Rocks 2 Rockets

Regarding Gamespeeds, the V24 speeds were not changed until V27, when we also increased all of the building costs. If you want to use the V27 gamespeeds (and erainfos too, that is important) it will be much more on track, but the only way to get it to be really good is to change all of the building costs as well (and that took forever, so I don't think you really want to do that).

But isn't that why they made Winmerge?:p

I've started a game on Normal with the PM map, Huge, 10AI, No Rev, MP, MR, No Vassal, No Inquisition, No CL, No FB, M Rel., No Flex, No Storms, No TD, Adv Dip, Unlimited W, Limited XP, with only Conquest, Domination, and Scientific Victory conditions. (There are some more options but I can't remember what they were right now).

Ah. No Storms. Good.

Just a little warning for everyone: you really should leave it set to No Storms. I'm not sure what happens if you uncheck this BUG option in order to get storms, but it can not possibly be good. There are no storms. The actual storm feature was removed from CIV4FeatureInfos.xml (and CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml, and any other references to it as well), so there is no storm to show. If it tries to show them when there is no "them" to show, it could be a bad thing. I meant to remove this BUG option, but never did.

But scientific victory? Are you sure? There should be no such thing available.

Ah. No Storms. Good.

Just a little warning for everyone: you really should leave it set to No Storms. I'm not sure what happens if you uncheck this BUG option in order to get storms, but it can not possibly be good. There are no storms. The actual storm feature was removed from CIV4FeatureInfos.xml (and CIV4ArtDefines_Feature.xml, and any other references to it as well), so there is no storm to show. If it tries to show them when there is no "them" to show, it could be a bad thing. I meant to remove this BUG option, but never did.

But scientific victory? Are you sure? There should be no such thing available.

I should have that dont also with C2C, the only thing storms are good for now is eating the HECK out of the memory.

I should have that dont also with C2C, the only thing storms are good for now is eating the HECK out of the memory.

In C2C it seems that if you leave Storms On they last way too long.

Even on Normal speed an Inland Storm will last longer than 10 turns. And were not Storms only supposed to be on the seas?

@ GE
I'll have to double check the Scientific Victory, maybe it was Culture or Space Race.

JosEPh

I am new to mod-mods, should I download this under C2C or independently?

Also, on the general discussion forum we've been discussing a 'mod of mods', which would combine the best aspects of all major mods. I figure that this general group of modders would make a good start, especially if karadoc will agree to work on it as a counterbalance.
I myself am not a modder, nor am I even well acquainted with the many mods, so I will not be on this team, but I am pushing very hard for it.

In C2C it seems that if you leave Storms On they last way too long.

JosEPh

They may actually not. As I reported elsewhere sometimes the graphic is not being removed when it should be. This is why I removed the tornado graphic. While the tornado is there the plot is impassable. The tornado lasts 1-2 turns. However sometimes the graphic is still there 30 turns later even though units have been able to move through the plot since turn 3. Unfortunately it does not survive a save so it is difficult to track down what is happening.

R2R is a complete mod in its own right. It does not need C2C to run.

Also, on the general discussion forum we've been discussing a 'mod of mods', which would combine the best aspects of all major mods. I figure that this general group of modders would make a good start, especially if karadoc will agree to work on it as a counterbalance.
I myself am not a modder, nor am I even well acquainted with the many mods, so I will not be on this team, but I am pushing very hard for it.

This is a full mod, it doesn't go on top of C2C.

You seem a bit paranoid over this. Have you had problems before?

Yes. Plus I don't really like the internet that much and secretly (or not so secretly) hope for its future demise.:p
If you don't want to use this method that's okay. But it is a choice for others.

Which is why someone other than me suggested mirroring it elsewhere---as a choice. Right now there is no choice, and though I was "lucky" that Gamefront worked for me when I had a good 20Mb/sec connection it sure wouldn't work with my current 1Mb/sec connection* (which often times out on me when a semi truck drives by). And as I said I won't register with a site like ModDB to download something like this.

*which is why it took almost a week to respond to this off-topic subject---my current connection sucks and I spend less than 5 minutes per day on the internet now

You still have to keep a separate ID and password if you want to use it more than once and want to keep your online personas separate as well*. And how do you register if you don't get a confirmation email?

Use mailinator.com ? They can spam you all they like, then.

It has occurred to me that a couple more post-v26 DLL/XML features made it in than I mentioned in the first post. Only one of them currently has an effect on anything.

The thing that has an effect is the addition of the property manipulators for the game handicap settings. The effect is that, like C2C v27, the difficulty levels give different amounts of crime per population. The values are not the same as C2C uses:
Settler & Chieftain: 2 crime per turn per population point
Warlord and Noble: 3
Prince and Monarch: 3.5
Emperor and Immortal: 4
Deity: 4.5

(Since R2R's town watchmen and such can take the anti-crime promotions without needing combat promotions as prereqs, so they tend to be more effective at reducing crime, and the crime per pop values are lower it is not surprising that crime is not usually a major problem in R2R.)

Things that are not currently having an effect, in addition to the "auto-build" tag for buildings, also include the definition of two game object types GOM_HANDICAP and GOM_UNITCOMBAT. (These are used by the Expression system, but the first use of game object types in the expressions didn't appear until v25 so there are none at all in R2R.)

I though there were 3 things I had noticed, counting the new GOM types as one, but nothing else is coming to me at the moment.

I have discovered a bug that causes an immediate crash to desktop. It happens when an AI attacks a city, possibly (not sure, did not check enough to be sure) only if there are units that can't actually attack in the stack such as the hand ram unit that was the current unit when the crash happened in my game. It probably can happen in a couple of other situations as well since the fix modified thigns in 3 places.

It looks like I managed to miss a revision to the DLL, revision 3673. This dose small (practically identical) changes to 3 lines in CvUnitAI.cpp without which it can try to use a non-existent plot for something that really needs a valid plot.

So there will be a patch soon, probably tomorrow.

I have discovered a bug that causes an immediate crash to desktop. It happens when an AI attacks a city, possibly (not sure, did not check enough to be sure) only if there are units that can't actually attack in the stack such as the hand ram unit that was the current unit when the crash happened in my game. It probably can happen in a couple of other situations as well since the fix modified thigns in 3 places.

It looks like I managed to miss a revision to the DLL, revision 3673. This dose small (practically identical) changes to 3 lines in CvUnitAI.cpp without which it can try to use a non-existent plot for something that really needs a valid plot.

So there will be a patch soon, probably tomorrow.

Do you have any specific plans for future stuff to add to R2R, or is it just going to be ported stuff from C2C?

The current R2R seems to have "volcano syndrome", as also complained about in C2C.

The current R2R seems to have "volcano syndrome", as also complained about in C2C.

@ God-Emperor:

If you look at the current C2C i am pretty sure DH fixed that problem completely now. I am pretty sure it was just adjusting the EventInfo/TriggerInfo stuff.

I think I may have completely broken it :(. I redid the python only, so the volcano events should be just as often as before but instead of telling you about them you should only be told about them if you can see the volcano in question. I have not been getting any messages or volcanoes happening where I can see them!

I have also seen the volcano erupting in a city as reported elsewhere. I'll have another look at it when I get back.

Another persistent problem I have (which may be in C2C) is getting stuck as the "... Provisional Authority". Seems to happen to NPC empires as well.

Thanks, though, for cutting C2C down to something I can actually run. Much appreciated.

The first patch is now available. The main thing it does is correct the above mentioned crash to desktop, plus 2 other potential varieties of the same which I have never actually seen happen.

Link to the patch is in the first post. It is small enough to be hosted here on CFC.

It will also be uploaded to ModDB, but last time I checked ModDB was down so I'll add it there tomorrow.

Notes:

I would have released this last Sunday but I ran into weirdness which I still have not figured out. Since the patch changes the build number, it will want to do a modifier recalculation if you load an existing save. If you let it do so it may crash. If it does crash, start the save again and do not let it do the recalculation - nothing that was changed can have any effect on this anyway.

