Rocks 2 Rockets

Planetary Exploration is the first empty dead-end tech I could find, refreshing my memory now. I believe there are more.

... oh, while I'm here; the beaker value of Future Tech 1, I suspect, reflects its position at the end of a larger tech tree.

Ah. Planetary Exploration is a Modern era tech and I didn't really look at those very closely. I'm not sure why some of the later techs, like the Jupiter exploration or asteroid probe, do not require it. In C2C v27 it is a prereq for a Galactic era tech (Planet Colonization), but that entire era is gone so it leads nowhere in R2R. I think I need to have the tech actually do something. If nothing else, something like +2 research for the radio telescope building would be useful. There might be some other benefit it could give, or a more suitable building to give it to, but nothing is coming to mind right now.

OK, I just put that in: +2 research for the radio telescope building at Planetary Exploration. It will be in the next release. I might also make it an additional prereq for the asteroid probe tech, but have not decided yet.

As for Future Tech, you are right. I did not adjust the cost. It should be reduced by a large amount. Its current cost, as listed in the XML, is 2904000. The next most expensive is only 19400. So I'm thinking it should be reduced to something like 25000. (I just did so in my current version so it will make it into the next release.)

While I was looking at Planetary Exploration I discovered that its 3 text keys in ATOM_CIV4GameText.xml are all in there twice, so the duplicates have been removed. (This might shave a microsecond or two off of the load time...)

Thanks for your comments! I have never actually gotten past the Industrial era playing R2R (or C2C), so I am not really very familiar with the things after that. I guess I'm going to have to get one of my on-going games at Epic speed past the Industrial era - most of my games have been on Marathon and I'm included towards that or Snail when playing for fun, but for testing purposes I have started a couple of on different map sizes at Epic.

OK, I just put that in: +2 research for the radio telescope building at Planetary Exploration. It will be in the next release.

Thank you... but it's not the only one. I hope you will believe me now. If I identify the others I will detail them.

Thanks for your comments! I have never actually gotten past the Industrial era playing R2R (or C2C), so I am not really very familiar with the things after that.

I have just completed an OCC game on Snail, so I'll mention anything that came up, although I fear I'm unlikely ever to do so again - R2R is a step in the right direction, but in my view C2C could use more radical surgery.

Thank you... but it's not the only one. I hope you will believe me now. If I identify the others I will detail them.

I appreciate any mention of things that are wrong with the mod.

It's not a case of not believing you. After you mentioned it, I ran the game and looked at the tech tree. I hovered the pointer over every Transhuman tech and made a list of those that did not do anything. There were more than I expected. Somewhat later, I checked the tech infos XML and counted how many techs each of them was a prereq for (it would have been quicker to do at the same time since the 'pedia tells you what they lead to). All of them were a prereq for at least 1 other tech.

I did not check anything but the Transhuman era techs. That is also mostly the case for when I was doing the trimming - I looked at them some to find a couple to remove, but not very much, and did not really consider the possible effects of removing the later techs on their usefulness. So the Modern techs may still be a bit of a mess after removing lots of the Transhuman and all of the Galactic era techs. For all I know, there could be another dozen Modern techs that are no longer prereqs for another tech, but used to be. If any of them also do nothing, then that is bad. That is what happened to Planetary Exploration. When I was doing the trimming, after the last cut I do not remember checking for dead-ends again so those last ones removed could have made some techs that used to be prereqs into dead end techs even for some Transuman techs (it is pure luck that it didn't do that to any that did nothing, which I only know now because I checked).

Note that just because a tech has no outgoing arrow that does not mean it is a dead-end tech, even though it appears so in the tech tree. They can still be prereqs (of the "and" sort) or other techs, with their icons appearing to the upper right of the tech instead of pointing at it with an arrow. The tangled web of arrows going every which way and crossing behind tech boxes also makes it hard to tell what is connected to what.

My combing out the tangled web of connections in the tech tree efforts are still back mostly around the early to mid classical era. Eventually I hope to get the whole thing looking better. If there are any that are not fixed before then, I will probably notice any dead-end do-nothing techs as I get to them in that process.

Anyhow, some work is being done. Some progress made. So I think I'm still on track for another release in a bit over 2 weeks. I'm currently debating if I really want to make it a full v1 release as I had though I would, or do it as another patch. The patch has the rather large advantage that it won't be near a gigabyte in size, unlike a full version. A patch is very likely to be under 10MB again (but would not include any trimming to the contents of the FPK files, if there is any - if there isn't it is more likely to be a patch because downloading the same FPK files again would be a waste of everyone's time).

