Enhancements for Civilization: future editions

Atlanti5

Chieftain
These are just some ideas I've had over the years while playing Civilization 5, without expansions, that I think would enhance gameplay in future Civilization releases (VI or VII.) Not all of these were my idea, but I would greatly appreciate feedback. I wanted to send this list directly to firaxis but cant find their email.
-Architectural Academy: a building necessary to build architectural wonders like taj mahal, sisteen chapel, golden gate bridge, empire state building, notre dame etc. (1 per civilization)
-Spies/Assassins (intelligence agencies): spies can see production of enemy cities, destroy buildings, kill military units. All while unseen. (Effectiveness of spies increased by creating an intelligence agency) spy missions cost gold not spy points.
-Space exploration/ colonization age: Mars mission wonder, terraforming technology, terraforming machines, starships (both to carry units to other planets and to wage war in space)
Essentially, you would build starships and load them with settlers and terraforming machines, then launch them. The next turn the starship appears on the space screen, you fly around and find a viable planet and land. The next turn, you find your ship on that planet, and you proceed to terraform and colonize it just as you did with the first planet. Naturally this era would have to have all sorts of new technologies to accompany it.
-Neutrality: country can declare neutrality, not allowed to declare war until 20 turns after neutrality repealed but being neutral increases happiness and reduces chance of other civs declaring war on neutral country
-Selling/Buying units and technologies with other civs
-mercenaries: any unit can get mercenary promotion, can make deal with other civ to give mercenaries for certain amount of turns for a predetermined cost. Have to pay fee for units killed in battle while being mercenaries
-Space weapons: space based nuclear or other weapons that can instantly hit anything anywhere on the map
-H-Bombs: more damage, larger damage radius that nuclear missiles, but less fallout
-fallout damages population of nearby cities and any military units until cleaned up.
-Chemical weapons: poison surrounding land for 2 turns damaging all units and killing 10% population in cities per turn
-useful UN: the united nations can be used to make actual decisions that involve multiple civilizations and even go to war
-Research vessels: work boats that produce science
-Ice Breakers: make way for other vessels through ice that stays open for 3 turns
-Natural Disasters: destroy improvements, reduce population, break bulidings (meteor strikes, volcanic explosions, hurricanes...) these get worse and more frequent with global warming
-global warming: melts ice and increases temperature of planet. Creates unhappiness and increases natural disasters. Can be averted by reforestation, solar and hydro plants, and ecology policy (part of the rationalism policy tree)
-Civs dont hold grudges for so long
-Game speed only affects research and culture acquisition speed-production times stay the same
-More Civilizations
-War engineers: workers who can destroy or build improvements in enemy territory. Can build temporary forts
-Science and happiness from undeveloped land in modern/future era: to simulate the whole green movement
-Military/missile bases as improvements: can station aircraft and missiles and units.
-land based missile carrying units
-Unit stacking to 3 only in cities and military bases
-Canals: improvements like roads that allow passage of naval units through land and are trade routes like roads and rivers
-Submarines visible once every ten turns: they have to surface sometimes!
-Submarines ignore borders: but war can be declared if discovered by enemy submarines or destroyers while in enemy territory
-Radar technology
: makes submarines visible by all military units, but only in a 2-3 tile radius
-deep sea submarine: invisible to everything when in an ocean (deep water) tile. Even destroyers and regular submarines, but not other deep sea submarines. Specialized in carrying missiles and sinking destroyers. Can be made to do research (automated like exploring) which produces science.
-sniper: ranged unit that can shoot from five tiles away
-bombers need bomb factories in the cities in which they are stationed in order to perform bombing missions
-US special unit: marines, they're cooler than minutemen
-ability to combine expansions and play with aspects from multiple expansions

Architectural academy: I'm sorry, but this first idea is horrible. I actually saw this and thought, "oh no, I hope the rest of the list isn't like this." You'd need it to be available from pretty much one of the first techs, which would probably end up making it a tech that doesn't make sense. I actually think I might hate this idea.
Spies: they've been added over the last couple games in expansions. Civ 1 had diplomats available without expansions, since it didn't have any, but those were different. I've never played 2 or 3, so I don't know about those. And using espionage points is actually a great system.
Space exploration: I actually like this idea, but it would probably be in an expansion.
Neutrality: not bad.
Buying/selling units/technology: not bad.
Mercenaries: not ba-wait a minute. Paying a fee for killing units while a mercenary? No, you cut that out right now.
Space weapons: why not? Same as space exploration.
H-bombs: same
Fallout damage: not bad
Chemical weapons: not bad
Useful UN: yeah
Research vessels: I guess? I mean, you don't really need a brand new workboat for that. Maybe just a workboat option to do that near ice or something.
Ice breakers: not bad
Natural disasters: I like random events, yeah
Global warming: ugh. The global warming where grass tiles dry up is annoying enough. I don't loke this idea. I also never liked Captain Planet as a kid.
Shorter grudges: yeah
Game speed doesn't affect production: I'm not sure why anyone would propose this. Longer game speeds translate to shorter intervals in years, so more production turns makes sense. It might not make sense to still take hundreds of years to build a monument, but you can't base everything on one counter-example. Maybe these games should automatically be bigger, too, just so unit movement is treated the same.
More civilizations: yeah
War engineers: don't need a special class of worker for that
Science/happiness from undeveloped land: maybe with civ 4's natural park
Base improvements: sure
Land based missile carrying: sure
Specific stacking requirements: eh, maybe. Not sure how I feel about this. I do miss stacking units sometimes. I guess we'll go with maybe.
Canals: just build a city on an isthmus.
Submarines: they're perfect now.
Radar: okay
Deep sea submarine: no on the name. Actually, like I said before, submarines are perfect as is and you don't need a specific work boat for research.
Sniper: wow. The scale is off for most sniper ideas, but this is just going overboard. Bombers need bomb factories: why? This seems kind of pointless.
Marine unique unit: people seemed to not like the navy seal in civ 4, which was a unique marine. I liked it just fine, but yeah, maybe it just needed to be stronger.
Combine expansions: you mean from previous titles? Might be fun. I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

So yeah, some of these ideas are good, some of them I actually kind of hate.

These are just some ideas I've had over the years while playing Civilization 5, without expansions, that I think would enhance gameplay in future Civilization releases (VI or VII.) Not all of these were my idea, but I would greatly appreciate feedback. I wanted to send this list directly to firaxis but cant find their email.
Post here! They read this. ;)

-Architectural Academy: a building necessary to build architectural wonders like taj mahal, sisteen chapel, golden gate bridge, empire state building, notre dame etc. (1 per civilization)
Sorry, not a fan of more buildings to build more buildings. It's not fun.

-Spies/Assassins (intelligence agencies): spies can see production of enemy cities, destroy buildings, kill military units. All while unseen. (Effectiveness of spies increased by creating an intelligence agency) spy missions cost gold not spy points.
Kill units makes them too powerful but I am in favor of the rest of the spy actions. I think they should be paid for with spy points though. (And more things should generate spy points!) Bring back some of the old spy actions!

-Space exploration/ colonization age: Mars mission wonder, terraforming technology, terraforming machines, starships (both to carry units to other planets and to wage war in space)
Essentially, you would build starships and load them with settlers and terraforming machines, then launch them. The next turn the starship appears on the space screen, you fly around and find a viable planet and land. The next turn, you find your ship on that planet, and you proceed to terraform and colonize it just as you did with the first planet. Naturally this era would have to have all sorts of new technologies to accompany it.
Mod yes, change to Civ no. I think it would make the game too big. Also, Civ doesn't like to venture past the modern era.

-Neutrality: country can declare neutrality, not allowed to declare war until 20 turns after neutrality repealed but being neutral increases happiness and reduces chance of other civs declaring war on neutral country
Your neutrality is based on what you do, not what you declare. I am for more methods to show that you are neutral and/or involved in the conflict, but a declaration of neutrality.