For me, with some saves it does crash but with others it does not. The crash is a MAF type crash so if you have plenty of memory it may not be an issue, particularly if you are using the "3GB" switch, its equivalent in recent versions of Windows, or (even better) a 64-bit version of Windows. The same saves that have this crash do not crash when using a debug version of the DLL, which makes it very hard to figure out what is going on.

I also had an issue where the Cache become corrupted in some small way. The only effect was that the various "punk" resources would not load - Clockpunk, Steampunk, and Dieselpunk. Everything else loaded, although anything that mentioned the resources that didn't load complained about the missing resource. I could build all the units and buildings which normally require those resources without the resource, they just needed the tech prereqs. This was fixed by deleting the Cache folder out of the mod (it is recreated for you the next time you run it - the only thing it does is speed up the loading of the myriad of XML files).

There is a file included in the patch that is placed in the Rocks2Rockets folder with all this information in it, Patch v0.1 Notes.txt.

EDIT: By the way, this "MAF tyep crash on recalculation" bug is almost certainly present in the unpatched version, it isn't something the patch adds. Nothing in the recalculation other than removing one version-specific setting for one call (that should not have been there to begin with) has changed for this. There was no reason to ever to a recalc before, so I never tried it and never saw that there was an issue. I expect it also happens with regular C2C, since the code is the same.

Perhaps you should fold some resources together. To use early examples, I really don't see the necessity in having guava, mango, and papaya, or carcass, bone, and hide. There are a ridiculous number of different kinds of gems (precious and semi), there should be like two each max. I like all the new kinds of resource, if you can call them that, I just think adding so many of each kind is not really necessary.

Do you have any specific plans for future stuff to add to R2R, or is it just going to be ported stuff from C2C?

Since the point of R2R is to keep things small, relative to C2C anyway, I don't plan on adding much in the way of new things. A few new capabilities probably, as well as some balancing of the existing stuff. As an example of the "new capabilities", I'm thinking of having some of the housing buildings auto-build, much like they do in C2C. In particular, the two available per "housing era" after Architecture would be auto-built: each of them has a drawback, one giving a point of unhappy (the big fancy housing for rich people) and the other a little crime (the barely livable housing for poor people).

Another persistent problem I have (which may be in C2C) is getting stuck as the "... Provisional Authority". Seems to happen to NPC empires as well.

Thanks, though, for cutting C2C down to something I can actually run. Much appreciated.

I have never seen this happen. Perhaps you are using some combination of civics (and civilization size and anything else it takes into consideration) that it hasn't got anything to cover? I get the impression that it was not exactly carefully updated for C2C to deal with all the available civics options.

And you are quite welcome.

Perhaps you should fold some resources together. To use early examples, I really don't see the necessity in having guava, mango, and papaya, or carcass, bone, and hide. There are a ridiculous number of different kinds of gems (precious and semi), there should be like two each max. I like all the new kinds of resource, if you can call them that, I just think adding so many of each kind is not really necessary.

I have eliminated some of C2C's resources (and I'm pretty sure they have added a few more since the v24 assets I started with, so the difference is even larger now), but most of the ones I removed are manufactured resources rather than map resources. Most of the manufactured resources that were not being used for anything were removed, 20-something of them, Seasoning being one example - it gave no benefit itself (happy or healthy or such) and was not used to allow building of, or modify the properties of, any building or unit. I did remove a few map resource: the Geothermal Energy (land and sea), sea lions, and walrus. Various Culture type resources were removed when the matching culture went, of course.

I didn't remove more because I happen to like the high diversity of map resources. They are all good for something. Some provide direct benefits. The rest are being used for prereqs and/or modifiers for buildings or units.

In fact I think there are still some pretty significant resources missing, like oats and rye for 2 examples. But you'll probably be happy to hear that I don't plan on adding any.

Edit: Oops. Turns out I didn't remove sea lions and walrus. I must have been thinking of them in the whole plant and animal transplanting thing that I was originally trimming down but ended up removing entirely.

This thread needs to be Stickied.

JosEPh :)

Top Bottom