Warmonger penalty never leaves.

That's really the way to do it as the Huns.

Heh, yeah, my next game is the Zulus but I'm not far from the Huns who just defeated the Romans in a short space of time. Those battering rams have a 300% combat bonus against cities, so about 40 damage against cities that would barely have 10 defence points. I may have a bad decision in exploring. I did so in case I suddenly encountered an expansive civ.

I'll keep going for now and get an army of impis, aiming for autocracy path. Then again, I need a heck of a lot of culture and tourism.

Well, they will only hate you if they have some powers to back it up. Otherwise you'll scare the crap out of them.
On one game me (Venice), Ottomans, Brazil, Byzantine, Indonesia and Carthage were a big happy family, trading and RAs all the time, heck, I even gave them money so that we can start RA as soon as the old one expired. The other two are Monty, who everyone hated and denounced (who doesnt) and Genghis, who got wiped off the earth by Brazil. No biggie, we're best buddies, we couldnt hate each other over something as trivial as genocide, right. Then:
- Ottomans suddenly denounced me (he expanded right at my border, and declined DoF for a while now, so that's to be expected). Well, I was the victim here, so I denounced him back, expecting my best friends to back me up.
- Turned out Brazil and Byzantine had "utmost respect for Ottomans", and sided with him. Only Carthage's with me on this one. Indonesia had no comment.
- Byzantine and Indonesia picked up Autocracy, which's my choice, so they quickly changed their opinion and joined my faction.
- All Civ denounced each other all over the map.
- Everyone still hated Monty.
All of this happened in a mere 3 turns. After that I obliterated Ottomans while Carthage got wiped out by Brazil. I'm only labeled as a warmonger by Brazil and Monty, including the time when I broke the promise not to attack Ottomans when I deployed my troops near his border. After I took another 3 cities of Brazil (which all belonged to Carthage before), then everybody recognized me as a warmonger, but then by that time Indonesia and Byzantine were too scared of my might that they couldnt utter a single word.
So yeah, point is if you built a long-lasting friendship since the beginning, chances are you're off the hook somehow.
Also, it seems that taking their cities through peace agreement dont count as warmongering. Anyone can confirm this?

Top Bottom