-Selling/Buying units and technologies with other civs
Trade tech resulted in too rapid trade exchange between players historically in past civs. I think research agreements are better methods for this.

Buying units is too complicated to pull off. Maybe have international arms trades where you sell the arms but the opponent provides the troops. So, the one country can build the units at 50% of the time and can build units they can't normally do.

-mercenaries: any unit can get mercenary promotion, can make deal with other civ to give mercenaries for certain amount of turns for a predetermined cost. Have to pay fee for units killed in battle while being mercenaries
I like the idea of mercs- just not THIS idea of mercs.

Why does a unit have to have a merc promotion?
Who decides whether the units will fight in other areas. (It sounds as if the units decide for themselves.)
I think the mercs should come from city states. I think there more play to come from that idea.

-Space weapons: space based nuclear or other weapons that can instantly hit anything anywhere on the map
What's the range of the nuke missile? I forget. Past games had the ICBM that had global reach.

-H-Bombs: more damage, larger damage radius that nuclear missiles, but less fallout
-fallout damages population of nearby cities and any military units until cleaned up.
Don't think we need more nuke weapons other than the Sub launched Tactical Nukes. Got that covered.

-Chemical weapons: poison surrounding land for 2 turns damaging all units and killing 10% population in cities per turn
Chemical isn't important enough to be added IMO.

-useful UN: the united nations can be used to make actual decisions that involve multiple civilizations and even go to war
Agreed- but what?
-Research vessels: work boats that produce science
I don't think it is necessary.

-Ice Breakers: make way for other vessels through ice that stays open for 3 turns
Hmmm... Don't want to do this with boats but think there might be a better way.

-Natural Disasters: destroy improvements, reduce population, break bulidings (meteor strikes, volcanic explosions, hurricanes...) these get worse and more frequent with global warming
Doesn't sound fun to me!

-global warming: melts ice and increases temperature of planet. Creates unhappiness and increases natural disasters. Can be averted by reforestation, solar and hydro plants, and ecology policy (part of the rationalism policy tree)
Not popular in past civs.

-Civs dont hold grudges for so long
IMO civs get mad for no reasons. I want to know WHY a civ is denouncing me!

-War engineers: workers who can destroy or build improvements in enemy territory. Can build temporary forts
I like combat engineers. Why do you need to have them destroy units? Any unit can pillage.

-Science and happiness from undeveloped land in modern/future era: to simulate the whole green movement
I think the green movement causes unhappiness. ;)

-Military/missile bases as improvements: can station aircraft and missiles and units.
I miss those from past civs.

-land based missile carrying units
What do you mean?

-Canals: improvements like roads that allow passage of naval units through land and are trade routes like roads and rivers
I am for a full canal implementation with military, trade and diplomatic implications.

-Submarines visible once every ten turns: they have to surface sometimes!
No, Modern Subs don't have to surface until they run out of food. They recycle their own air and water.

-Submarines ignore borders: but war can be declared if discovered by enemy submarines or destroyers while in enemy territory
I like this one.

-Radar technology
: makes submarines visible by all military units, but only in a 2-3 tile radius
Do you mean sonar? Radar can't detect modern subs. And having all units detect subs means they don't have any value. I am for have the Destroyers cruisers, and subs being the only ones capable of detecting subs.

-deep sea submarine: invisible to everything when in an ocean (deep water) tile. Even destroyers and regular submarines, but not other deep sea submarines. Specialized in carrying missiles and sinking destroyers. Can be made to do research (automated like exploring) which produces science.
Deep sea subs are not used militarily. I don't think you should have a science producing unit like this.

-sniper: ranged unit that can shoot from five tiles away
too powerful. And snipers aren't important enough to have their own unit. They work better in other groups.

-bombers need bomb factories in the cities in which they are stationed in order to perform bombing missions
No more buildings to build things. They're not fun!
[/quote]

Top Bottom