IAfter you mentioned it, I ran the game and looked at the tech tree. I hovered the pointer over every Transhuman tech and made a list of those that did not do anything.

Yes. I'm sorry that I confused the issue by saying "Transhuman"; it was a long session and I forgot the order things happened in. I think the offending techs must be futuristic, therefore.

Note that just because a tech has no outgoing arrow that does not mean it is a dead-end tech, even though it appears so in the tech tree.

Indeed. The issue mostly struck me as I researched each one.

Hi out there!

I can play R2R without problems on my pc, but I cannot start a scenario on a GEM map which is in the folder of R2R-private maps. Is this a known problem or just my mistake/bad luck?

Hope you can help me.

PS: any source to find/download maps especially for R2R?

Hi out there!

I can play R2R without problems on my pc, but I cannot start a scenario on a GEM map which is in the folder of R2R-private maps. Is this a known problem or just my mistake/bad luck?

Hope you can help me.

It won't work with the current GEM, as R2R does not have the new civics. You should ask them in the GEM thread about where the old V24 GEM is, because that should work with R2R.

As indiciated up in the 2nd post in the thread, the scenarios (like GEM - any of them that are worldbuilder saves instead of Python scripts) that are included do not currently work. There are the ones that came with C2C version 24, with no modification. Some of them have more than 35 civs in use and all of them are set up for a 50 civ DLL (you have to have entries in the worldbuilder save for every player the DLL expects, but not more than it expects, even if they are not used: C2C is set up for 50 civs, R2R for "only" 35), and probably most or all of them use terrain types and/or features that were removed for R2R.

I hope to (eventually) get at least a couple of them working, and remove the rest.

As far as I know, nobody has made an R2R specific map/scenario.

Hi out there!

Hope you can help me.

The save file/map can be stripped(edited) so that the civics aren't fixed, I believe.
It's not hard for most anyone at all, even without modding experience.
I did that for GEM for several mods including C2C, Extra, AND, and ROM. It wasn't that hard with trial and error, I remember. I think you just have to find and delete the specific ones. Take a save from both games and compare the two with a free program like winmerge. Simply swap the civics parts I believe, or remove them. Or at least the differences. Notepad can be used as well for just editing one. Editing xml is not hard once you understand the tags. I would start by simply learning how to delete/move them around. A lot of this learning can be done by playing around and fiddling with them. The save/map file simply won't work if it's wrong enough. Nothing that would damage the game. (on the same note: fiddling with the xml in a mod leads to editing, and modding very quickly. The basics are not that hard, just check some of the tutorials on Civfanatics. I recommend that everybody at least tries who wants to see how easy it is.Maybe start by changing a civilization name in the save/map file is a good place to start.)

You can take maps from other mods, and the downloads section at Civfanatics and learn how to easily mod them to either C2C or R2R. Maps could probably made to easily work with both interchangeably. Scenarios could also be ported this way(if you don't find one with parts that can be removed/replaced with those of a C2C mod easily).

It would be nice to see the maps made as more universal between C2C and R2R.
R2R will be the stripped down or streamlined down version of C2C, for many reasons including working on older computers, taking the rougher parts and unfinished features out, and running faster. It will also include all of God-Emperor's improvement(hope they flow both ways) and from those who wish to help.
I hope both versions of the mods can continue to share material, and that people see the value of working on both, together. Both will remain healthy and progressing that way.

At some point I would love to see the K-mod and AND2.0(AND is already part of C2C) get merged into R2R and C2C, because of all the similarities and the popularity of their ideas for the future. This would bring the communities of all 3 together for much of the same purpose - to make a streamlined mod with the best of these ideas. The purpose, goals, and core of these ideas are very similar. It would be nice to see people care about bringing them together.

Time for a status update.

Back a few posts, on 11-Jan, I indicated that I expected to do a new release in about 2 weeks. That would be now. It is going to be another week. I was without a computer capable of running Civ for about 1.5 weeks (motherboard failed less than a day after my last post in this thread) so I got no modding done in that time.

