An Island Race

Yes I know Diplo, I got :confused: with a different game. You could just go up the Eco line now and skip Arch, maybe get a RA for it. Start 1 turn on it and sign a RA then switch to a different tech, I think that's how that works.

I think rationalism is the best option for the science bonus, we have a lot of TPs which would add up to a lot of :c5science:.

Ye the thing were you put a turn of research into a tech so it doesn't get seleted for an RA tech (I think) seems like an exploite to me. Still If people are happy with that then I would bow to the decision.

I'm happy to start up the Eco line rather than go Arch.

The one turn research/RA exploit just doesn't feel right to me. But, like grandad, if everybody else is cool with it then I won't say anything.

Still there grandad? This thread got awfully quiet. I'm looking forward to seeing your set.

Regarding the RA thing, conquering Arabia put us far enough ahead to not use exploits imo.

Still here. Just waiting for the time to play! Probably by the end of today. I'll be avoiding the RA exploit then since we seem pretty much in agreement about it.

I'll take the Rationalism SP.

PFT

I negotiate a deal with Ram
Spoiler :

I also trade with Monty
Spoiler :

This takes us from very unhappy to just plain old unhappy.

I make peace with Copenhagen.

I hire some sci specs in London.

Hastings, Wealth > Seaport
Coventry, Wealth > Worker. I also buy a WB to re net the fish.

We gain an SP and I adopt Rationalism and we enter our turn GA!
Spoiler :

I start to send our SotL on sea patrols as they heal as I want to know of any AI troop movements as soon as they happen.

I upgrade one of our remaining Tris to a SotL.

IBT Cathrine asks for 18gpt! No, I don't think so.
Spoiler :

IBT Harun asks us for a PoS against Oda. Hahaha. Go away you idiot.

In fact this prompts me to call up Oda and sign an RA with him.

Caesar is worried about our troops near his borders?! We have one SotL there!!
Spoiler :

I say not to worry.

Coventry, Worker > SotL
Warwick, LH > Temple. Our next SP is over 50 turns off so I wanted to try and speed this up.

As one of our SotL is scouting north of eygpt I start to find lots of AI caravels
Spoiler :

In fact this was a similar story all along these northern waters.

Our GA comes to an end :(

A deal with Oda ends so I renegotioate it.
Spoiler :

Rifling is in and I start up to Economics with Chivalry.
Spoiler :

Askia is worried aout the troops on his borders. Seriously what troops? I hate how stupid the AI is sometimes.
Spoiler :

I tell him not to worry.

Monty demands one of our dyes. Since we have no one to really trade it with right now and it won't change our happiness level I say ok.
Spoiler :

Hastings, Seaport > Theatre

Just some unit movement

Casar completes the Louvre.

Our Peace deal with Harun runs out.

Coventry, SotL > Rifle

Info

Demo. Basically top dogs here. Maybe when we hit positive happiness we should grow our population a bit.
Spoiler :

Eco. Trade routes are paying for our buildings which is nice. Going to finsh some Theatres next set so thats a good chance to grow our population levels soon.
Spoiler :

The AI seem to be about ot start a second wave of expantion. I've seen quite a few settlers roaming around. We have to decide if we want in on this. I'm ok with a little "light expansion" but it doesn't seem that necessary ATM. I think we just need to keep uping our GPT and our culture to speed the next couple of SPs (in Rationalism IMO).

Tech wise we should carry on heading towards Big Ben and then think about going for the UN.

I've been wondering about Askia and his holdings on the Eygitian island. If we could get some PoS against him and maybe get Rammy to DoW we could steam in and take his capital first and then his other cities on the island. Just an idea.

All in all a quiet set really.

The Roster
grandad1982
cripp7 - up now
McLMan - on deck
Bluebird

Admiral Kutzov - Reserve
Estarrioll - MIA

The save

Attachments

• AnIslandRace_0270 AD-1800.Civ5Save
    735.2 KB · Views: 125
Looks like I got the fun set. :lol:

Anyways, things are going good. Glad to see you managed to mitigate my :mad:. And wow that's a lot of AI navy in one place. I've never seen more than one at a time from each AI civ in my games.

Except in a case where two AIs had a war front separated by a two tiles of water and fumbled around with embarked units.:crazyeye:

Looks like I got the fun set. :lol:

Anyways, things are going good. Glad to see you managed to mitigate my :mad:. And wow that's a lot of AI navy in one place. I've never seen more than one at a time from each AI civ in my games.

Except in a case where two AIs had a war front separated by a two tiles of water and fumbled around with embarked units.:crazyeye:

I'm missing something, I'm not seeing any buildup of navy nor any settlers. I'm using the Turn 270-1800AD save.

Get to Economic then go the upper tech tree. There's still a few cities to fill in.

@ cripp7 think thats a coment about another game! However did see a few settlers floating around. There are actually quite a few decent city site still out there.

IHT-
Upgade trieme to SoL

Turn 271-
Chivalry > Banking

Russia & Japan sign a RA

Turn 272-
London theater > settler
Buy Warsaw
Spoiler :

Turn 273-
Nottingham theater > harbor
:c5happy: now at 6!!

