Unit upgrade paths

Syntax Error

Prince
Found this and would like to share it. I haven't tested it yet as I haven't found the time and the game likes to troll me by suddenly turning the power of my computer off at inopportune moments.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/XRuHe.png

You can now upgrade to GDR's. Also, if you're China, your CKN's will probably be best if it stayed as Machine Guns. Your promotions will probably get wasted if you upgrade it to Mech Infantry.

Dotted line I guess means upgraded via ruins; grey line means an atypical upgrade path (due to being a UU)

Cool chart.

Anyone know what all the types of giftable-via-militaristic units are out there? Looking at this chart, it makes me wonder what broken combo you could get, if you were gifted a UU that you would then upgrade into your own UU later. Like receiving a Horse Archer as Genghis (would upgrade to Keshik and retain usefulness of archery perks) or many things in the swords/musket/rifle line

Anyone know what all the types of giftable-via-militaristic units are out there? Looking at this chart, it makes me wonder what broken combo you could get, if you were gifted a UU that you would then upgrade into your own UU later. Like receiving a Horse Archer as Genghis (would upgrade to Keshik and retain usefulness of archery perks) or many things in the swords/musket/rifle line

any unique unit in the game (outside of the ingame Civ ones - and naval units) are available for Militaristic CSs to gift.

It's also worth noting that in some cases, you lose bonuses when upgrading. Battering Rams (Str 10, 300% vs. cities) actually get worse when you upgrade them to Trebuchets (Str 14, 200% vs. cities). Something I was not very happy to learn when playing my first game as the Huns.

It's also worth noting that in some cases, you lose bonuses when upgrading. Battering Rams (Str 10, 300% vs. cities) actually get worse when you upgrade them to Trebuchets (Str 14, 200% vs. cities). Something I was not very happy to learn when playing my first game as the Huns.

Good that I read this before I played as Huns.
However, I also learned hard way that Byzantine uu do not take there advantage with upgrades eather. When upgraded to Knights and Galleas they lose advantege for city attack (back from to 25 to 33% penalty) and 50 % bonus against other sea units. So you just get regular units after this. I think this is bad decision. I would like that any UU ability get transfered with as many upgrades as you can (untill the unit surrvive) as it was in plain CivV. Any thoughts of this. Any support to pressure developers to change this:)

However, from what I read the Koreans have it good! Upgrade a Catapult to a Hwacha, and you have a 1-range, 26 strength unit with 200% bonus damage to cities!

O God, from Horse Archer to GDR!

The Pikeman => Lancer => Anti-Tank Gun => Helicopter Gunship upgrade path just bugs me because infantry => fast attack => infantry => fast attack just seems odd. If they were going upgrade the pikeman to fast attack why not commit and have a tank destroyer (have it opened topped so it can be easily identified as not a tank) instead of a Anti-Tank Gun?
So infantry => fast attack => fast attack => fast attack.

The Pikeman => Lancer => Anti-Tank Gun => Helicopter Gunship upgrade path just bugs me because infantry => fast attack => infantry => fast attack just seems odd. If they were going upgrade the pikeman to fast attack why not commit and have a tank destroyer (have it opened topped so it can be easily identified as not a tank) instead of a Anti-Tank Gun?
So infantry => fast attack => fast attack => fast attack.

Anti-Tank Gun IS a tank destroyer.

This upgrade path can also be read as anti-cavalry => anti-cavalry => anti-tank => anti-tank. As mounted units upgrade to tanks, it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. In my opinion.

This upgrade path can also be read as anti-cavalry => anti-cavalry => anti-tank => anti-tank. As mounted units upgrade to tanks, it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. In my opinion.

The problem I think he's trying to point out is that tanks can just 'go around' AT guns and leave MGs or anything else to clean them out.

That's unlike the jump to Lancer (or to Helicopter) where they can catch up and not just be a defensive hold type unit.

No, the anti-tank gun is infantry with a towed gun. Tank destroyers are a class of vehicles that we much more lightly armored than tanks (and concequently faster) that carried large anti-armor cannons; they were popular during WWII but were often misused by commanders thinking they could be used like tanks. Like the Hellcat. It's a much more logical progression: from anti-fast attacker fast attacker to like to like than what we have now.

I really really really really really wish they would put the Horse Archer, Camel Archer and Keshik on the Archer path after you are done with them.

=(

They really need to fix the upgrade paths for the spear units. Lancer is ok for renaissance and early industrial but infantry and Calvary get 2 upgrades before it does and the AT- gun is not strong or fast so its a junky upgrade. THey should fold back into infantry at GWI. Then they lose that massive dip in effectivness and stay decent. Or they need a new unit to bridge the gap.

Chariot archers should upgrade into ranged line. They would then need a nerf to strength a bit probably. Still have them go to crossbowman so they can keep upgrades and be worthwhile. No defensive bonuses and need for horses will be enough fo them to not always be taken, along with rough terrain movement. It would also boost the Indian and Egyptian civs by improving their UUs greatly.

They also need a unit between frigate and Battleship, or move B-ship down a bit. Frigates should not span 3 eras.

Tank destroyers are a class of vehicles that we much more lightly armored than tanks (and concequently faster) that carried large anti-armor cannons; they were popular during WWII but were often misused by commanders thinking they could be used like tanks. Like the Hellcat. It's a much more logical progression: from anti-fast attacker fast attacker to like to like than what we have now.

Only true of US tank destroyers - many of the German tank destroyers had a lot of armour and weren't fast at all, though the most common one (the StuG) was a compromise. I think tank destroyers in general (especially the ones with turrets instead of casemates) are near enough to tanks to not really require a unique unit to represent them.

To the thread in general, I think that when a unit gets upgraded to a unit of another class, it should have all its promotions refunded. It's stupid having to disband experienced units or leave them obsolete because their promotions will be worthless when they upgrade.

I haven't tested it yet as I haven't found the time and the game likes to troll me by suddenly turning the power of my computer off at inopportune moments.

There's a strong likelihood your processor is overheating. If you investigate it now, you "might" be able to spend less money on fans than later melted components...

Had a game as Sweden where I got a neighboring city-state that gifted me Janissaries. Needless to say my Janissary-Caroleans had a fun time overrrunning the world.

Top Bottom