Assyrian Siege Towers: Amazing

Hate you americans. :gripe:

Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Kidding of course :lol: but seriously stop torturing us :( :D

Hehe... just got home from picking up my copy of BNW... :D
Don't worry, you still have 3 more days... just hold out a little longer for them international civvers.

• When near an enemy city, they provide all other units within 2 tiles with a 50% boost against that city (ranged, melee, whatever)

I'm expecting a nerf here. I do hope that the bonus is only for attacks against the city and not for all attacks the units in range are making. But even then 50% seems a bit too much (for comparison: a GG gives 15% yo).
Does a tower give the bonus to another tower? So with two towers you'd pretty much roll over any city up to the renaissance easily. :lol:

I'm expecting a nerf here. I do hope that the bonus is only for attacks against the city and not for all attacks the units in range are making. But even then 50% seems a bit too much (for comparison: a GG gives 15% yo).
Does a tower give the bonus to another tower? So with two towers you'd pretty much roll over any city up to the renaissance easily. :lol:

Haha siege towers boosting siege towers boosting siege towers... now that would be dangerous (I'm sure it's not the case, unless someone at Firaxis made a horrible mistake!).

Is the early lack of gold really severe enough that you can't leverage the Assyrian UA to its full effect?

Unless you're lucky enough to get something like salt early, your only gold is going to come from trade routes until you get trading posts up and running. Being a warmonger means less places you can send trade routes and more chances for them to get plundered. Having to take the time to build caravans/cargo ships takes away hammers from building a military. And good luck supporting a military without trade routes.

So yes, I'd say the early lack of gold definitely presents a challenge to civs like Assyria and the Huns who are trying to do an early rush.

Haha siege towers boosting siege towers boosting siege towers... now that would be dangerous (I'm sure it's not the case, unless someone at Firaxis made a horrible mistake!).
"His Siege Tower's strength is OVER 9,000!!??1 How is that POSSIBLE???" :aargh: (sry I had to do it... :lol:)

Edit: the reason, of course, is his magical beard. ;)

Unless you're lucky enough to get something like salt early, your only gold is going to come from trade routes until you get trading posts up and running. Being a warmonger means less places you can send trade routes and more chances for them to get plundered. Having to take the time to build caravans/cargo ships takes away hammers from building a military. And good luck supporting a military without trade routes.

So yes, I'd say the early lack of gold definitely presents a challenge to civs like Assyria and the Huns who are trying to do an early rush.

I don't doubt that this is true however the siege tower does mitigate this to an extent. As (I think) PhilBowles stated, having the siege towers cut the usual army size required to take cities by a significant amount. Smaller, more effective army = less expenditure on military = less reliance on trade with the civ you're invading.

Just to be clear I don't think the siege tower is good enough to counter all the issues of early invasion, I'm just saying it does a pretty good job of making it easier :)

I love these things myself - they've been great. The big weakness, like Rams, is "Can't attack melee".

When combined with no defensive bonuses, these things fall like flies to any melee units, even basic ones like Spearmen. Against the AI this tends to be pretty easy to manage, but in MP the combats are very interesting.

I just want to confirm the thing about making sure you beeline with Ashurbanipal.

I made the mistake of NOT doing this and then invading Monty's capital after he DoWed me.

Once I took Tenochtitlan, I did not get a free tech, grrrrr. To add insult to injury, Monty's capital is one of the worst city locations I've seen in a long time. Next to a lake with 1 sugar and 1 cow nearby. I actually puppeted it (no wonders, either).

And the siege tower was awesome surrounded by my CB's. I woulda had 2 of them, but someone beat me to Terracotta Army...

The library replacement doesn't provide a science bonus. The only difference is that it has a great writing slot, and when that's filled it provides +10xp to all units built there.

It's an awkward building, since the effect would be most useful before you get barracks for the first promotion, but you're unlikely to get a great work that early.

How about this?

1. Beeline Drama and Poetry ("As Assyria?" I hear you cry. Well, YES. As Assyria. Seriously). Get a royal library (or the GL if you are on prince or lower) when you discover Writing.
2. Build a Writers' Guild while beelining Mathematics.
3. Start building your army once you get the Great Work slot filled, including the towers once you've got maths.

Top Bottom