Turn 274-
Ramasses asks to help with Askia, I'll upgrade some units to rifles, already have a couple SoLs nearby
Spoiler :

We're #1 most wonderful
Spoiler :

Turn 276-
Banking > Economics

Turn 277-
London settler > workshop
Settler goes north to sheep/fish

Turn 278-
Canterbury theater > :c5gold:

Turn 279-
Hastings temple > bank

Turn 280-
Settle Newcastle > monument

Turn 281-
Buy Venice
Spoiler :

Turn 282-
Londo workshop > bank until next turn then start Big Ben

Turn 283-
Economics > Archealogy
Hastings theater > bank
Coventry rifle > theater
London starts BB
Oda demand
Spoiler :

Turn 285-
Deal with Oda passes, reneg
Spoiler :

Deal with Cathy
Spoiler :

end here. We have an army ready for Askia this turn. We can take his capitols and a couple cities. Ramasses didn't declare from our deal earlier

Attachments

• AnIslandRace_0285 AD-1830.Civ5Save
    752.6 KB · Views: 94
Nice set. I guess tech wise we just go up to Globalization now and maybe fire off a GP golden age at some point to get shanny loads of cash.

Looks ok for a war with Askia. I reckon take those 3 cities and then get peace.

In coventry a citizen is working a 3 hammer mine whilst the 5 hammer coal is unworked.

Looks pretty staightforward. Askia has only 4 cities, shouldn't we just go ahead and wipe him out? Taghaza looks like a decent cash production city.

Will fix citizens in Najran. Next tech Biology to show us where the oil is. We NEED to pick up Military Science before Steam Power. We should consider getting fertilizer at some point. The food bonus to non-water farms is nice.

Don't wipe him out! That last city incures a huge diplo modifier and it can turn even "friendly" AI against you. Even if we didn't get dog piled then it could mean the end of our trading.

In my offline game I've wiped some one out and now I'm stuck in a near permanent state of war with the 2 biggest AI who before I did the deed were all chummy with me.

Turn 285 - 1830 AD
Straighten out tiles citizens working in Coventry
Still have all movement on our invasion force so I immediately DOW on Askia.

Hastings bombs nearby Songhai musket then he's taken out by our rifle there.
Bombard Gao
Take out musket and scout with the landing of our rifles.

IBT
Montezuma cancels POC
Ramses declares war on Askia
Oda cancels POC

Turn 286 - 1832 AD
Position rifles around Gao
Take out another Pike
Bombard Gao and Jenne with our SoL's

IBT
Montezuma cancels POS vs. al-Rashid
We lose a rifle to bombardment from Tombuctou and Gao
Oda cancels POS vs. al-Rashid

Turn 287 - 1834 AD
Continue to soften Gao and Jenne
York: Theater -> Workboat

Turn 288 - 1836 AD
We take Gao with little damage

We get a Great General in London. We have one sitting so I put him to use and begin a GA.

IBT
Ramses cancels POC

Turn 289 - 1838 AD
Sink a Sonhai caravel near Russian Territory
Healing Rifles in Gao
Bombard Jenne and Tomboctau
Oxford founded North of Coventry -> Lighthouse

IBT
Our social advisor pops up to point out how unhappy our people are. Taking a rep hit for this war vs. Askia.

Turn 290 - 1840 AD
I look at possible deals but the prices are too steep. Do end up making a deal with Caesar: he gives spices for 600 gold and Furs. The spices cause a couple of our cities to enter WLTKD.
York: Workboat -> Bank

Turn 291 - 1842 AD
Work a deal with Catherine: she gives dies for 600 gold + OB.
Jenne Falls

IBT
Askia offers peace

Not quite yet

Turn 292 1844 AD
Tomboctu Falls

Now we make a peace deal.

Archeaology comes in -> Biology

IBT
Oda completes Big Ben

Turn 293 - 1846 AD
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

IBT
Arabia and Egypt sign an RA
We get Biology from our RA with Oda. Begin to research Military Science

Turn 294 - 1848 AD
Hastings: Bank -> Cannon
Newcastle: Workboat -> Harbor

IBT
Catherine asks us for a POS vs. Oda. Why not? Go ahead and do it.

Turn 295 - 1850 AD
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We have oil in our borders South of Medina and West of Warwick

Attachments

• AnIslandRace_0295 AD-1850.Civ5Save
    757.6 KB · Views: 116
Nicely done McLMan. Turns out that even war let allown total conquest was bad diplomatically!

Will peak at the save and post thoughts.

Ok so on of our main aims next set should be to reduce our happyness isssues. The new cities should get Colosseums ASAP. If we sell a couple of lux resourses to monty we can get 144 gold and 10gpt which means we can buy a colosseum in about 3 turns. Of course another option is to found some cities next to or on some new happy resourses. Or bribe a CS. Sadly it will require more than one of these options of 2 of the same one to bring s back to mearly unhappy.

Its a real shame me missed out on Big Ben as its one of my favorite wonders.

For any millitary builds I would only recormend naval units ATM.

Yeah, right after the DOW POC's and POS's started dropping. Catherine seems to really like us. We're making pretty decent money so we should be able to buy off a CS every 4-5 turns.

Top Bottom