7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

Can't see well enough to tell if they have shields or not.

I'm hoping somebody soon will have versions of the screenshots that aren't so screwed up.

The units look imho totally like the Civ4 Oromo warriors.

I know when the AI captures a city-state, that the city-state icon still appears on the city's nameplate, so that you can tell that you can liberate it. I believe it's the same case with captured capitals. They retain the capital icon so that you know that you can resurrect the civ by liberating the city. If it were the Hun's city, it would be their capital and would have the capital icon on the nameplate. Right?

No, that's not correct. I often take capitals and rename them...then promptly forget they were someone's capital. There's no indication marker like there is for CityStates.

Originally Posted by AriochIV

Can't see well enough to tell if they have shields or not.
I'm hoping somebody soon will have versions of the screenshots that aren't so screwed up.
Looks like Zulu Impi to me but its hard to tell.

The new expansion pack looks interesting. Hopefully they will make some changes within the standard Civ V game as well. (meaning nerf hanging gardens/great wall) etc.

-AwesoMe

The more I hear, the less I like. I hope it's good, but man, that's an ugly Boudicca screen. Dido may or may not have actually existed (and if she is real, she's not actually named Dido). However, what has me most concerned is:
"more flexibility in stacking units, though don't expect the classic "stack of doom" to return." (Joystiq)
What? I don't need, or even really want, more flexible unit stacking. The entire game is built around the 1UPT system, and it works (really well! It's one of my favorite changes from Civ4). Also, the fact that only around 1/2 of civs can have their own religion concerns me. I guess I'll wait and see, but I'm a little less optimistic with these new details.
Also, the Huns never had a city called "Court of Atilla", or "Atilla's Court". So whatever reason they had for naming that city what they did, I don't think it really confirms the Huns (I hope it doesn't, at least. We already have a powerful horse focused civ with a ranged horse unit as a UU, which is pretty much exactly what the Huns are.)

Intruiging.
Although Oromo Warriors in Civ4 were musketman, when I do a Google Image search I find pictures like this:

which looks a bit like it (or maybe it's my imagination :lol:)

but Ethiopia would be cool and make sense, with religion in the game and all.

On the map containing 'Attila's Court' there are 5 civs. This seems unusual to me.

Attilas court is on the largest of landmasses are spread fairly evenly between Dutch and Carthage.

Unfortunately, all the evidence seems to be pointing to the Huns being a terrible civ.

Regarding the anonymous spearmen too, observe the second group of them at the bottom left:

They don't look African to me (particularly the one man directly below the symbol). His face seems much paler, so i'm guessing Mayan spearmen/pikemen

Intruiging.
Although Oromo Warriors in Civ4 were musketman, when I do a Google Image search I find pictures like this:

which looks a bit like it (or maybe it's my imagination :lol:)

but Ethiopia would be cool and make sense, with religion in the game and all.

I would rather have them as a musket unit though.

True Candyman: ,
They make all these images in FireTuner. So the size of the continents, number of civs on a map, etc, have nothing to do with what you'd get in an actual game. So there's still hope that this is all just one big misunderstanding :).
Furthermore, I don't see why a Hunnic city would be captured, as that seems like a rather odd way to introduce them (especially since "Atilla's Court" is not the name of any Hunnic city).

The would not use unfinished material in a staged screenshot, Attila's Court is probably a name that will be appearing in the game. I'd bet on a city state, as the Hun's didn't have any (other) notable cities.
And I agree that the visible units are not Impis, they are just wishful thinking, but rather the Mayan Holkans.

The more I hear, the less I like. I hope it's good, but man, that's an ugly Boudicca screen. Dido may or may not have actually existed (and if she is real, she's not actually named Dido). However, what has me most concerned is:
"more flexibility in stacking units, though don't expect the classic "stack of doom" to return." (Joystiq)
What? I don't need, or even really want, more flexible unit stacking. The entire game is built around the 1UPT system, and it works (really well! It's one of my favorite changes from Civ4). Also, the fact that only around 1/2 of civs can have their own religion concerns me. I guess I'll wait and see, but I'm a little less optimistic with these new details.
Also, the Huns never had a city called "Court of Atilla", or "Atilla's Court". So whatever reason they had for naming that city what they did, I don't think it really confirms the Huns (I hope it doesn't, at least. We already have a powerful horse focused civ with a ranged horse unit as a UU, which is pretty much exactly what the Huns are.)

