Holy city - can it be wiped out by inquisitor after being conquered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe thats correct, at least before industrial era. If they pop another great prophet from their religion,it will be their original religion. They can then use this to reconvert some cities. After the industrial era, when you must buy the prophets I am not sure as I have never tried it. I know that missionaries will be the same religion as the major religion in the city, not sure if the same is true about the prophets.

Same for me. I know the Great Prophet is always the civ's founded religion when it is born pre-Industrial but also have never tested buying one in Industrial in a foreign religion city.

I have converted whole ai empire with a great prophet but then they get their prophet they will convert their cities back to their own religion so I think its the same for player that a great prophet can get your religion back from the dead.

Yes, GPs spawned by an empire will always be the religion founded by that empire (if it founded one)... also unsure about post-Renaissance Era purchases though.

I've successfully eliminated a religion before by using a great prophet and inquisitor on a captured holy city. In fact, I so thoroughly persecuted said faith across the world, that it ceased to even appear on the World Religion page. And no, the holy city didn't begin to exert pressure a few turns later, dead faith was dead.

It could make just as much sense that up until the industrial age the Greater Prophet is special and the religion of the town doesn't matter.

It also fits in with religious history. For example, in the Old Testament of people stop worshiping God until a prophet is sent to remind them.

Dumb question. What is a "Holy City"? Is it simply the location of where the GP is when you set up your religion? What advantages would a Holy City have?

In my game, I don't think I even knew what my or any other Holy Cities were.

There isn't any reason to found it elsewhere. Although I suppose founding it on a border town might make sense if you're trying to convert others to your religion.

Dumb question. What is a "Holy City"? Is it simply the location of where the GP is when you set up your religion? What advantages would a Holy City have?
It is the location of where the Great Prophet founded your religion. The only effect that it has on gameplay (aside from being the seat of your Founder belief, if you lose it) is that it produces extra Pressure, so ideally you'd like to have it as near to as many other cities as possible. But I don't think this is important enough to bother moving the Prophet from whatever city it spawned in, as delaying your Founding action even a turn risks losing the Beliefs you want to another civilization.

I've successfully eliminated a religion before by using a great prophet and inquisitor on a captured holy city. In fact, I so thoroughly persecuted said faith across the world, that it ceased to even appear on the World Religion page. And no, the holy city didn't begin to exert pressure a few turns later, dead faith was dead.

Does that free up a religion slot from where a great prophet of any player can set up another religion? As in, can a great prophet create a religion after you wiped out one of the established religions and its list of beliefs? Or does the religion stay dead, but once all 5 slots are filled with initial religions you can never create another one even if one is wiped as as you said?

The capital city of a founding religion = holy city,

I've never seen it placed elsewhere yet.

The city in which the GP founds the religion = Holy City. I've seen a few AI not use their capital and I've used a different city on one or two occassions (better for spread and only took one or two turns to reach).

The benefits of a Holy City is +10 (on marathon at least, think it's 5x city pressure so probably +30 on standard and +20 on epic) internal pressure to help resist outside pressure from neighboring cities of different religions. Another "benefit" is if you take the Holy City of an AIs it's a big diplo black mark against you (double if it was their capital since you get "took their original capital" as well) - always a good idea to completely exterminate in such cases... :assimilate:

Does that free up a religion slot from where a great prophet of any player can set up another religion? As in, can a great prophet create a religion after you wiped out one of the established religions and its list of beliefs? Or does the religion stay dead, but once all 5 slots are filled with initial religions you can never create another one even if one is wiped as as you said?

I have not a clue as the AI didnt precede to found a new one, though I personally doubt it. I think that page is more to just keep track of the faiths and simply stopped following the faith that had no believers.

There's a lot of bad info in this thread.

I like to play marathon and I always go religious, yes you can wipe out a religion.

Holy City's lose their inherent religious pressure when not owned by the original civ who's capital it is.

If you take the Vic's capital and hit it with an inquisitor, it's done.
If you then use a prophet on the religions remaining cities, the religion is dead 100%.

Literally, I've taken a holy city, used and Inquisitor on it, then used a prophet on the other cities and then GIVEN THE CITY to another civ, 500 turns later not a single follower or "holy city" tag is there.

So, to sum it up, yes you can wipe a religion out. Take the holy city and use an inquisitor, then take ALL the other cities with whatever GP or whatever. It's gone for good (unless they have a GP lying around)

^^^^

Actually. Now that I think about it...

I am 99% sure that I have played games where I did this to remove a religion and then gave the capital back to the original owning civilization and the religion still does not come back. I'm pretty sure that I've actually played games where I eliminated every other religion and the entire planet only followed my religion

This is old news. it has long been established that inquisitors can permanently remove Holy City status.

Moderator Action: Please do not revive 4-year-old threads. Let the dead rest in peace. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom