Bug: Great Library doesn't give certain Techs

On the higher levels, it's a common occurance that you capture the Great Library after 2 or more other Civs know Education already, thus you can get advanced techs when you own the Great Library for one turn; you also get Education, so the GL obsoletes the very same turn.
To maximize this, you can even avoid Education deliberatedly, stay in Monarchy, head towards Miitary Tradition, and conquer the GL with your Cavalries (works extremly well with those Civs with Cav-based UUs).
Have done this multiple times in ptw, and it always yielded the expected result.
Note it is possible that several Civs are one Tech ahead of you when you can check for the first time (AI research phase is between your production and active turn), it even is possible that exactly 2 Civs know exactly the same 2 Techs you didn't get.

Now, in c3c the Great Library works different - in such an odd way, that I'd call it a bug:

1) You get all available mandatory Techs; if you're missing an advanced Tech, the logical explanation is above.

2) You sometimes don't get all non-required Techs of that era you end in after the GL effect, like Democracy, Printing Press, etc. (It happened to me that I didn't get any of them except Navigation, despite 4 AI Civs knowing demo, eco, PP, but where still in the MA)

3) You get all non-required Techs of completed eras, like Republic/ Monarchy, or the plethora of MA ones later, except....

4) You never seem to get Music Theory.

I can provide several saves to confirm that, but my main question is:

Has someone ever gotten Music Theory from a c3c Great Library?

Can you provide the save? :) Maybe the AI didn't research those techs. Provide a save the turn before you captured the Great Library.

What! You don't trust me? ;)

Oh well....

(Both saves are from the end of the turn I captured the Library)

1)

GLib1

Make peace with Spain, throw in 500g and get Education, check Diplomacy: Everyone knows Music Theory.

Reload, be sure to turn of animations (!), end turn. The GL will give you all Techs except Music Theory.

2)

GLib2

F7 reveals 3 Civs are already building Bach's. End turn. GL happens.

At least 3 Civs (English won't talk, but they should be as advanced as the other big 3), are still up Music Theory, Democracy and Metallurgy.
Consistent with several other games: MT isn't given as usual, and Demo is optional, and I suppose 2 of the Civs researched Metallurgy this turn.

And, before you ask, I'm 100% sure it didn't work that way in ptw; unfortunately, I don't have a save here, but I once rushed Bach's the next turn with a Leader I got from capturing the GLib city.

Doc, would you happen to have the saves still? They seem to have dropped off the Uploads6 server along with quite a lot of other files :(

Uh, Education nullifies the effect of the Great Library. This might not be a problem...

This is a noticeable bug for those who play on the higher levels and deliberately wait till several civilizations have Steam Power then capture the GL in hopes of avoiding researching the middle age techs. It never gives Music Theory even when you know several civilizations have been building JS Bachs.

Considering how Great Library used to work it does sound a little odd.
However if anything is going to be fixed about this in the future, I suspect it is going to be that you wont receive ANY tech(s) from Great Library that comes after the tech that cancels Great Library.

True, I'd never ask for anything new to the way the GLib works, I just fail to understand why something was changed at all... and if there would have been an easy way to return to the ptw model, I was hoping to see it in 1.22.
Nevertheless, this definetely is none of the major issues that must be fixed ASAP.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Isak, I'm pretty sure to have the saves somwhere, do you still need them? Or do you just believe me it's exactly as described... ;)

I would like to have them, if you still have them around. Of course, you know I don't believe a word you say.. ;) :D

Top Bottom