7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

I'm not thrilled about this "limited stacking" idea. It's better than the Stack of Doom, but if not properly done, it could destroy the fun tactics of Civ V. I suppose it's hard to judge it until we know more about it though.

Looks Great! I am a little disappointed with Dido though-I was expecting Hannibal on an elephant as the Carthaginian leaderscreen

If you're referring to the new unit unlocked with Penicillin, I already posted that I think it's a Marine and others have said Guerrilla. I still say Marine, because both Civ 3 and Civ 4 had Marine units and neither had a unit called Guerrilla. In Civ 4, Guerrilla was one of the promotion types. In Civ 4 the Marine had a bonus vs Machine Guns. So with the addition of Machine Guns, I'd put my money on that unit being a Marine.

Great! Monthar what about the screenshot with the Great Admiral, does the ship represent him or is it a new ship? Have you heard anything about that yet?

I think the ship is him and it only looks like a destroyer because of the era that screenshot is in.

You have no idea how excited I am. I just want the EP to come out nowwwwwwww.

But anyways, I love the art for the wonders. And I like Dido being the Carthaginian leader, and the over all increase in female leaders. It's quite welcomed here :)

I am just wondering about those two UNCs (Un-identified New Civs) that are in those shots. The light blue and the tan/light brown civs are perplexing. I, personally, am gonna bet that the brown one is an African civ (Ethiopia, Zulu, Congo, etc.) and the light blue is the Maya (based on their colors from Civ4).

How do you know that? If its true sign me up.

Complete wishful thinking. :)

9 new civs seems like an odd number. There could be a 10th civ, or maybe they worked on 12 civs with 3 for DLC.

"limited stacking" worries me. Hopefully it's just for naval units and civilian units (worker vs. GG, etc.)

"Limited stacking" has me worried. I really hope thats only for naval units and civilians, melee + ranged unit stacking would suck, it would make the mounted units even more useless than they are now

"Limited stacking" is almost undoubtedly referring to the new embarked unit / naval unit stacking they've already talked about.

Looks Great! I am a little disappointed with Dido though-I was expecting Hannibal on an elephant as the Carthaginian leaderscreen

Yeah, how cool would that be?

I'm hoping people eventually manage to get animated leaders. If so, that's the first thing I'd want someone to make.

I've posted this in the other thread. The Joystiq article is up too. You can read it in its entirety below.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/08/civilization-5-gods-and-kings-devs-discuss-community-driven-cha/

Crossbows can now become gatling gunners, which then become machine gunners.

A seamless transition! :p

I love seeing how people get excited over every new screenshot, but reading through this thread I see a couple of... outlandish inferences.

Those units in the religion screenshot are almost certainly Mayan UUs: both from their symbol and the lack of distinctive Zulu shields.

It also seems that there is a trench infantry, confirming suspicions of a more modern WW2 infantry unit from the first batch of screenshots. Probably imaginatively called "World War One Infantry". I do hope Firaxis comes up with some better names before release! :)

The evidence for the Huns seems relatively convincing, though, I'm a little disappointed to admit.

Little disappointed that they didn't have the Advisers change per era and also that they still seem to be nothing but spam an no "personality" at all.

I do hope that Infantry type of unit on Penicillin is a strong unit, giving more of a reason to explore the top of the tech tree in the modern era...other than going for a diplo victory obviously. If it is a guerrilla unit, I hope it has the ability to hide in jungle/forest tiles, with either a strong defensive promotion or strong attack modifier for attacking out of a jungle/forest tile.

At least crossbowmen can now be updated without turning into melee units, which is something that's IMO been needed for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if "Attila's Court" is a temporary name. It sounds more like stage instructions than a city: "Meanwhile, in Attila's Court, the Huns are plotting to take over the world" etc.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but the idea of having a city with a name like that is so awful that I can't quite believe it's going to end up being a final fixture.

I know when the AI captures a city-state, that the city-state icon still appears on the city's nameplate, so that you can tell that you can liberate it. I believe it's the same case with captured capitals. They retain the capital icon so that you know that you can resurrect the civ by liberating the city. If it were the Hun's city, it would be their capital and would have the capital icon on the nameplate. Right?

Top Bottom