So I now hope to do a release in one week as patch 0.2. It probably won't have quite as much in it as I was hoping to do, but it should still have some good things in it. With some luck I might be able to get the DLL's bugfixes and such all the way to matching the v27 C2C DLL (so, naturally, C2C is going to v28 tomorrow).

Possibly the only funny thing about this is that it means I probably don't actually need a trimmed down version of C2C for my own use anymore since my repaired/upgraded computer is much more capable: 64-bit OS instead of 32-bit, 8GB of memory instead of 2GB, the new CPU is maybe twice as fast for processing a single thread, data transfer with the graphics card (which is the same one since it was a replacement for one with a dead fan last year) is now at full speed instead of something like 1/4 what it was capable of, and even the new disk drive probably loads things in 10% less time. But I will keep working on R2R.

Ugh... I feel for ya GE! At least on the negative end of that. I had a motherboard go out on me a while back and its a horrible feeling... the computer is finally dead without possibility of recovery.

But a new system? Wicked! On that end I'm happy for ya!

Hey GE, thank you for this awesome mod. When i tried C2C i was so disappointed i couldnt play it but when i just happened to find your mod it really made my day.

Its been great so far but i have a few questions.

During the load i keep gettin some sort of XML error, "failed loading XML file, modules\ls162\unused\unused_civ4unitinfos.xml", stuff like that. Its not that big a deal it seems i havent noticed anything go wrong, just thought id bring it up.

Ok now for my main concern, the killer white rabbits, are those bastards intentionally overpowered for mechanical reasons. Like keeping early units from snowballing experience. Otherwise, i feel like getting rid of them altogether or at least making them weaker and i was wondering if you help me do that.
I really like to snowball my Aztec clubman into a god!

Sounds like your game is loading modules that should not be loaded by default.

The killer rabbit, for example, is part of the Alt Timelines Fantasy stuff, which R2R should not be trying to load unless it is modified to do so. The setting for the Fantasy folder in the MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml file in the Alt Timelines module is 0 which means "don't load this". The "Unused" part of the ls612 module, which is causing the messages you mentioned, is also set to not load in the regular R2R installation.

So the question is, did you (or someone else) set it to load those modules? If not, I don't know why it would be loading these extra modules.

Or maybe he played a game of altered C2C then loaded up R2R without clearing the cache?

JosEPh

Ok now for my main concern, the killer white rabbits, are those bastards intentionally overpowered for mechanical reasons.

They were included with the idea of setting up a number of medieval and later events or quests. As said earlier, they are optional and off by default, even in C2C.

The setting for the Fantasy folder in the MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml file in the Alt Timelines module is 0 which means "don't load this". The "Unused" part of the ls612 module, which is causing the messages you mentioned, is also set to not load in the regular R2R installation.

So the question is, did you (or someone else) set it to load those modules? If not, I don't know why it would be loading these extra modules.

I think i know what you are talking about and i think i mustve loaded them when i went to load the extra Civs. I read on the first page that to load them i had to change a modular loading file.

"Many of the modular civilizations which were active in C2C are deactivated in the modular loading control files but still included (so each can be loaded just by changing a "0" to a "1" in the control file):"

Guess i loaded the wrong thing? I thought it was the correct one to load since now i can play all the default deactivated civs like mexico and ainu.

Took me a bit to find the exact file but finally got it loaded! What i was loading was on the main Rocks2Rockets config file you see when you first open the mod folder.
"Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading =0"

Well thanks for the quick response and help GE.

Back a few posts, on 11-Jan, I indicated that I expected to do a new release in about 2 weeks.

So I now hope to do a release in one week as patch 0.2. It probably won't have quite as much in it as I was hoping to do, but it should still have some good things in it. With some luck I might be able to get the DLL's bugfixes and such all the way to matching the v27 C2C DLL .

Possibly the only funny thing about this is that it means I probably don't actually need a trimmed down version of C2C for my own use anymore since my repaired/upgraded computer is much more capable: 64-bit OS instead of 32-bit, 8GB of memory instead of 2GB, the new CPU is maybe twice as fast for processing a single thread, data transfer with the graphics card (which is the same one since it was a replacement for one with a dead fan last year) is now at full speed instead of something like 1/4 what it was capable of, and even the new disk drive probably loads things in 10% less time. But I will keep working on R2R.

If you "dont" want to keep working on this project, please let me know, ok, i have quite a few possibilities i want to do, but only AFTER you have UPDATED everything in working order.

Top Bottom