This could just be the "ships can stack with an embarked unit" thing that was already mentioned.

So I figure the changes that Joystiq mentioned with regards to 1UPT are about that embarked unit stacking that I remember reading about earlier.

A good thing to keep in mind is that general gaming journalists will probably not have the same attention to detail about Civ as we do.

True Candyman: ,
They make all these images in FireTuner. So the size of the continents, number of civs on a map, etc, have nothing to do with what you'd get in an actual game. So there's still hope that this is all just one big misunderstanding :).
Furthermore, I don't see why a Hunnic city would be captured, as that seems like a rather odd way to introduce them (especially since "Atilla's Court" is not the name of any Hunnic city).

II hope to god you are right, the Huns seems such a waste when there are so many other cool candidates!!!

At this rate the next civ could well be the space nazis.

II hope to god you are right, the Huns seems such a waste when there are so many other cool candidates!!!

At this rate the next civ could well be the space nazis.

Huns fit with Rome scenario.
Huns fit with Tengrism.
Huns fit with the new composite bow.
Huns are Asiatic in an already heavily Euro cast of civilizations.

The Mongols came a good 1000 years after the Huns so it isn't far fetched to consider they have a place. Consider a horseman/chariot archer UU.

The story of sedentary cities fighting nomadic pastoralists is one of the dominant patterns in world history.

The idea may be that Attila's retinue would gather around him and travel with him. So the center of the Hun's society is not a particular place but wherever their leader is. Maybe the Huns are going to have some unique limitations when it comes to cities as a result of their nomadism.

Also Keshiks come in the Medieval period, there is room for an earlier ranged horse. (Egyptian war chariots don't quite cut it.)

Priscus, who wrote the "History of Byzantium" books was a diplomat for the Byzantines. He spent some time at Attila's court. It's feasible (though I admit unlikely) that this is a Byzantine city. There was mention of Theodora plotting against Dido (if it's the same demo being watched), so could it be that they dared to plant a city on Carthage's borders and that it got captured by Carthage?

On stacking, I say they permit multiple melee and ranged units in cities to increase defense and take shots at attackers. All would die if the city is taken.

Would seem to balance the issue of fast combat that they are trying to correct.

Also, the fact that only around 1/2 of civs can have their own religion concerns me.

I rather like this one, because of some of the abilities we saw in the first set of screenshots and for the diplomatic connotations. What good would it be to take the faith ability to get a bonus against a city with your religion, if all 10 civs can have their own religion? With only half the civs being able to found a religion, that means the other half would likely end up as followers of that religion. This also ties into the difference between found and follower beliefs.

Not look at the diplomatic side of this. My civ founds a religion and spreads it to the neighboring civ. The civ on the other side of them founds a different religion. I spend the faith to get missionaries to help spread the religion to my neighbor's cities faster. Neither of us cares much for the civ with that other religion, so it bring us closer and increases the chance I can get my neighbor to fight them for me or even with me.

This also means we won't see every religion in every game.

So I think this is a welcome change to how religions were founded and worked in Civ 4.

A seamless transition! :p

I love seeing how people get excited over every new screenshot, but reading through this thread I see a couple of... outlandish inferences.

Those units in the religion screenshot are almost certainly Mayan UUs: both from their symbol and the lack of distinctive Zulu shields.

It also seems that there is a trench infantry, confirming suspicions of a more modern WW2 infantry unit from the first batch of screenshots. Probably imaginatively called "World War One Infantry". I do hope Firaxis comes up with some better names before release! :)

The evidence for the Huns seems relatively convincing, though, I'm a little disappointed to admit.

Yeah, I think it's crazy that, with the Mayans confirmed and not a peep about the Zulu, people think a unit that has a fairly clearly Meso-American design on the icon is somehow confirmation of the Zulu.

Am I the only person who won't be upset by anyone who gets included? I mean, on the presumption that they have interesting UA/UU/UB/UI going on.

Like if the Zulu get added? Awesome.
If the Ethiopians get added? Awesome.
If Indonesia gets added? Awesome.
If the Huns are added? Awesome.

What I know I'm getting is 9 civs, and I'm far more concerned with the gameplay impacts of their design than I am about what names they get.

If the Zulu are added, I would not be horribly disappointed. I think there are better picks, but they are a traditional one.

Top Bottom