The AI still settles like a at times

Zet

Warlord

Note the position of Rome on the minimap. There were no hidden luxuries in the undiscovered vicinity of the Cumae.

What happened is that I saw his settler arriving from the north-east, and bought the gold tile to the north-east, as well as the tile to the left of the sheep so that he could not get past me. That confused the AI so much that it decided to essentially throw away his settler, settling in a random spot.

Since BNW I've noticed an increase in extremely aggressive forward settling that often doesn't even make any sense.

This will happen at times, yes. I remember against the Dutch, I had a settler near their lands and noticed his settler just a single tile away. Popping my city in the spot I intended, I proceeded to watch as his Settler stood in place, outside his territory, for 25 turns until I finally walked over him when I declared war on the Dutch (they'd built a wonder I really wanted).

Grr, England did this to me the other day, popped a city RIGHT next to my capital even though London was literally on the other side of the continent. Just asking to get invaded...

At least in my case though there were some Citrus resources to be had.

Does the AI realize they're encroaching on your territory when it does that, or do they consider your capital to be now too close to their territory?

They are likely planning to invade you. It is actually a good strategy to build a forward base, although a better spot would have been to the north of your capital on a hill near the gold. Perhaps they hadn't scouted that area yet.

England didn't invade me when they did it in my game, but they were also the only civ with a weaker military than mine. :p

This happened to me too. In my game, Casmisr took a settler all the way across our continent to plop a city down right next to Marrakech. The city was awful and settling it made no sense.

Maybe he just wanted an safe trade route with you before the planned invasion takes place?

And settlements like this reminds me that BNW is still a civilization game with nutty settlements. :rolleyes:

At this point, i can't help but chuckle when they do an insane settlement.

It's Rome. They don't need a reason to settle wherever. Sort of like the Iroquois.

Polynesia is even worse. They're on another CONTINENT, the continent I am on is inhabited by me, Brazil, Poland, Aztecs, Korea, Indonesia and Carthage...and I see a settler walking by and he plops in a city right in between the Aztecs, Korea and Indonesia. Just to grab a Sugar tile. In 1500 BC.

Top Bottom