New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I was thinking of a somewhat crazy idea for a NES...

It would be set on Earth, and I would let you guys decide when it could be set and stuff, as long as it's pre-Space Age. The basic premise is that it would be Earth, except that aliens would be interfering with it. It would run like a normal NES, but the twist is that every (other?) turn, I would roll a d20, and something crazy would happen depending on what I rolled. Some things could include:

Sudden ice age
Sudden global warming
Wrath of Fbthlp- A random army is annihilated
Mass displacement- Two random civilizations' locations are swapped.
Monster playground- Some big alien monster is dropped onto earth.
Time capsule- One random civilization is given a super-futuristic weapon or technology.
etc etc etc

What do you guys think?

I'm still not sure which website I will host it on. Depends on where more interest is showed.

Heh I had a conceptually similar idea a long time ago, taking inspiration from the Plagues of Egypt. I recommend selecting a region of the earth rather than the whole planet to maximize player interaction for what you're describing, though maybe more details about who the players play would improve my conception of what your thinking.

Heh I had a conceptually similar idea a long time ago, taking inspiration from the Plagues of Egypt. I recommend selecting a region of the earth rather than the whole planet to maximize player interaction for what you're describing, though maybe more details about who the players play would improve my conception of what your thinking.

Players would just play as nations. How exactly the NES would work (full world or just one region) would be up to the players in the WBing stage. Though I have gotten some more ideas on what stuff to add to the "crazy deck".

EDIT: Finished the crazy deck.

I was thinking of a somewhat crazy idea for a NES...

It would be set on Earth, and I would let you guys decide when it could be set and stuff, as long as it's pre-Space Age. The basic premise is that it would be Earth, except that aliens would be interfering with it. It would run like a normal NES, but the twist is that every (other?) turn, I would roll a d20, and something crazy would happen depending on what I rolled. Some things could include:

Chaos Deck:
Spoiler :

Rolled on a d20:
1. Homecoming- The aliens have to go home for a turn and nothing happens.
2. Climatology class- A sudden ice age strikes either a portion of the world or the entire world.
3. Environmentalism class- Sudden global warming occurs.
4. Wrath of Fbthlp- A random active army is annihilated on the spot.
5. Mass displacement- Two random civilizations' locations are swapped.
6. Monster playground- Some big alien monster is dropped onto earth.
7. Darwinian Biology class- Multiple smaller alien monsters capable of mating are dropped onto a region of earth.
8. Domestication Class- Multiple animals capable of mating and domestication are dropped onto a region of earth.
9. Time capsule- One random civilization is given a super-futuristic weapon or technology.
10. Earth science class- A natural disaster of a large scale occurs at a random place on the world.
11. Health Class- A random alien disease that humans don't resist is placed in a random country.
12. Medicine Class- A cure to a human disease that humans don't know how to cure is placed in a random country.
13. I get to make something up on the spot. Trust me, you don't want me to roll this.
14. Tectonics- Some crazy tectonic plate movement happens somewhere. Bad stuff happens to the people on the fault lines!
15. Rapid Baconization- Part of a PC nation or possibly all of an NPC nation is turned into pigs.
16. Throwing rocks- A hellish meteor shower occurs somewhere in the world.
17. Bad luck for Italian Bureaucracy- Aliens practice primitive mind control devices. The world economy skyrockets from the increase of productivity.
18. Arrow to the knee- A gigantic space missile is fired into a random country.
19. Physics class- Earth gets pushed way out of orbit for a short duration of time. The impact will be huge, believe me...
20. All hell breaks loose- 3 rerolls (rerolling on 1s and 20s).

What do you guys think?

I'm still not sure which website I will host it on. Depends on where more interest is showed.

I have to say, that would certainly make an interesting NES.

I was thinking about doing a light NES in a few months. Cut down on the rules and states (my biggest failing with my previous one) in favour of story and moderator favouring "just-go-with-it" rules. The main setting and theme would be inspired by Fallen London and spin-off/parallel game Sunless Sea with a hint of Tropico, with players being governor's for colony islands. They would need to make the island successful, safe and sane.

I have latter plans for a more complex one, but this would help ease be in.

Hm. It seems interesting, but I'm not quite sure what it is or how to use it. Am I missing something?

A 3D NES map could definitely be useful. Think it could be easily adapted to display nations with user-defined borders?

You can put in any geographic coordinates you like for as many shapes as you like (and so could easily have a "states" layer). The two most useful functions to have that don't exist yet are a) the ability to define points by clicking on them rather than entering geographic coordinates through the behind-the-scenes input, and b) the ability to direct borders to follow the coastline rather than duplicating the shape of the coastline manually.

I'm developing a default "terrain" layer, too, but that's quite low even on my list of NESing priorities.

Still in development, but too interesting to keep to myself.

So, I’m thinking about starting my first nes. I've got the combat and basic rules mostly ironed out, and am currently playing around with maps and getting the economy sorted out. The general idea is very obviously inspired by EQcivfanatics’ Botwawki, and will ideally play in a somewhat similar way.

The world is very much DnD inspired fantasy, to the point where most of the creatures and monsters will be taken straight out of the monster manual. The setting is on one major island and a few surrounding satellite islands, with the small size hopefully forcing players to interact often. The players’ factions are small colonies sent from larger nations (the player will have little to no control over the mother country after application) who are vying for control of the island’s natural resources and unknown magical wonders. As in EQ’s Botwawki, focus will be on exploration, acquiring resources, creating new settlements and building up said settlements, as well as dealing with the always dangerous environment that DnD is known for. These non-player challenges are in the form of Events, which may affect a single faction (a tribe of kobolds hampers your mining), or have consequences across all the colonies (a player unwittingly unleashed a rampaging dragon).

It would be based heavily on stats, as that’s what I’m used to dealing with, meaning using resources to build or buy structures for settlements and equipment for your colonists. Also, as this would be very DnD-esque, players would have control of Heroes, who are of 5 or so (at the moment I’ve got Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue and Wizard figured out) classes that can be used to add bonuses to settlements, command armies, or tackle Events in ways unique to their specialties. Heroes would gain levels as they are used, increasing their effects.

While play will mostly be done in a very board game like fashion, the handling of events will hopefully add in story telling potential without forcing players to actually write stories. Also, for those who do wish to write, having characters that exist mechanically as Heroes could be a neat way to tie the player written stories to gameplay.

I’m still months off from launching it, and I’m not sure if it would have a better chance of survival on CFC or the Frontier (assuming nesing hasn’t died by the time I’m ready). I’m mostly just testing the waters on both sites.

So, anyone interested / have comments?

Was looking up old ffh nes's and the last one which had looked interesting but a bit too complicated. I also am currently running an FfH d&d campaign. These two things did get my wheels spinning though. I'm spit balling here so bear with me. Set in FfH world, what if each of the players had control of some kind of shipping business or pirate group or something, and they use gold to buy cargos and ships, generating more income by finding a making shipping deals or pirating. They start off small with say one ship, but as they grow they might form large guilds or corporations, like the Dutch East India Co. for instance. They start off picking their nation and compete for trade routes to foreign ports. I'd like to use an actual civ 4 map from Magistermod.

So would anyone be interested in playing a naval FfH NES?

Sounds interesting. What is FfH?

If you did go with something along the running a business line, I'd recommend taking a look at the old RebelNES style of ruleset, demonstrated in the following:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294340

There's been a few NESes like that, and I think the ruleset is particularly well suited to a private entity and development, with a few tweaks here and there. It's somewhat simple and easily adapted for other settings.

Top Bottom