decent amount of cash on hand. Most of the negative events and pretty much all the bonus events that involve money however, can almost be safely ignored as if they weren't even there. (That oil refinery event still bites pretty hard though! ;) )

Yeah, and discovering a new silver vein without any priced metals in range is a godsend. Especially if it's in turn 50, near your capital...

Yeah, and discovering a new silver vein without any priced metals in range is a godsend. Especially if it's in turn 50, near your capital...

All you need for that to happen is a Mine being worked - don't think Events have anything to do with it? (Never played with No Events so I can't be sure if the "Small chance of X improvement spawning Y resource" works without events)

The event I'm referring to you can pay a large sum of money to spawn a Uranium resource and mine at a location, and if you can't pay up then nothing happens. Unlike the Deer Herds or Spices events, not paying means the resource doesn't spawn period - ever. Your nation deemed the discovery unimportant and "not useful to our technological progress" or whatever, and so disregarded it - and thusly the resource goes to waste. In my experiences it's a pretty rare event, I've only ever seen it trigger two or three times, and two of those three times I didn't have the funds to take advantage of it :sad:

There was also a Comet Strike event that would clear a forest in an area, and if I'm remembering right, one of the options would boost something... Science or SpaceShip production? Haven't seen that one in a while either.

Nah. There's an event, completely unrelated to working mines, where a silver vein pops out. You can either discover it, or even for a price, have an instant mine and a road to it.

Rev 899, still got the Recession event, with text about Inflation.
Didn't have any effect though (Inflation remains 0 in the Financial Advisor screen).

As mentioned in a previous thread:

It would be cool if you didn't get 4 volcano dark ages in a timeframe between discovering Fermentation and Theology...

It would be cool if you didn't get 4 volcano dark ages in a timeframe between discovering Fermentation and Theology...
In update 902, Afforess did decreased the randomness of this event from 15% to 3%. We need feedback with the new version :)

I was only working with the list of events before Afforess added the dark age.

There's an event where a hurricane strikes one of your cities. I haven't checked the code yet but you're supposed to choose between buildings being destroyed and people being killed. But I've never been able to choose people being killed, only the other option is available.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13716034 said:
But I've never been able to choose people being killed
What a psychopath :D

That's true for me too.

There's an event where a hurricane strikes one of your cities. I haven't checked the code yet but you're supposed to choose between buildings being destroyed and people being killed. But I've never been able to choose people being killed, only the other option is available.

The same happens to me.

Also this event I think should give some :hammers: rather than :gold: (See screenshot)View attachment 390713

45°38'N-13°47'E;13716237 said:
Or maybe food since he looks like captain Findus to me [emoji13]

I always thought he looked familiar somehow! :lol:

That one's messy. It looks like it always axes a building if the city has any. Here is the Python check for the first of the two choices:
Code:
def canApplyHurricane1(argsList):
	iEvent = argsList[0]
	kTriggeredData = argsList[1]

player = gc.getPlayer(kTriggeredData.ePlayer)
	city = player.getCity(kTriggeredData.iCityId)

bValid = False
	for iBuilding in range(gc.getNumBuildingInfos()):
		if (city.getNumRealBuilding(iBuilding) > 0 and gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuilding).getProductionCost() > 0 and not isLimitedWonderClass(gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuilding).getBuildingClassType())):
			bValid = True
so it returns TRUE if the city has any real buildings (not given for free by Wonders) with a cost greater than 0 (so it doesn't hit things like Academy) and isn't a Wonder itself.

The second part (kill citizens) has a Python check as well:
Code:
def canApplyHurricane2(argsList):			
	return (not canApplyHurricane1(argsList))
so it returns the inverse of the first. If there's any buildings to hit, they get hit. If there aren't, then the population takes a hit.

The actual destruction is then another Python routine. It destroys one building with a base cost of 100 or less and one building with a base cost of over 100.

IMO, the canApplyHurricane2 should just return true. If players want to choose to lose pop, they should be able to.

Top Bottom