Can't build floating gardens next to Lake Victoria :-(

robbie380

Chieftain
I was disappointed to see that I couldn't build them. Any reason why they don't let the Aztecs build the floating gardens next to this massive lake?

Nobody can build any "fresh water" buildings or tiles next to it (unless other sources of freshwater are available). It's a Natural Wonder, not technically a lake tile.

I understand it's a natural wonder, but can't you build observatories next to mountain natural wonders?

You can change this is in the civ5buildings.xml. Find <Building_FeatureYieldChanges>, add in:

<Row>
<BuildingType>BUILDING_FLOATING_GARDENS</BuildingType>
<FeatureType>FEATURE_LAKE_VICTORIA</FeatureType>
<YieldType>YIELD_FOOD</YieldType>
<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>

Also in civ5features_expansion2.xml Add freshwater to lake victoria by put in:

<AddsFreshWater>true</AddsFreshWater>

you can build observatories near ALL national wonders, because they are all counted as mountains.

(which should be changed)

It's an odd inconsistency - Kilimanjaro etc. count as mountains but Lake Victoria does not count as a lake. I think I would prefer to see Lake Victoria get a slight nerf down to +5 food, but get added as a freshwater source. Either way, you're right - this should get changed somehow.

Natural Wonders have always been messed up, but it seems like the devs don't want to bother putting in 2 more if statements in their code for certain wonders.

Lake Victoria is amusing as it is now. Not only does it count as a mountain, it behaves as one too! You can't see to the other side of it! Maybe there's a constant fog over the lake? But then why would it be an ideal site for an observatory? I'd imagine Firaxis will find it patch-worthy.

You can't put a farm on top of a sacred lake. I personally like the holy mountains, I always find them and settle right beside the holy mountains for the massive faith bonus. I don't have a problem with not developing a holy site.

I can't build Neuschwanstein in my current game right now, even though my city is next to Mount Kilimanjaro. I was able to build an observatory earlier in the game in that city, and nobody else has built the wonder yet. So it counts as a mountain, yet doesn't? I'm a bit confused too.

I can't build Neuschwanstein in my current game right now, even though my city is next to Mount Kilimanjaro. I was able to build an observatory earlier in the game in that city, and nobody else has built the wonder yet. So it counts as a mountain, yet doesn't? I'm a bit confused too.

Kilimanjaro is so powerful. It turns early/mid-game invasion into easy mode.

As I recall, the Disneyland castle wonder uses a different flag (near mountain); which is defined differently.

The code defining adjacent to mountain includes natural wonders because it's really looking for impassable terrain.
The code defining Near mountain actually looks for mountains.

It (and similar Natural Wonders) count as a mountain for the Observatory, but NOT for Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein.

That would be crazy. With ToA and FG, you would get the 2 extra food for 8, then 25% bonus would make 10 food for just that hex :)

I don't think that'd be any more crazy than getting 12 food(presumably) if you're playing Spain. :eek:

i think the lake counts as a source of freshwater for adjacent tiles though, i.e. giving +1 food for farms with civil service. so counting it as a real lake would only be consistent

i think the lake counts as a source of freshwater for adjacent tiles though, i.e. giving +1 food for farms with civil service. so counting it as a real lake would only be consistent

Unfortunately it doesn't act as a source of freshwater. Lazy programming from firaxis (again).

Top Bottom